dkvkb

So THIS is why I'm a little apprensive about starting

Debbi,
I'll second what has been said here quite a bit.

1. Nervous is ok (even good) - I am newly licensed, but jumped enough that people still laugh when I tell them I'm scared of the door. All my exits have been spot on so far - those nerves keep me sharp and focused.

2. Almost = didn't. You almost died when you crossed the street this morning, but you missed the car that came through at 25mph 10 seconds later. You almost died when you drank that water, but it narrowly missed going into your lungs and drowning you. You seem to have faired well, and much better than I did in a much less difficult situation where I ran into a tree. Consider how, in a difficult and scary situation, you performed adequately to get to the ground safely. Now, could you improve on your skills? Sure, so then in a similarly difficult situation (i.e., if it happens again), you definitely have the ability to cope. "Almost" should be your reminder to focus on doing well, but it shouldn't make your decisions. While past performance doesn't guarantee future success, consider this a great experience in making you better able to handle whatever comes your way.

3. You've had a unique experience seemingly tailored just for you - you overcame a significant challenge without major injury. Make the most of it. Firstly, take away confidence in yourself. Secondly, and equally important, sit back and do a thorough evaluation of why you do or don't want to continue skydiving. Really ask yourself what the cost/benefit trade-off is. Your experience is a good instigator for this kind of self-reflection. Make your decision after reviewing all the factors, and not based only on any one emotion, action, event, or thought. Put everything on the table and figure out what it all means to you. I did that, and still do, on a regular basis, and after all the reflection, I keep coming back to kiss the air.

I think I'm going to be fine. Cautious, yes, but I'm ready to go for it. Right after I posted that and started getting messages, I considered deleting the post. What I didn't know is that I couldn't delete it after a few hours. So here I am. The GREAT thing about it is I have learned a lot, laughed a lot and also, and this is major - considered the things that I did right in a difficult situation that were a result of training and will remember them forever. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I haven't been on here for a while, but since I will always remember your post because I laughed so hard at a time when I was terrified, I thought I would do another follow up. I passed AFF, then SDU, now have my A license and working on my B license. I have 70 jumps and will try to do my 100th on my 57th birthday this month. My daughter is now jumping with me, and we have made numerous jumps together, one of which was Mother's Day weekend. Anyway, thanks for the laugh and the encouragement:)

dkvkb

I haven't been on here for a while, but since I will always remember your post because I laughed so hard at a time when I was terrified, I thought I would do another follow up. I passed AFF, then SDU, now have my A license and working on my B license. I have 70 jumps and will try to do my 100th on my 57th birthday this month. My daughter is now jumping with me, and we have made numerous jumps together, one of which was Mother's Day weekend. Anyway, thanks for the laugh and the encouragement:)

You made it over the hump. Everyone is proud of you.

Dan
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”