sundevil777

Less distraction-turning the flashing light off

My idea is to promote the practice of setting gopro cameras so the red light doesn't flash when recording.  Better to just press it firmly and quickly - not bothering anyone with a camera check, not using a small mirror.

Cameras are enough distraction, this would help in my opinion.  Plus, people look silly trying to mime their flashing light check request before the camera even had enough time to start flashing!

I've been doing this for the few years I've been jumping a camera.  What do you think?

17 hours ago, sundevil777 said:

...not using a small mirror.

I've used the small stick-on mirror provided with the Viso altimeter for years and like it. I don't have to rely on any aircraft I'm in for a mirror and I don't have to bother anyone to check the indicator light.

As for checking my own gear - in this case camera gear - being a distraction, I disagree. I see it as being the same as checking my handles, harness connections, altimeter reading, etc.

If checking an indicator light is too much of a distraction for a jumper to stay safe they should leave the camera on the ground.

• Like 1

I think that may have the opposite effect - not knowing if your equipment is working or not causes stress levels to raise.

Imagine you and your friends are about to film an epic sunset jump you've been practicing all day. You did all your rigs checks, and finally you want to check the camera. But as there's no light or any indication so you start bothering people around you to confirm if equipment is in working condition. That may cause additional stress for you and distraction for both jumpers at times when everyone is focused on something important (like repeating jump plan in their heads)

If someone has safe and reliable techniques of checking their equipment operating status, I see no reason as to why change it.

10 hours ago, the.Legend said:

I think that may have the opposite effect - not knowing if your equipment is working or not causes stress levels to raise.

I haven't had any second thoughts in the 3 years or so I've been doing it, but that is a real possibility, and why I asked.  I've never failed to push the button properly, and don't understand why so many don't trust it to turn on.  I don't like being asked by others to confirm their light is blinking.  I suppose the motivation for my idea is largely to stop people from bothering me when I am concentrating, and wishing they wouldn't be distracted by their lack of confidence in the camera to turn on.  

The camera can be confirmed to be on by looking at the display, so it can be confirmed in the rare scenario where I might not push the button cleanly,