wicodefly

Accuracy Logging Question for C License

I'm in the US and having fun working towards a C license.

I've read the SIM, asked instructors, and searched the forums and need more clarity on how to properly declare and log an accuracy landing for a C license.

I know this is mainly on the honor system and I want to do it right. I just don't know exactly what "right" is.

In the SIM in the requirements for a C license it says you need to:

3-1 E. 3. c.
"c. landed within two meters of target center on 25 jumps"

For logging landing accuracy (as far as I can find) it says to log:

3 C 1. b. (7)
"(7) landing distance from the target"

I'm trying to properly log my accuracy landings which are getting better a\over time. One awesome thing at my DZ is that we have a day each week where all we do is work on canopy skills. It's really helpful. I'm working on accuracy, so it fits perfectly with my next skydiving goal.

A few questions:

1) Do I need to declare where I'm landing before boarding the aircraft or at some other time? From what I've read this is how declarations for Pro ratings work but I haven't found anything about C licenses. How can one demonstrate accuracy?

2) What does "target" mean? Is it a point on the ground? A 5-ft box painted box? At my DZ we have several painted and a large mowed targets. One is like a 25-foot circle with smaller circles inside (really visible from the air). Others are about 3 ft. circles. There is also a disc that you can lay on the ground wherever you choose.

3) Who can sign off as a witness? I read it to say it has to be an AFF-I, but I'm unsure if that's for every jump or just on the license application.

Is there a consensus or other info from USPA on these questions? Maybe I'm over thinking it.... Either way, it sure if fun working towards these goals.

Thanks in advance!
Chance favors the prepared mind.

To answer your questions in order:

1. Talk to the person signing off on the jump to determine how they want to handle declaring your target. I assume they would want to you to let them know what your intended target is prior to jumping.

2. It states in the SIM that it is from "center target". Center target would be a point on the ground. For example, on the 25 foot circle you referenced, it would be the center of the circle. If you are using a disc it would be the center of the disc.

3. Who can sign off on your jumps can be found in SIM section 3.1.C:

2. Jumps for license and rating qualifications must be signed by another licensed skydiver, a pilot, or a USPA National or FAI Judge who witnessed the jump.

3. Jumps to meet skill requirements must be signed by a USPA Instructor, Instructor Examiner, Safety & Training Advisor, or a member of the USPA Board of Directors.

Landing within 2m of a target would be a skill requirement so you would need one of the individuals listed in part 3 to sign off.

Good luck on earning the C license!

For what is worth, I consider the 2m target the peas (in DZs where A licenses are allowed to hit the peas), or the big X everywhere else. They're generally reasonable estimations, I think.
If I land inside the peas or inside the arms of the X, that's <2m accuracy to me and I write it in my logobook then make sure somebody signs it to avoid problems later down the road, that's how I keep track and I think it's a fairly correct method. No need to "declare" that you were aiming for either the peas or the X, that much people give for granted. :D
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

Yea, that's one of the issues, people interpret it differently. The point on the ground makes sense to me though because a C license is serious and you have to be accurate.

Looking at it from a prespective of being a competent and safe canopy pilot it's important.

I have more than the 25 required accuracy landings over the last 150 jumps but it is not consistent yet. When I have landed out, I've been really accurate.
Chance favors the prepared mind.

As long as you and the person signing for the jump agree, it really doesn't matter what the target is.

I've seen an S&TA toss an empty beer case on the ground and say "There's your target. Hit it."

There wasn't enough wind to move it any before I landed near it.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo