dfa2006

Buying a second rig

So I'm thinking about buying a second rig. As when I travel I don't like to wait in between jumps for packing and love doing back to backs. (Yes I know I need a packer for this) I'm a bigger guy at 200lb 6'1" and currently on a 210 pulse ready to downsize a 190 sabre2. My current rig can go down to a 170) I'm contemplating buying a new rig one step down that can hold a 190 hybrid to 150 ZP. It will be a long time before I go below a 170 or 150, if I ever do even.
I currently have 200 jumps in a little under 2 years (first year was slow) other info... I plan on possibly getting into wingsuit. Also enjoy canopy work, accuracy and starting to get coaching on high performance landings(I know I'm on a 210...) and yes I'm getting coaching and being safe at it.
So... Good idea or bad idea for the second rig? Or does someone have some better advice for me?

Seems more a question for a financial advisor... Everyone wants multiple rigs but do you have money to throw around?

Fuck If I was loaded I'd have one rig for each discipline that requires certain types of set ups. I'd also have a garage with every type of motorbike (dirt, sport, road, cruiser etc.) I'd have a yacht and a powerboat. A private jet, turbine and a helicopter (for when I need to make an entrance). 6 victoria secret models desperately in love with me, or my money ;) (not seven, even superman needs a rest day).

Fuck If I was loaded I'd have one rig for each discipline that requires certain types of set ups. I'd also have a garage with every type of motorbike (dirt, sport, road, cruiser etc.) I'd have a yacht and a powerboat. A private jet, turbine and a helicopter (for when I need to make an entrance). 6 victoria secret models desperately in love with me, or my money ;) (not seven, even superman needs a rest day)

I guess this means one day possibly buying your own aircraft is out of the question?

gregpso

***Learn to pack your rig in 4 minutes and the answer become pretty obvious.

I find that hard to believe !!

five minutes max:; it's not rocket-science..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

dfa2006

So I'm thinking about buying a second rig. As when I travel I don't like to wait in between jumps for packing and love doing back to backs. (Yes I know I need a packer for this) I'm a bigger guy at 200lb 6'1" and currently on a 210 pulse ready to downsize a 190 sabre2. My current rig can go down to a 170) I'm contemplating buying a new rig one step down that can hold a 190 hybrid to 150 ZP. It will be a long time before I go below a 170 or 150, if I ever do even.
I currently have 200 jumps in a little under 2 years (first year was slow) other info... I plan on possibly getting into wingsuit. Also enjoy canopy work, accuracy and starting to get coaching on high performance landings(I know I'm on a 210...) and yes I'm getting coaching and being safe at it.
So... Good idea or bad idea for the second rig? Or does someone have some better advice for me?

What size reserves do you have/plan on buying to the next rig?
Sounds like you have a large span in sizes and that generally means a smal reserve

hcsvader

Learn to pack your rig in 4 minutes and the answer become pretty obvious.

+1

Amen. Be first to land, run to packing area, pack in 4min, then back on plan before boarding call. its the least costly option in my opinion.

But then again, money aside, who doesnt want a second rig?

Are you going to have the same size and kind of main canopy in both? If not, you really are not doing yourself a favor at getting better at canopy flight. I bought my second rig so that I had a CRW rig and a free fall rig both with very different canopies. Luckily the CRW canopy taught me more than I could ever imagine so when I jumped my free fall canopy I had a ton of confidence but a very different landing set up. If you are going to be using two differnet mains and two different sizes they are going to fly different and you will spend a lot of time thinking about the difference instead of getting better after each jump. Just some thoughts

They'll be the same size both 190's but one will be a pulse and the other a sabre2. Completely different canopies but I thought I would work on HP landings on the sabre2. Then use the pulse as a accuracy canopy, on track/wingsuit dives. Would it be too tough practicing different disciplines on each jump?

I am going with everything the same: two custom fit Javelin Odyssey's, Optimum reserve, Vigil, and Spectre 170 mains. The only difference is one of my Spectre's has 120 jumps and the other is brand new.

Regarding packing, some of us out there older with worn out skeletons, neck and back problems, tennis elbow, etc. We pack, but being hunched over, etc. hurts, so when a good packer is a available we take some bodily stress out of the equation. Not to mention more time to plan a dive, stretch, get a drink of water, etc.

It's all time vs. money isn't it ...

FreeFlyer2100

Are you going to have the same size and kind of main canopy in both? If not, you really are not doing yourself a favor at getting better at canopy flight.

I wouldn't go so far. Sure, you are correct in the sense that if you don't make every jump a dedicated swoop jump into a marked lane, you won't progress as fast in dedicated swoop jumping into a marked lane. If that's your goal, two identical canopies may be ideal.

But one could equally say, "Never do X type of jump because you'll hinder your progression in Y, any other type of jump." True but so what.

I don't find it is any problem to go from an 88 to a 282 to a 135 to a 200 between different jumps. As long as one isn't totally new to a canopy one can land it safely and remember how to pack it right. Even a newbie should be able to land safely on two similar canopies 20 sq ft apart on any two consecutive jumps, if they are reasonably qualified to jump either canopy.

If you are totally focused on a hard core swoop on a Velo, hitting the gates, or on a world class accuracy approach on a Parafoil 282, then yes, changing from one canopy to another is hindering progression in each discipline.

I guess there's a difference in philosophy, to what degree one has to be getting better on every jump. One is allowed to jump for fun (and try to be reasonably safe) and not just relentlessly pursue a single minded goal.

dfa2006

I'm contemplating buying a new rig one step down that can hold a 190 hybrid to 150 ZP. It will be a long time before I go below a 170 or 150, if I ever do even.

I would recommend getting a rig that you can put a standard 190 into. That gives you more options on what canopies you can put in there at that size and the option to downsize or upsize. Just my $0.02.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I haven't had less than two rigs since 1981 and usually three or four.;) I never liked riding the plane down when throwing static line students. We all know landing in those things is dangerous. But I'm a pack rat and none of my stuff is newer than 1997 except a cypres.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Other than $, the only other thing I'd point out to take into consideration is if you are at a drop zone, and at a comfort level to be able to do back to backs safely.

Not all DZs will allow it, and most won't wait on you if you are holding up the load.

Being rushed to land, drop your gear, and gear back up quickly to get on the same plane you just got off of does have several safety implications to consider.

I do back to backs very regularly, but we usually get out at 10.5. That means I usually only have 4 canopies to watch out for when trying to land close and quickly(instead of 24....), and it puts me on the ground on a ~3-5 min call. It can still be a bit stressful, even with the extra time.

Zlew

Other than $, the only other thing I'd point out to take into consideration is if you are at a drop zone, and at a comfort level to be able to do back to backs safely.

Not all DZs will allow it, and most won't wait on you if you are holding up the load.

Being rushed to land, drop your gear, and gear back up quickly to get on the same plane you just got off of does have several safety implications to consider.

I do back to backs very regularly, but we usually get out at 10.5. That means I usually only have 4 canopies to watch out for when trying to land close and quickly(instead of 24....), and it puts me on the ground on a ~3-5 min call. It can still be a bit stressful, even with the extra time.

Good points. To me, it seems like back-to-backs fit into a set of very specific and pretty limited scenarios that wouldn't apply to the regular fun jumping day - team training, some instructor scenarios, maybe a coach or organizer who's trying to work with multiple groups.

For me, it's never occurred to me that a back-to-back would be fun/worthwhile for anything other than 4-way training. Otherwise, you get out of the flow of the day - while your jump buddies are debriefing, packing / getting packed, and planning the next jump, you're up on another load (jumping alone? or with who - when did you have time to connect/plan a jump?).

To the original poster - if you can afford a second rig, by all means, go for it. I've had two rigs for about 2 1/2 years now and I love it, especially for team training. My original rig (bought used) became my backup, and I bought my first custom rig that became my primary rig. Because I already had a rig that I coudl jump I could take my time to piece together the components and jump on good used deals when I saw them. As of tomorrow, I will have a second custom rig and will be selling the old backup rig.

For me, I like the fact that my two rigs are virtually identical - other than the containers being different (though now they'll both be the same), the main, reserve, and AAD are the same between the two. But then again, my canopy goals are identical for every jump.

Keep in mind also that the cost of a second rig is not just the up front costs - now you're keeping two rigs in date, doing maintenance on two, have to figure out how to travel with two (if you're paying to check bags that may increase your travel costs).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

virgin-burner

******Learn to pack your rig in 4 minutes and the answer become pretty obvious.

I find that hard to believe !!

five minutes max:; it's not rocket-science..not rocket science indeed. When you are teh only smoker on a 4way team, you need to pack MUCH faster than the rest of the team. :)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

HHypoxic

***There is a video of a girl doing a 2:30 min packjob on youtube.
It's a sloppy packjob but it works.

http://youtu.be/sgAqlC8JBoI Starts at the 9:00 min mark.

I'm 30 seconds into the video from the start, and I'm sure there's a perfectly innocent reason that you had this video so readily available to share.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth