GregAndrea

Aerodyne Pilot 9 cell LPV

I would like to get some feedback on the Flare characteristics of the Aerodyne LPV Pilot 9 cell canopy.  I have heard that the Low Pack Volume canopy might be lacking in the Flare power?  If anyone has experience, I would love your feedback/opinion.  I would have a wing loading of right around 1 or slightly less.

I've not flown the LPV version, although those that I know have haven't mentioned anything about being different than the regular version, which I've over 1,000 jumps on in various sizes. 168, 150, 132, and a few smaller sizes here and there. 

The pilot has one of the best, consistent openings of any canopy. It's easy to pack (and the attachment point coloring makes flaking much easier for a beginner). It's very forgiving of beginner technique as long as you get the basics right (slider, brakes stowed, pilot chute cocked). It also has a long glide. 

The flare is not the best compared to some other canopies. If your brake lines are a bit too long, you'll miss out on some of that flare power. Pilots (and Safire 2s) are more sensitive to that than other canopies, generally speaking. 

Don't get me wrong, the flare is powerful enough to get the job done, but it's not as strong as say a Sabre 2's flare (though the Pilot has much better openings overall compared to a Sabre 2). Everything in this sport is a tradeoff. 

My first canopy was Pilot 188 ZPX, loaded 1.2. I never suffered any issues with the flare, I had good landings and (almost) always standing. So far I have flown couple of smaller ZP canopies and I don't see any major difference. Considering that there are many other characteristics affecting the flare, like wing loading, trim, brakes, air speed...

Packing a brand new canopy was also surprisingly easy! As a newbie skydiver I learned to pack it during like 10 jumps. And the container fit was tight! I have had lot more trouble with regular ZP canopies with 200+ jumps.

Edited by hhh