1 1
Phil1111

Elon Musk Going full trump

Everyone knows that trump hates criticism. That criticism often leads to a vendetta and a will for payback. Well it looks like Elon Musk through his twitter franchise is going the same way. He has now taken to banning journalists without explanation.

Twitter Suspends Accounts of Half a Dozen Journalists  "The accounts suspended included Ryan Mac of The New York Times; Drew Harwell of The Washington Post; Aaron Rupar, an independent journalist; Donie O’Sullivan of CNN; Matt Binder of Mashable; Tony Webster, an independent journalist; Micah Lee of The Intercept; and the political journalist Keith Olbermann." Who knew it was so easy! Just buy the company.

Elon Musk is using the Twitter Files to discredit foes and push conspiracy theories  Move aside Brent, Elon's ego needs more room in the rabbit hole.

9 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

That criticism often leads to a vendetta and a will for payback. Well it looks like Elon Musk through his twitter franchise is going the same way. He has now taken to banning journalists without explanation.

Shortly after the suspensions, Musk said on Twitter that the moves were not in retaliation for critical coverage.

"Criticizing me all day long is totally fine, but doxxing my real-time location and endangering my family is not," Musk tweeted.

Musk also claimed that one account that operated under the handle @ElonJet, run by a 20-year-old University of Florida student, was used by a "crazy stalker" in Los Angeles to follow a car carrying one of Musk's children.

https://www.npr.org/2022/12/15/1143291081/twitter-suspends-journalists-elon-musk-jet

Edited by BIGUN
Source Citation

1 hour ago, BIGUN said:

Shortly after the suspensions, Musk said on Twitter that the moves were not in retaliation for critical coverage.

"Criticizing me all day long is totally fine, but doxxing my real-time location and endangering my family is not," Musk tweeted.

Musk also claimed that one account that operated under the handle @ElonJet, run by a 20-year-old University of Florida student, was used by a "crazy stalker" in Los Angeles to follow a car carrying one of Musk's children.

https://www.npr.org/2022/12/15/1143291081/twitter-suspends-journalists-elon-musk-jet

Well the EU appears to have a different view.

"European Union lawmakers have wasted no time warning Twitter-owner Elon Musk over “arbitrary suspension of journalists” following reports late yesterday that a number of reporters who had recently written about Musk had had their Twitter accounts suspended without warning.

Věra Jourová, an EU vice-president for values and transparency, took to Twitter this morning to tweet the bloc’s concern over Musk’s actions — and to issue a pointed warning of “red lines” and “sanctions” baked into recently updated EU rules for digital services which she noted require respect for media freedom and fundamental rights."

The EU is quite diligent in fining companies for breaches of EU laws and freedoms.

'On Wednesday, Twitter issued what had appeared to be a permanent ban on @ElonJet, a bot account that used publicly available data to track the locations of Musk’s personal private jet, a Gulfstream G700. That’s despite Musk’s previous claim that he would not shut down the account.

My commitment to free speech extends even to not banning the account following my plane, even though that is a direct personal safety risk,” the billionaire tweeted Nov. 6,"

The journalists who were banned have admitted writing critical stories about Elon recently. None of which disclosed his "personal location".  Elon seems to flip flop on policy depending on what day of the week it is.

Edited by Phil1111

Twitter is now Musk’s personal sandbox, and he’s letting the cats dig around in it and crap.  Why on earth would someone want to play there? He can change the rules whenever he wants (“no girls with pigtails — that means Sally!”) pretty much. There are some governments that will push back, but as it goes full locker room, it’s going to lose its appeal  

Wendy P. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Twitter is now Musk’s personal sandbox, and he’s letting the cats dig around in it and crap.  Why on earth would someone want to play there? He can change the rules whenever he wants

Just as a point - DZ.com has forum rules. There have been some on here that have questioned the ban of others, but it's HH's house and rules are rules. Why is it not the same for Elon's sandbox?

1 minute ago, BIGUN said:

Just as a point - DZ.com has forum rules. There have been some on here that have questioned the ban of others, but it's HH's house and rules are rules. Why is it not the same for Elon's sandbox?

Yes and no. Media and companies that operate in the public space must conform to laws, restrictions, etc. That restricts conduct that would cause harm to the public and to others. Where they disseminate information or originate information. That is false, disruptive, or harmful to religious groups, or segments of society that are marginalized.

i.e. Broadcast standards laws.

41 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

It is.  

I think the problem is that we have pretty clear rules here (no personal attacks, no jokes about pedophilia etc) that I think are pretty fairly enforced.

Twitter has a similar offical set of rules, but also another unofficial set of rules - no posting about the location of Elon's jet, no criticizing any of Elon's companies, no journalists, no links to Mastadon etc etc.  

And he can do that as well; it's his site.  But it makes it a much less useful site if you have to obey rules you don't (and can't) know about.

54 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Why is it not the same for Elon's sandbox?

He indeed can do what he wants. No one is saying he can't, we are all just laughing at him as struggles and flip flops around over the big chunk of hubris he has bitten off and is gagging on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BIGUN said:

And look at how popular dz.com is any more... In this case, though, it's not the rules (although there was an attempt to form a competing skydiving forum, SonicBeef, for awhile), but it's just the format. People don't really join the Elks or the Masons like they used to, either.

Wendy P.

2 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

And look at how popular dz.com is any more... In this case, though, it's not the rules (although there was an attempt to form a competing skydiving forum, SonicBeef, for awhile), but it's just the format. People don't really join the Elks or the Masons like they used to, either.

Wendy P.

Why would anyone join the Elks or the Masons when you could join the Possum Lodge?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, billvon said:

Twitter has a similar offical set of rules, but also another unofficial set of rules - no posting about the location of Elon's jet, no criticizing any of Elon's companies, no journalists, no links to Mastadon etc etc.  

Frankly, I haven't seen anything he's done that's outside the official set of rules. https://help.twitter.com/en/rules-and-policies/twitter-rules

I "think" he's trying to clean it up - but time will tell and as Wendy states, it may not be the cool playground to go to in the future. 

2 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Frankly, I haven't seen anything he's done that's outside the official set of rules. https://help.twitter.com/en/rules-and-policies/twitter-rules

I "think" he's trying to clean it up - but time will tell and as Wendy states, it may not be the cool playground to go to in the future. 

I don't see where reposting publicly available first amendment protected information is against the rules?

7 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

I see no evidence that "cleaning it up" is his goal. All I see him doing is treating it like a personal playground. Unless you mean cleansing it of people who would dare to annoy him. He is rapidly showing more and more signs of focussing more on the cultish aspects of his empire. You know what they say about power.

1 minute ago, gowlerk said:

I see no evidence that "cleaning it up" is his goal. All I see him doing is treating it like a personal playground. Unless you mean cleansing it of people who would dare to annoy him. He is rapidly showing more and more signs of focussing more on the cultish aspects of his empire. You know what they say about power.

I don't see what you want to see.

11 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Posting flight data.

Posting the flight data is public

Posting of individuals on those flights is private. 

When that individual is met with people wanting to inflict harm on landing, then I think they have a right to have that information "delayed" not unlike the public media placing an "X" second delay to censor if needed. 

2 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Posting the flight data is public

Posting of individuals on those flights is private. 

When that individual is met with people wanting to inflict harm on landing, then I think they have a right to have that information "delayed" not unlike the public media placing an "X" second delay to censor if needed. 

Musk has recently claimed that someone was stalking his 2-year-old son, even posting a video of someone he claimed had stopped his car, and has tried to suggest this was a direct result of the ElonJets account. But open-source intelligence researchers have located where the video was taken, noting it was nowhere near an airport and roughly a day later than any flight by Musk’s private jet.

Source: Gizmodo: Elon Musk Kills Twitter Audio Feature After Bizarre Talk With Journalists

3 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Musk has recently claimed that someone was stalking his 2-year-old son, even posting a video of someone he claimed had stopped his car, and has tried to suggest this was a direct result of the ElonJets account.

I read what he wrote and that's not it. He was explaining about the son AND how easy it would be for someone to do again if they followed ElonJets.  

EDIT: It was an analogy, not a correlation. 

Edited by BIGUN

20 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

I read what he wrote and that's not it.

Like most public figures Elon dislikes the lack of privacy that comes with the spotlight. I don't blame him for using the power that spending all that money has brought him to attempt to limit what he can of that on the platform he owns. But of course it is futile because there are so many other platforms, and he was already on record as saying he would not do that. He has the same chance of sending people to Mars that he does of controlling that information. Exactly zero.