skydived19006

Damn the SIM pisses me off at times!

Ok, so this is a bit of a rant. The SIM and possibly the IRM piss me off at times! A skydiver asked me if he could tag along on a tandem this coming weekend. I thought that I'd simply cut and paste the suggested jump requirements for that from the SIM/IRM, but God danm if I can't f'ing find it! It could be a bit more user friendly!
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

skydived19006

Ok, so this is a bit of a rant. The SIM and possibly the IRM piss me off at times! A skydiver asked me if he could tag along on a tandem this coming weekend. I thought that I'd simply cut and paste the suggested jump requirements for that from the SIM/IRM, but God danm if I can't f'ing find it! It could be a bit more user friendly!

From the SIM:
Chapter 13, Section 2.1
Skydivers participating in a freefall group skydive consisting of a tandem instructor in a single harness with a student, along with one or more separate jumpers, either with or without camera equipment, should adhere to the following guidelines:
a) All jumpers should have a minimum of 500 group freefall skydives, 100 of which should be naked jumps.
b) A certified Skygod (c) tattoo should be prominently displayed on their asscheek.
c) A minimum of 5 oz. of titanium should be internally installed on each jumper accompanying the tandem pair.

This should winnow out your suitable candidates just a bit. ;)
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

skydived19006

The PDF version is easy to search....more or less.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

I just tell them roughly what the manufacturers require:
500+ jumps
Good RW Skill and Currency
Instructors rating, of TI or AFF

Then I tell them the about the fatality of the guy that collided with his mother and the tandem instructor on opening.

They usually take it pretty well when they realize they could kill me & their friend that they want to jump with or themselves if things don't go to plan.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

DougH

I just tell them roughly what the manufacturers require:
500+ jumps

Then I tell them the about the fatality of the guy that collided with his mother and the tandem instructor on opening.

They usually take it pretty well when they realize they could kill me & their friend that they want to jump with or themselves if things don't go to plan.

In all seriousness though arent these rules mainly to protect the manufacturers from yet another lawsuit? Because accidents caused by newbies who cant fly, can happen at anytime when jumpers are within close proximity.
I mean look at what happened to Cliff Schmucker last year.

As a non-TI, I guess the only advantage being a solo flier gives you is that it would be easier to get out of someone's way prior to impact, than it would be for a TI with a student strapped to them?

Doug_Davis

As a non-TI, I guess the only advantage being a solo flier gives you is that it would be easier to get out of someone's way prior to impact, than it would be for a TI with a student strapped to them?

Yes, with that person on the front and that big drogue trailing out the back, it's really hard to duck and dodge and get out of the way of an inbound meat missle. :S

Doug_Davis

***I just tell them roughly what the manufacturers require:
500+ jumps

In all seriousness though arent these rules mainly to protect the manufacturers from yet another lawsuit? Because accidents caused by newbies who cant fly, can happen at anytime when jumpers are within close proximity.
I mean look at what happened to Cliff Schmucker last year.

Sure, it obviously is to cover the mfgrs' asses, but that doesn't mean that safety considerations don't co-exist with that agenda. For one, is the fact that almost all tandem passengers are students with little or no skydiving experience; and arguably the highest standard of care must be shown toward students who don't have the capacity to make an informed judgment for themselves. (That being said, it would be reasonable to apply the same standard to lurking an AFF jump, for example.)

That being said, it would be reasonable to apply the same standard to lurking an AFF jump, for example.

Negative! FIFY - ;)

Absolutely no one who does not themselves have an active, current AFF rating, and known capabilities as such to me personally, is lurking any AFF dive that I'm involved with. Regardless of their other cumulative jump #'s / supposed experience.
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Scrumpot

Absolutely no one who does not themselves have an active, current AFF rating, and known capabilities as such to me personally, is lurking any AFF dive that I'm involved with. Regardless of their other cumulative jump #'s / supposed experience.

I think it would be unfair for the AFF student who's spent big bucks on ground school and the jump itself to have either him or both AFFI's potentially distracted by someone else on the jump notwithstanding the safety aspects too.

Scrumpot

That being said, it would be reasonable to apply the same standard to lurking an AFF jump, for example.

Negative! FIFY - ;)

I've allowed a non-AFF-I rated videographer to film an AFF (the student insisted on video) once or twice. We usually gave them the briefing that they cannot be anywhere above, below or within 15' of any of us. Usually they'd fly in and get a face shot or two, but spend the rest of the time out of sight of the student and where one of the AFF-I's could see them.

I can see the desire to only have AFF rated instructors in the air, but sometimes you're given the cards you're dealt. At least we were able to make sure the videographer was capable in our eyes of staying out of our way.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Doug_Davis

In all seriousness though aren't these rules mainly to protect the manufacturers from yet another lawsuit? Because accidents caused by newbies who cant fly, can happen at anytime when jumpers are within close proximity.

What are you getting at? :S Are you implying that the rules set by the manufacturer are primarily motivated for legal reasons? That is asinine!

The rules are mainly for the safety of the tandem instructor and passenger/student who doesn't fully understand the increased risks of including other jumpers on their skydive. If you don't cripple or injure the tandem pair you greatly reduce the risk of lawsuits. An uninjured healthy student doesn't normally have grounds to sue your skydiving equipment company. Bonus!

There are plenty of jumpers who have the free fall skills, situational awareness, and intelligence to safely interact with a tandem at jump numbers well bellow the manufacturers recommendations. There are also plenty of jumpers that couldn't handle it at well past 500 jumps, hence the rating requirement. The rules try to set a bar for safety that limits the lower common denominator jumper.

I don't directly give flying fuck about the manufacture getting sued, I care about keeping my tandem students safe, and I try to conduct my jumps in the safest way possible. It just so happens that keeping my students safe reduces lawsuits for me and them. Go figure. :|
=P

Couldn't agree more.

I'm out there doing best for me and my student. A novice jumper wanting to geek my student adds an increased risk for me. Risks I don't want to take and open myself up to legal implications if anything happens.

I have no problems when someone asks - telling them no !!!.

If you meet the requirements then I'll consider your request. 500 jumps is really not that much. Nobody thinks that they will fuck up - I guess the guy that killed his mother thought that as did that tandem instructor.

DougH

In all seriousness though aren't these rules mainly to protect the manufacturers from yet another lawsuit? Because accidents caused by newbies who cant fly, can happen at anytime when jumpers are within close proximity.

What are you getting at? :S Are you implying that the rules set by the manufacturer are primarily motivated for legal reasons? That is asinine!

I won't imply that, I will state that: the rules set by the tandem manufacturers are primarily there to stave of the possibility of lawsuits. Since they really can't enforce those rules, they lobby USPA to do it for them.

Think about it: the manufacturers make rules that they don't even have to enforce, they just call up someone at HQ and it gets done. No matter how onerous the rule might be, no matter how silly, it just doesn't matter, the membership gets to fund the enforcement.

Think about that next time you are paying your membership renewal.

Jump more, post less!

>What are you getting at? Crazy Are you implying that the rules set by the
>manufacturer are primarily motivated for legal reasons? That is asinine!

No it's not; you explain why in the next paragraph:

>The rules are mainly for the safety of the tandem instructor and
>passenger/student who doesn't fully understand the increased risks of including
>other jumpers on their skydive. If you don't cripple or injure the tandem pair you
>greatly reduce the risk of lawsuits. An uninjured healthy student doesn't normally
>have grounds to sue your skydiving equipment company. Bonus!

The very best way to avoid a lawsuit is to not have injuries and fatalities.

topdocker

I won't imply that, I will state that: the rules set by the tandem manufacturers are primarily there to stave of the possibility of lawsuits. Since they really can't enforce those rules, they lobby USPA to do it for them.

They can revoke your manf. rating, I would say that is a pretty strong enforcement ability. :ph34r:
=P

DougH

Stuff

Chill dude. I was asking. I am learning. Im absorbing knowledge. I wasnt trying to be a pontificating newbie. But BillVon's response captured what I meant.

Although I did notice that the USPA recommendations for flying camera for a tandem jump are lower then what some manufacturers recommend for someone lurking a tandem jump.

DougH

They can revoke your manf. rating, I would say that is a pretty strong enforcement ability.

The FARs mention only the manufacturer's training to get the rating initially. Once trained, a person cannot be "untrained".

I have heard of a manufacturer writing an FAA FSDO to tell them that they no longer endorse (or something of that nature) a particular tandem instructor, but I don't know if that means much.

The manufacturers have significant control over their examiners however.

The thread "class III medical question in relation to DUI" in the Tandem forum has some good explanations about this by "stratostar" starting about halfway down the thread.