scottf1887

The fall or the flight....whats better

I've had some issues and arguments about this at various DZs. I enjoy being under canopy and flying much more than the fall. It has brought up some safety/load organizing issues with some when I want to pull high. I try to be last out when I can or when it makes sense, but am I wrong with a 6k opening if it is safely done? I get strange looks but the flight is the best part for me.

Nothing wrong with a high pull so long as it's compatible with the jump operations that day and you put yourself in the right part of the exit order. But you mention load organizing issues, and yes, that's where wanting to pull at 6K will probably be incompatible with what a load organizer wants to do, which is to design a skydive that is fun and safe for all participants, and that ends at a safe altitude for the group. That breakoff altitude will vary by group size and experience level, but for your average mid-sized fun jump, it's rarely going to be high enough to allow for a 6K pull altitude. Your goal/desire to pull high isn't going to match up with what the rest of a typical organized group is likely to want, so a solo (or jumping with someone else who wants to pull high) is your best scenario.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Your profile says home DZ Sebastian and that you've done some CRW. Are you not pursuing CRW (it's the best way to have fun under canopy)? You're in the hot bed of east coast CRW. Finding a DZ to pull high at shouldn't be a problem. You may have to drive though.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

Pulling at 6k? Why not top floor? I do many jumps every season whene I open at 13.5 and jump float around. No safety issues, as long as the pilot and other jumpers know and plan accordingly.

If you're doing a group jump (ie: 4 way or whatever) and want to open higher than everyone else, I can see a lot of concern there because there are likely other people behind you still in freefall. That's not good.

Maybe hit up a little bit of a slower operating DZ to get your top floor jumps in? I generally jump at single plane DZ's, but I did several high altitude H+P's when I came down to Zhills for the Christmas boogie. At times, they had 4 or 5 planes running and it wasn't generally an issue.
"When once you have tasted flight..."

I am not clear if the problem is with your GROUP (in that case, yes, it can be, occasionally groups let people do a higher pull in place when friends are trying canopy or there is a big difference of experiences, but it's a little more dangerous if not done right, every other group has to know and plan accordingly, it stops the dive flow for everybody, so it's something you want to do occasionally for specific reasons and not routinely just because a guy likes to pull high...it's just not a good practice) or with your LOAD (in that case, as long as you communicate with the load organizer and you exit accordingly, the only other problems are with upper winds and spots, but they are fairly manageable).

I've been to a handful of DZ in this last year, from small family owned single cessna DZ to big DZ with multiple turbine loads in the air at the same time. I've never been refused a high pull (except once, I was "strongly discouraged", because the upper were too strong for my WL and experience, I didn't think about it but I thought about asking).

If you know who to ask and you are understanding of the fact that it might not always be possible to satisfy your request, I'd say that generally there are no problems with it! Next time somebody brings up "safety/load organizing issues" asks specifically "what issues?" and listen to the explanation.

Generally speaking though, when I think of high pull, I'd think of doing a solo (or a group of high pullers) and pulling at 11-12k, routinely pulling at 6k, right in the middle of other people's freefall might concern a couple of LOs for good reason.
If you have to pull high, get out very last of the load, let the pilot take you further out and take a very short delay to pull above 10k-ish if not a real clear and pull, so you stay out of the way for the whole time (only thing, better if the pilot knows so he won't turn into your canopy after he's done with jumprun, and also he'll wait for you to get the longer spot you need).

I love high pulls.
The high pull at sunset two or three miles out over the Arizona desert is still to date one of my best jumps ever!
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.