xlh883

"Are you a jumper?" video...

I liked it, except for the poetic statement that we don't care about the odds or the outcome. I very much care about both. I care if I survive the jump, and if skydiving fatalities were 1 in 100 jumps, I most definitely would not be doing it regularly.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

JeffCa

if skydiving fatalities were 1 in 100 jumps, I most definitely would not be doing it regularly.

But you'd do it on occasion? The odds do not change based on how often you do something...only the chances of meeting whatever the odds are. The odds during russian roulette are always 1 in 6 (as long as you're using a revolver and only using one round); that doesn't change based on how often you participate.
Truth is the distilled meaning of facts, for any truth refuted by a fact becomes a fallacy.

Your prospect of long term survival does, though.
Everything you do has a chance of causing death, but if this chance is small you have to do it many times to approach a high possibility of this to happen.
It's all relative.
And defining what your "acceptable risk" is, well, that's part of skydiving and every skydiver should have thought about it.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

JamMasterJay

***if skydiving fatalities were 1 in 100 jumps, I most definitely would not be doing it regularly.

But you'd do it on occasion? The odds do not change based on how often you do something...only the chances of meeting whatever the odds are.

I'm very familiar with how odds work. I "most definitely would not be doing it regularly", but I don't know what my opinion would be of doing it once or twice. It depends on the degree of the perceived payoff. Something super-awesome like riding the Space Shuttle had roughly a 1-in-60 chance of being killed, but the reward was big enough that I'd have gone for it if given the chance. What odds would I take to try skydiving once? I don't really know.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

jackwallace

So if you're a tandem passenger and your TI has 10000 jumps does that give you no chance of making it alive?

You're considering the odds afterwards. The odds for the 10001st jump indeed don't change. But the odds of dying by a one time jumper and a jumper who wants to do 10000 jumps are not the same. The same for the Russian roulette: If I have won 100 games, the odds don't change for my 101st game. If I play the game once (let's say: odds of dying are 1/6), you have 5/6 = 83% chance of living - each time. But if you play the game 100 times, the chance of living is (5/6)^100, which is something around 0.000001%.

Math's a bitch :D

He clearly has his own ideas about what jumping is about and his own definition of 'a jumper' but he's definitely missing a few facts, lol.
A mind once stretched by a new idea never regains its original dimensions - Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr

I am bypassing any religious aspect and just looking at it as an inspirational video. The video encourages getting past road blocks and doing what you really want to do. Living life at its fullest and enjoying it.

But, if this guy was a first time tandem student, then it was kinda weird.

At any rate, I will admit seeing this video on my facebook page from my home dropzone that I fly for, actually inspired me to go back to the sport this weekend which I posted about in another thread. I am not a religious guy, but sometimes I need a little push like others do.

David