AFFI

Misrouted Cheststrap – How to survive?

In my first year back (to jumping) after a 25 year lay off I had two mis-routed chest straps.

The rig I bought had a piece of velcro on the chest strap. It seems like I was usually in a hurry to rig up and I'd just thread it through temporarily (wrong) and fasten it down on this piece of velcro with intention of threading it through right after doing up my leg straps. And then I'd forget about it.

Once I was sitting student in a Cessna, when an older jumper spotted it (threaded thru wrong, and only held in place by the velcro).

Several jumps later I did the same thing, and spotted it myself.

I since, cut off the piece of velcro, so I can't do this anymore.

They say if you ever forget to do a chest strap up once, you'll never forget again....Not me, it took two times.

I kind of miss the old days where you buckled it up and forgot about it. I don't recall anyone ever forgetting to buckle up a chest strap in the 70's....I'm paranoid now, and with good reason. Falling out of my harness doesn't sound like any fun at all...Steve1

At Eloy a week or so ago, I kept wondering why my chest strap (the elastic keeper part - not the buckle) kept sliding back toward the buckle...then realized it was misrouted. I fixed by about 8K while still on the climb. Yikes! I had noticed the sliding keeper even before boarding, but just didn't figure out the buckle/misrouting at the time as the reason why it was sliding back.
------------------------------------------------------
A smart thing to get in the habit of is to never put your chest strap partially through the keeper. If you start, finish! Don't let yourself get distracted. I get a pin check every load and check my chest strap and all my handles several times before exit. I am particularly anal about the chest strap and hackey!
Blues,
Conway

This old fuddy duddy doesn't remember chest straps being such a big problem back in the days when gear used B-12 snap hardware for a chest strap attachment. It was either snapped or not, and there was no ambiguity about it. But B-12 snaps would never fly today - they're way too uncool.

What he said!
We all used B-12's when I started jumping in the 70's; then in the 1980's I left the sport; and when I got back into it a couple years ago, there was this whole "misrouted chest strap" shit. And it can kill you! WTF's with that? I thought newer gear was supposed to be safer! I still think it's bullshit. The current design is on my own gear, and so I do what I have to do (and eyeball everyone else on the plane), but I really wish there was something better.

Well, to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure I can remember a lot of rigs, even in the 70's, that used B12s for the chest straps. Even my Starlite had a thread-through for that.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

At Eloy a week or so ago, I kept wondering why my chest strap (the elastic keeper part - not the buckle) kept sliding back toward the buckle...then realized it was misrouted. I fixed by about 8K while still on the climb. Yikes! I had noticed the sliding keeper even before boarding, but just didn't figure out the buckle/misrouting at the time as the reason why it was sliding back.
------------------------------------------------------
A smart thing to get in the habit of is to never put your chest strap partially through the keeper. If you start, finish! Don't let yourself get distracted. I get a pin check every load and check my chest strap and all my handles several times before exit. I am particularly anal about the chest strap and hackey!
Blues,
Conway

What do you mean? It was all the way "through" the keeper - it was just misrouted through the buckle, so any tension pulled the keep toward the buckle. I just didn't "get" it until we had taken off.

What I meant was the strap must pass around then thru the buckle to be secured. To misroute it, it is only passed around once then put under the elastic band. Never do it halfway was the point. Around the buckle and then thru to be complete and then look at it and pull on it to be sure!

Ok. Jumping B4 harnesses (very different from whatever you've seen). I'd jump w/ no chest strap and a adjsusable harness self-ajusted to EEXXX Huge due to attitude. But comfortable.
GIVEN:
One does not want to leave their parachute harness on opening. (as this is against both the FARs and anti-litter laws)

Therefore, one in serious case of space-mind should (could):
1. Open with arms Above head. Do NOT let risers slip off the arms. If they slither, grab em w/ the elbows. Cross your arms above your heart. Remember, stupidity can hurt.
2. Flex at the waist a tad and PUT the feets on the butt. The knee joints will usually catch the harness. Ouch!
3. If you'd like to ever touch your toggles again, remember #1.

2-cats

[WARNING: Projessional idolt -- Do not try this at home!... or anywhere.... unless Murphy lurks... ]
Pat Works nee Madden Travis Works, Jr .B1575, C1798, D1813, Star Crest Solo#1, USPA#189,

These are cut and paste responses from a reply that I received private but would like to explain an attitude problem as I see it

Again, yes, I realize that. I usually do it correct -complacency kills which involves paying attention do not let yourself get distracted when it comes to safety - something I obviously didn't do in this instance. I know how to put my chest strap on right - I probably just wasn't paying attention to HOW I was doing it once again refer to 1 and 2, this attitude can land u dead!. I have a rubber band (actually a SkyBand) on the buckle to prevent it from from loosen and it is especially hard to move the SkyBand with gloves on. I was probably concentrating on just getting the damn strap through with the skyband providing a tight fit instead of actually threading the strap through the buckle right.Back to the basics, do not let yourself get distracted when it comes to safety, complacency kills. I read this reply over and over and keep coming up with the same answers! These statements bothered me in that no personal responsibility was ever taken. Excuses kill! Responsibilty saves your own life. This not directed at anything but what I perceive as a bad personal responsibility attitude! Usually isn't an excuse! I ALWAYS insure that I have the T's croosed and the I's dotted as should all. On one of my first pack jobs at USA I happened to ask Kat for a gear check on the ground waiting for the next load only because I had sean experienced jumpers doing this. I had a Racer which I really didnt understand packing from my lessons, I had packed a guaranteed pilot chute in tow! It would have been my first reserve ride guaranteed! I have been extremely humbled by this as it was like my 13th jump! Safety first! This is NOT a game but a very seriously dangerous sport! It deserves utter respect!
Peace,
\Conway
(rant over)

Hey Firstime,
I think your quoting the wrong bit there. The bit that makes this guy an asshat and a 100 jump wonder was the following response:

The jumper with the misrouted cheststrap then arrogantly commented something like - “I would have noticed it in freefall, rolled onto my back and fixed it then”. Is it possible that this person has been jumping often with a misrouted chest strap?

Marc

I agree with you Marc. I've been communicating with Mykel and he's been nothing but really helpful and respectful to me and I'm (just above a Wuffo)not even at the level of a 100 jump wonder. In fact he even states in the bottom of his post "everyone makes mistakes".

It doesn't matter how anyone else lives their life.... it matter how you live yours!

Well, to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure I can remember a lot of rigs, even in the 70's, that used B12s for the chest straps. Even my Starlite had a thread-through for that.

Wendy W.

The good ole days, of skydiving, for me were about 71 to 76. A lot of the jumpers in our club still had B-12 harness and containers then. Those who could afford new gear usually had quick ejector hardware on both chest and leg straps. (I don't recall seeing a thread thru, but there may have been).

I really liked quick ejector hardware, and never had any trouble with them, but have since heard that they may not have been too safe.

Things were really changing fast (gear wise) about 76 so I have no doubt thread thru chest straps may have come out in the latter 70's. That was the year that I quit the sport for a very long time....Steve1

Caught 1 misroute when gear checking ppl. Easy mistake to make...and not easy to spot either, as it's hardly a glaring error. Give it a tug.

If I noticed mine misrouted below 8k i don't think i'd try and fix it at all (and i doubt it would be noticed in the first half of a dive..) - i'm sure it's a lot harder than i'd like to think it is. Probably just mentally reherse the follwing a few times until pull time...

Dump with left hand deathgripped on right mlw and then whip the right one over. Suppose the fee thousand feet above that would be better spent getting stable with the left hand 'in' and contemplating what an idiot i am!

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

I've never met AFFI personally, but his posts on here paint the picture of someone who is both thoughtful and humble. I'm willing to bet that AFFI wouldn't have even reported this story (or if he had, he wouldn't have used the term "100 jump wonder") if the skydiver in question had responded with something less than arrogance about the situation.

I stand corrected for my response!!

CC: Pm to AFFI

This edit is to separate my words from theirs

These are cut and paste responses from a reply that I received private but would like to explain an attitude problem as I see it

Again, yes, I realize that. I usually do it correct -which involves paying attention something I obviously didn't do in this instance. I know how to put my chest strap on right - I probably just wasn't paying attention to HOW I was doing it .
---------------------------------------------------------this attitude can land u dead!. complacency kills do not let yourself get distracted when it comes to safety -
---------------------
I have a rubber band (actually a SkyBand) on the buckle to prevent it from from loosen and it is especially hard to move the SkyBand with gloves on. I was probably concentrating on just getting the damn strap through with the skyband providing a tight fit instead of actually threading the strap through the buckle right.
-------------------------------------------------------
Back to the basics, do not let yourself get distracted when it comes to safety, complacency kills.
-----------------------------------------------------
I read this reply over and over and keep coming up with the same answers! These statements bothered me in that no personal responsibility was ever taken. Excuses kill! Responsibilty saves your own life. This not directed at anything but what I perceive as a bad personal responsibility attitude! Usually isn't an excuse! I ALWAYS insure that I have the T's croosed and the I's dotted as should all. On one of my first pack jobs at USA I happened to ask Kat for a gear check on the ground waiting for the next load only because I had seen experienced jumpers doing this. I had a Racer which I really didn't understand packing from my lessons, as a newbie, I had packed a guaranteed pilot chute in tow(misrouted bridle)! It would have been my first reserve ride guaranteed! I have been extremely humbled by this as it was like my 13th jump! Safety first! This is NOT a game but a very seriously dangerous sport! It deserves utter respect!
Peace,
\Conway
(rant over)

I, also, once misrouted my chest strap and luckily the DZO came right up to me (who was on the same load as us) and said to me "Don't die" as he pulled on my cheststrap to demostrate how it just pulled itself off. I, to this day, am very thankful for what he did and now am always very careful of mine and others chest straps!

You'll never find me Jew gold!

I misrouted my chest strap twice.

First time, a tandem instructor caught the mistake and told me that if I do it again I wouldn't be allowed to jump and would have to fly down with the plane. That was around jump 30.

Unfortunately, I can be thick sometimes and it took a real lesson to let the importance of checking the chest strap sink in.

Around jump 60, I rushed to get on a load, and I realized in freefall that I misrouted my chest strap after doing a front-flip and coming out of it a bit unstable on my side. My harness almost came off -- to the point where the upper left side of my harness was down to my forearm.

I quickly bent my elbow to catch the side of the harness. If it weren't for that reflex, the left side would have been off. I can't imagine that I'd have made it to the ground in decent shape had that happened. I was cursing up a storm, freaked out indeed. I just remained stable and on my belly until pull time.

When pull time came, I crossed my arms as tightly as possible and luckily all went well. I then put the slack of the chest strap in my teeth as I finished the descent. I got to the ground feeling somewhat like a ghost -- like I shouldn't be alive. It was weird.

Since then, it has become my ritual to triple-check the leg straps, chest strap, handles, and three-rings before boarding and on the plane...and I don't exit until I'm 110% sure all is in order.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

that is my point my friend. Stop using the "100 jump wonder thing"to make a point. People who use that term
have graduated into the skygod class. How about this
" I saw a misrouted chest strap on a fellow SKYDIVER"

100 jump wonders exist, and it's their attitude that makes them such, not the fact that they have somewhere around 100 jumps. I realize you have around 100 jumps, but don't be so sensitive or argumentative. Over-confidence, demands for respect, and an argumentative nature are some classic traits of "100 jump wonders." Realistic self-assessments and a desire to learn more are traits of people who are not in an "X jump wonder" stage. I've met a few jumpers who have not ever (yet) gone through such stages. I'm not one of them. I do however hope I've gotten past such stages; I guess time will tell.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

My harness almost came off -- to the point where the upper left side of my harness was down to my forearm.

I quickly bent my elbow to catch the side of the harness.

I got to the ground feeling somewhat like a ghost -- like I shouldn't be alive. It was weird.

Now, that is a scary story....Steve1

I’ve heard (not seen) about a skydiver who had the chest strap routed threw his reserve handle (metal D-Type) and properly routed on the buckle side, this made me think a lot about it and a guess also a bit anal about gear check. I appreciate the fact that everyone at my home DC check themselves and also others. Luckily this mistake was pointed out and corrected before boarding the aircraft. I can only imagine the outcome of this if one needs to go silver…… :o

Anyone ever heard of this?

In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

chest
leg
leg
hacky
pin
cutaway
reserve

...if anyone can add to this please do.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Helmet
Altimeter
Goggles

Rule of 3's
3 rings
3 rings
3 metals (chest, leg, leg)
3 others (goggles, altimeter, helmet) (and yes, I reealize the helmet is optional for some of you.)

I kinda was referring to the essentials. I don't think that goggles, altimeter, helmet, and some other things are essential for keeping you alive after exit.

They're important. But if you simply want to live...worry about the few most important first then get yourself comfortable for happy flying. I like to distinguish the two into categories myself. Comforts are goggles, alti, helmet....if i forget any of these, I can still jump out, realize it, and still pull right away to save my life.

Although, the Alti thing is kind of a grey area probably.

I was watching Crosswind last night and I saw something that made me think of this thread. At the end of the movie there is a freeflyer (Olav I think), who ties his cheststrap in a knot after the buckle.

It seems to me that is would take away any chance of it causing an incident. Even if it was misrouted I think the knot would stop it at the buckle.

Dose anyone else do this?
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th