dkvkb

So THIS is why I'm a little apprensive about starting

Great descriptions! You and malooper have been great to "watch". I can't believe how fast you both have progressed - so encouraging! Even though I had a negative/whiny/melodramatic/gonna die attitude when I started this thread, I'm glad I went ahead and posted because I've gained a lot of wisdom, learned to laugh at myself (and yes, still laughing at mattjw916's post), and now I'm looking forward to going instead of second guessing myself. YAHOOOOOOOO!!!!

Yes, I can see all that now. I'm glad I had the video to review. I spent some time in a tunnel last month, and with the help of a very patient coach, I finally learned to arch. I'm going to a different dropzone this time and just starting over.

dkvkb

Yes, you're right. I really had no idea how to arch, and my legs were all wrong. The tunnel helped me tremendously with that.

Haha don't listen to that guy too much. Obviously he did everything superb during his first jump. I'm making this assumption by looking at the way he replied there...

Don't worry, most people don't have the perfect arch during their first few jumps. I'm sure that the 2 hours in the tunnel have helped you a lot

Now go have fun when you're gonna jump and don't worry too much if you make some mistakes or if you fly less perfect then the way you did in the tunnel. If everything works at the first try there's not much fun to it, now is there?:D

dkvkb

That time in the tunnel was so great for me. My coach was extremely patient and I accomplished what I went in there to do. And I could have stayed there for hours just watching everyone!

I don't have much more than a couple hours of tunnel time myself. That's over 120 skydives worth of freefall time!

Did you save video of all that tunnel time? I bet you can see a clear progression in your skill level if you go back and watch it all. You can with mine. The first one and my early AFF jump still make me laugh. Now I'm quite confident, though I should be spending more time on my back and should start sit flying soon.

If you start to freak out beforehand, just tell yourself "I got this." I find flying in freefall easier than flying in the tunnel (The last couple of times the guys have been brutal with the velocity knob!) You can fly the whole time, from the moment you leave the plane until the moment your parachute is deployed.

Let us know how you do!
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Dudette :) Your tunnel flying is beautiful, you'll feel so so so much better now doing your freefall. Go get 'em, Tiger! :)

(P.S. It's incredible how every maneuvre looks harder when another guy is flying next to you in that small space, uh? But at least the sky doesn't have walls so it's one less thing to worry about).
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

dkvkb

Great advice. Yeah, I noticed that about all of us talking about fear. I think we're all just needing a little reassurance from those of you who have been there....

We've ALL been there. What you should have said is "...those who are willing to admit to having been there."
If you leave the plane without a parachute, you will be fine for the rest of your life.

dkvkb

http://youtu.be/jMrGXCEIikk

I've never posted this publicly before. I've only sent this to a few people in emails. Last year, I did 3 tandems and then this jump. The rest of the story is that I was spinning so fast in the freefall, I got line twists after I pulled. Then it got worse and I knew I was going to die. I should have cut away, and I definitely will next time. That time, I pulled the risers and kicked out of it. I got stable at 1000'. I couldn't find the drop zone (later found out I was about a mile north), so I was able to land safely in a small field.

I know I should not have survived that jump.

??! Why's that?????? But I am excited about starting again. I am posting because as I get closer to my start date (next Friday), I am getting more nervous about the freefall. I did spend 2 hours in a wind tunnel last month, and I was finally able to maintain stability. I have been working out, reading the manual, and trying to be calm. And I am starting from the beginning again on Friday with the first jump course. Any suggestions on how to stay calm for the coming week?

You know - you are absolutely right. I never really thought that through, but even though I was spinning and tumbling in the freefall, I remembered to check my altimeter and pull at about 5500' (if/when it happens again, I will pull sooner), and even though I had line twists and was spinning with the canopy, I was able to get out of it (my only regret is that cutting away didn't enter my mind, but it WILL next time) and even though I was way off course and couldn't find the drop zone (I wound up almost exactly a mile north), I avoided trees, roof tops, a pond, heavy equipment yard, power lines, and I located an open field and landed safely. Probably a miracle, yes, but definitely a matter of good training also.

dkvkb

You know - you are absolutely right. I never really thought that through, but even though I was spinning and tumbling in the freefall, I remembered to check my altimeter and pull at about 5500' (if/when it happens again, I will pull sooner)

It won't happen again. Once you got it, you got it. Also careful with opening too high unplanned, don't do it if it is not necessary. It is good to stick to the plan in case somebody f*ck up and end up above you (it shouldn't happen, but why take the risk?). Plan the dive, dive the plan!

First, congratulations for making the decision. It's OK to have the butterflies, you're not alone and those who come after you will be in the same situational mindset.
Here's some quick perspective to think about.

Amateurs built the Ark and professionals built the Titanic.

Have confidence in your abilities.