TheAnvil

Low Level Wraps - options?

I was in Sebastian this weekend nad witnessed the low level wrap that occurred. Both jumpers lived, thank God. Anyway, the incident got the 'what would I have done?' synapses firing in the odd Vinny-mind. I've not formed a definitive answer yet, so I thought I'd start some discussion.

Anybody with some experience have any thoughts on this? My own thought was that since the wrap was too low for a reserve to have inflated, the lower jumper popping the reserve would have given a bit more drag and slowed the combined system down a slight bit. In another thread in 'Incidents' a REALLY experiened CRWdog was of the opinion that had a fully inflated reserve been on the lower jumper a possible downplane condition would have existed - I can see that too.

Just wanted to see some other folks' thoughts on the topic.

tequila shooters,
:)
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

I was in Sebastian this weekend nad witnessed the low level wrap that occurred. Both jumpers lived, thank God.

Can you give more information on this?

What were the jumpers actions, the orientation of the canopies, altitude and etcetera?
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Sure. I just wanted to start a general discussion on the topic here, though.

In the incident I witnessed, at no more than 250' - possibly lower - the upper jumper nailed the lower canopy. The lower canopy completely wrapped around the body of the upper jumper (from my perspective). Both were very experenced jumpers. The upper canopy couldn't have been more than 100 sq feet. It seemed the combined system was out of control and they crashed. Neither deployed the reserve or cut away.

I guess my main question was regarding options for somebody in such a predicament when it would be too low to cutaway.

:)
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Back in the day when everyone had big ass boat canopies and round reserves ,hanging out a round for more drag was always a good last hope for more drag, seen it done more then once.

However with more and more people jumping tiny hotrods and ramair reserves I would think it would not be a good idea for more then one reason, like a down plane or the extra drag changing the angle of attack of the hotrod mains we see people jumping today.

I know a few jumpers who did canopy transfers from low altitudes and had they not got a round reserve out to transfer to they may not have made it.
Some of the crew dogs I know still like to have a round reserve in their rigs even today just for this reason. But I don't know how common this is with crew dogs today, just the ones I know who have told me this is what the prefer on their backs.
(a no cutaway from wrap, more drag issue, or canopy transfer)

~
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I've seen a couple in the last 12 months, and from what I'veseen of the skyhook, it may well have been VERY usefull in all the situations I saw[:/]
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?