Leigh Bratcher

1st Jump Malfunction

I am new to the forum and wanted to see if anyone has seen an experience like my 1st jump. In February, 1970 shortly after getting out out of the Marines I decided I wanted to skydive. I signed up with the local skydiving club, Amarillo (TX) Skydivers.I paid my money, took the training, and on 7 February, 1970 I was scheduled for my jump. I jumped from a Cessna 182, at 3000 agl on a 28 Double "L"  main on a static line and a T7-A reserve. In my log book under remarks my jumpmaster wrote  "1. Streamer on first jump. Fault of jumpmaster, when packing rig I used 550 line separator approx 14" long, secured around suspension lines at skirt hem, failing to remove prior to stowing lines. Student had excellent arch on jump. Reserve deployment excellent. Ignorance on my part completely." my fiance talked me out of jumping again.I have credit for one jump, first, last and only! I believe God took care of me that day.

• Like 2

Dear Leigh,

That packing error has been repeated many times. It is too easy to forget a small piece of cord in a main pack job especially since main pack jobs are often rushed and tools are rarely counted.

The first fatality (1970s) in CSPA's files started with the same packing error involving a Para-Commander main canopy.

OTOH Tools are routinely counted at the start and finish of reserve pack jobs. One way to reduce the number of tools is to tie the pilot-chute bridle around the lines. This helps keep the lines neat and make sit difficult to close the container until the bridle has been removed from the suspension lines. This technique is popular when packing reserves partly because it helps keep reserve suspension lines neat and riggers are realllllllly anal-retentive neat-freaks when packing reserves. It helps that reserve bridles are often much longer than the 2 or 3 meters of main bridles.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, riggerrob said:

Dear Leigh,

That packing error has been repeated many times. It is too easy to forget a small piece of cord in a main pack job especially since main pack jobs are often rushed and tools are rarely counted.

The first fatality (1970s) in CSPA's files started with the same packing error involving a Para-Commander main canopy.

OTOH Tools are routinely counted at the start and finish of reserve pack jobs. One way to reduce the number of tools is to tie the pilot-chute bridle around the lines. This helps keep the lines neat and make sit difficult to close the container until the bridle has been removed from the suspension lines. This technique is popular when packing reserves partly because it helps keep reserve suspension lines neat and riggers are realllllllly anal-retentive neat-freaks when packing reserves. It helps that reserve bridles are often much longer than the 2 or 3 meters of main bridles.

Hi Rob,

A little off-topic:  Did CSPA purge their files for fatalities prior to then?

I seem to remember a guy named Dick Harder who went in at Abbotsford DZ about 1966.  It's been a few years & the old memory is not perfect.

??????????

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 1