dfa2006

Buying a second rig

JeffCa

I'm 30 seconds into the video from the start, and I'm sure there's a perfectly innocent reason that you had this video so readily available to share.

B| Thanks for making me go back and watch the first part. Reminds me of several whuffo friends that would find reasons to just hang out at the DZ.:D

That 2.5 minute pack job was impressively efficient. I still prefer to flake the canopy more. I'm in the 5 minute range, maybe a little faster when I hurry. I often pack for two people, me and Vskydiver. :)

stayhigh

Sounds like quick way to get burnt out.

I know a russian dude who had infinite amount of money, he didn't get burnt out, but rather went in.

Really, you need to chill a bit. Plenty of teams do very jump heavy training days. And sometimes they're even done by noon...
Remster

There's a guy at our DZ who does this as well on some days. He jumps, lands at the boarding area, and is packed just in time when people are boarding the plane for the next load. If he wants he can be on every load of the day. When he's not stressed for time, the guy usually packs in about 3 mins. 7000+ jumps with no reserves. I wanna know his secret :)
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane"

>Sounds like quick way to get burnt out.

Or to make a chunk of money, or get more training into limited time. For a video guy over a long 4-day weekend you can make ~$500 filming a team doing back to backs. And while some people might be able to pack for themselves with that kind of scheduling, I can't.

Some thoughts that may or may not be relevant... I'll ignore the money part, that's your business not mine. Just remember that another rig implies double the maintenance as well as the acquisition costs... plus you may jump a lot more so make sure you have the ongoing funds and aren't jumping LESS trying to pay off your new rig... ok so I didn't totally ignore the money part.

I have multiple rigs that are nearly identical - same manufacturer, colors, options. They all have the same deployment bags, risers, pilot chutes, handles, etc. This greatly simplifies my life when I need/want to do maintenance or swap canopies in or out of a rig. I'm about your size: my particular container is an Infinity I-34, they have Optimum 176 reserves and in the main tray I've put everything from a Pilot 188 down to a Velo 120 in there.

I have different mains, and going back and forth between them from jump to jump can either be challenging and fun (when I'm focusing on canopy flight), or challenging and miserable (alternating between a Katana 135 and a Pilot 150 on a hot day of training in texas heat and humidity)... when I'm training now I try to keep two canopies in the rigs that are at least similar in flight characteristics.

Most of my jumps are team training, so we use packers.

In mine, I keep each main on a different color set of risers, so I can always tell just by looking at the rig which canopy is in it.

Not many places will have rental gear that fits you well and has the canopies you want... long term if you're going to be jumping a LOT then having a 2nd rig is definitely the way to go.

There are some DZs that wont let you manifest until you have a rig in hand packed and even then dont want to "risk" manifesting you when on the off chance you do land out and arent able to get back to the manifest area and get geared up to go. Plus, if you are doing back-to-back-to-backs and arent actively videoing or doing tandems, then you are missing out on the best part of skydiving. Getting to know people in the packing area and dirt diving that 8 way like the Golden Knights that will always be a zoo load is the best part of skydiving.

Depends on what you're doing really. The guy's main discipline is speed skydiving (he trains shitloads for competitions etc.) so he's always the first out the door (on many an occasion I have seen him land while I was still breaking off/opening up) and also the last one to board the plane. True, some dropzones won't let you manifest unless you are geared up and ready to go. At the DZ I'm talking about this is not the case. Plus if he does land out, and he misses the flight, then he still has to (and will) pay for his slot. He knows this and accepts this. Plus, in all the years I've been jumping there, I've never seen him land out (hich of course doesn't mean it can't or won't happen on his next jump). And even if he does, he earns more then enough to pay for the missed flight :)
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane"

elias123

Depends on what you're doing really. The guy's main discipline is speed skydiving (he trains shitloads for competitions etc.) so he's always the first out the door (on many an occasion I have seen him land while I was still breaking off/opening up) and also the last one to board the plane. True, some dropzones won't let you manifest unless you are geared up and ready to go. At the DZ I'm talking about this is not the case. Plus if he does land out, and he misses the flight, then he still has to (and will) pay for his slot. He knows this and accepts this. Plus, in all the years I've been jumping there, I've never seen him land out (hich of course doesn't mean it can't or won't happen on his next jump). And even if he does, he earns more then enough to pay for the missed flight :)

If thats the case Im not sure why he needed us knuckleheads from DZ dot com to tell him that.