wicodefly

Vegas week of 7/14/14

I'll be in Vegas for a few days the week of 7/14. Are there usually sport jumpers at one of the nearby DZs like Vegas Extreme or Sin City Skydiving during the weekdays?

I mostly do RW and just looking to see if it's worth going out or if anyone will be down there and want to join in the fun.

Thanks!
Chance favors the prepared mind.

I just got back from Las Vegas two days ago. I did a jump or two every day at Vegas Extreme. They are a tandem factory but got me on the first load every day and couldn't have been nicer. I wouldn't count on more than one load a day as they quick turn very early in the morning and are frequently done before 11am.

I met three other fun jumpers there, one guy has two wingsuit rigs and does back to backs as frequently as he can, the last day I was there two other folks were fun jumping and we tried to get a freefly jump together.

You can't land at the airport so they have you land in a gravel/sand cul-de-sac looking thing south of the airport next to I-15. It's a wide open area with tons of outs but if you go there make sure you have it spotted before exit.

My only gripe was $40 lift tickets, but with limited time they were great about getting me in and out quickly. Everyone there was wonderful and helpful, the plane was nice, and I'm sure if I had more time or if I had brought my wing suit I could have gotten some fun jumps in with that.

I don't think Sin City or Boulder City take fun jumpers, so the locals all seem to go to Vegas Extreme on weekdays and travel to Mesquite for fun jumps on weekends.

Hope it helps and blue skies!

Cool. Thanks for the info man. Good to know about the landing area. I will check it out

Has anyone tried the bungee jump off the space needle looking building? Is it worth it?

Mornings-ish are perfect for me. If anyone will be out and wants to jump let me know.

Everything said is true....However, Sin City skydiving is no longer in buisness and Boulder City doesnt even entertain the notion of fun jumpers. If you can pack fast I would say you could jump 3 or 4 times. It depends on how many tourists they have booked in vs how many tandem masters are available. But yes, open at 7 and closed by midday due to the heat, desert wind and resulting dust devils.

wicodefly

Good info. Thanks! Great that they open so early.

I was contemplating whether or not to take my jumpsuit. Might be too hot. Jumped in AZ before so I should be ok.

Yeh jump suit is a must. If you happen to butt slide or calf slide in youre in for a rough ride. Make sure your documents are in order and that you have and AAD. There isnt much (none?) gear for hire.

Thanks for the vid, helps a ton.Good to see the landing area in that desert.

PAC is my favorite jump plane. We have a great one at my home DZ so I will feel right at home, except for the lack or greenery and water :)

wicodefly

Thanks for the vid, helps a ton.Good to see the landing area in that desert.

PAC is my favorite jump plane. We have a great one at my home DZ so I will feel right at home, except for the lack or greenery and water :)

No problem, one other thing I forgot is that the landing area is roughly 200 feet lower than the airport.

oozzee

Go to mesquite,,75 mins north of vegas...you will have fun
don't waste your time or patience at any of the LV Dzs ,,,they don't want you,just your money,,

Are there more fun/sport jumpers up there during the weekdays? I will be able to jump Monday, Tuesday, and/or Wednesday.

Any other reasons to drive ~1.5 hours instead if staying in Vegas? I would think there would be a healthy fun jumper population in Vegas.

wicodefly

Has anyone tried the bungee jump off the space needle looking building? Is it worth it?

It isn't a bungee jump. They call it a freefall, but the short version is that they attach you to the end of a long rope and lower you quickly to the ground.

Is it worth it? Depends on what you are looking for. Personally, I thought that it was pretty cool to do something really different. The down side is that just about anyone can do it.

https://vimeo.com/63574503
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

oozzee

Go to mesquite,,75 mins north of vegas...you will have fun
don't waste your time or patience at any of the LV Dzs ,,,they don't want you,just your money,,

I've heard nothing but wonderful things about Mesquite. I called them before I headed to Nevada and asked about making some jumps, but they said the best they could do was maybe a Cessna load if some students show up. If you have the time for a day trip I would definitely give them a call and see what's going on.

I was in Las Vegas for a friends wedding so I had a bunch of stuff to do every day starting late morning to early afternoon. I would wake up at 7, drive 15 minutes to Vegas Extreme, jump on the first load, pack, sometimes get on load 2, and be back in Las Vegas at the hotel early. The latest I made it back to Las Vegas packed after two loads was 10:15am. They run a very efficient operation.

If you can make a day trip out of it Mesquite would probably be ideal, but if you're looking to get some quick jumps in and go on about your business Vegas Extreme is great.

I jumped in shorts every day, but noticed that the tandem instructors all wear motocross pants and they had spare legstraps for the tandem rigs so sliding seems to be the norm.

I also think Sin City is back up and running, someone was putting tandems out of a Cessna while I was there.

I'm a regular jumper who lives in Las Vegas. Most of the fun jumpers go to Mesquite to jump. Call Brad (the DZO) in advance. He sends the 182 up on weekdays if he has students or tandems, but there doesn't tend to be much of a fun jumping scene on weekdays... mostly on weekends. If you ask Brad, he might know if some fun jumpers are planning on showing up.

theplummeter

Here's a video of a sloppy solo jump from last week. Nothing too cool, but it shows the landing area and the PAC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6EYbZ_4SfY

Just my $.02, but that toggle issue you had looked more than a little bit scary. You might want to talk to your rigger/packer about that.

For my part, if I saw my toggle out of its keeper and ready to tie itself up, I might stop fucking with trying to pull my slider down and first make sure I had good steering line control, especially in the high desert in the summer. Glad it worked out for you. :)
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

kuai43

***Here's a video of a sloppy solo jump from last week. Nothing too cool, but it shows the landing area and the PAC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6EYbZ_4SfY

Just my $.02, but that toggle issue you had looked more than a little bit scary. You might want to talk to your rigger/packer about that.

For my part, if I saw my toggle out of its keeper and ready to tie itself up, I might stop fucking with trying to pull my slider down and first make sure I had good steering line control, especially in the high desert in the summer. Glad it worked out for you. :)
It was weird, and the first time I've ever had it happen. I packed it, so if it was out of the keeper that was my fault, although I'm fairly sure it was in the keeper when I packed it. I decided to feed it through the grommet as it was still stowed through the finger trap as was the other side.

SansSuit

It isn't a bungee jump. They call it a freefall, but the short version is that they attach you to the end of a long rope and lower you quickly to the ground.

Is it worth it? Depends on what you are looking for. Personally, I thought that it was pretty cool to do something really different. The down side is that just about anyone can do it.

https://vimeo.com/63574503

Thanks for sharing man. Cool video and it looks like fun!