1 1
BIGUN

Engineering/Physics Question

I follow a few science types on Twitter. In the feed this morning, one of them showed a cup of coffee drug across a table creating ripples in the liquid and said this is an example of the "Faraday Wave." I use these little science McNuggets to explore, but I can't find a "use" for the Faraday Wave. Is it something that has a practical application or is it just something to be observed?

OK Nevermind. When in doubt; go to ChatGPT:

Faraday waves are a type of standing wave that can occur on the surface of a liquid when it is subjected to a periodic driving force, such as oscillating pressure or vibration. One everyday use of Faraday waves is in the production of coffee crema.

When coffee is brewed, the hot water passing through the coffee grounds creates a layer of foam on the surface of the liquid. This foam, known as crema, is formed by the action of Faraday waves on the surface of the coffee. The hot water passing through the coffee grounds creates pressure waves that cause the surface of the liquid to oscillate, generating Faraday waves. These waves create a series of ripples on the surface of the liquid, which trap and stabilize the bubbles of gas that make up the foam.

Faraday waves are also used in a number of other everyday applications, such as in the production of foam rubber and in the separation of mixtures of fluids or particles.

10 hours ago, BIGUN said:

I follow a few science types on Twitter.

I never really got into any of that twitter/facebook stuff, but lately I've been reading things by Sabine Hossenfelder who's been a breath of fresh air and good for science.  She also has a youtube channel called Science Without the Gobbledygook, which was much needed - I just wish she came around a little sooner.  Some of her humor is a little cheesy at times, but the nerd in me thinks it's kind of cute in a weird way.

Also,  I haven't read much of his stuff, but enjoy watching interviews with Roger Penrose.  For some reason the guy's just hilarious to me and I like how he thinks.  I recently came across a video where he had a debate with Sabine and Michio Kaku about abandoning multiverse theory, which was kind of interesting/funny.

I also like watching interviews by Lex Friedman. He's a weird dude, but has a long guestlist of top talent in select fields.

Any other reccomendations would be appreciated.

• Like 1

Here are the channels I follow which have a science/engineering slant:

The Action Lab - Short science experiments.

driving 4 answers - Bosnian dude covers automotive engineering with outstanding explanations.

minutephysics - Short physics topics.

Practical Engineering - Civil engineering, often analyzing disasters.

Real Engineering - Irish dude covers assorted engineering topics.

SmarterEveryDay - A must see for anyone interested in engineering.  The dude gets invited to places the public can't go, e.g. a USN sub on active duty at the North Pole, probably owing to incredibly friendly, knowledgable personality. He worked as an engineer for the defense industry, and last I knew was working toward PhD.

Steve Mould - UK dude covers assorted engineering topics and does his own experiments.

Technology Connections - If it is something you encounter in your daily life, he covers it.

Tom Scott -UK dude covers assorted topics, and some involve engineering, in his travels

Tech Ingredients - Dude has huge home lab and probably spends more money than any other channel, doing incredibly complex experiments involving chemistry/engineering/physics, often with his adult sons. He is cagey about his identity, but after watching all his videos, I finally figured it out. He is an MD.

Veritasium - Physics PhD with Australian background. Physics/engineering topics.

SciShow - Short topics on cutting edge science, with a new video almost every day.

Applied Science - Only occasionally puts out videos, very lab focused.

3Blue1Brown - Purely mathematics focused. The most pleasant speaking voice imaginable, and the most amazing moving graphics to show the concepts. The math prof I wish I'd had in engineering school.

Edited by ryoder
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BIGUN said:

The universe is screwing with me. Scrolling thru Twitter land and one of the science types points to this video by Rober: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My4RA5I0FKs&ab_channel=MarkRober

Queue twilight zone music

I did research on fluidized beds back in 1964, but instead of sand it was sugar.

PS the universe is screwing with you in more fundamental ways than that.

• Like 1