3 3
brenthutch

Brittney Griner

1 minute ago, gowlerk said:

As in all theological arguments it probably depends on the quality of the representation you have when you stand in front of the Lord to be judged. Yes, there will be lawyers if not in Heaven then waiting at the gates.

Do you need to hire them yourself, or are there public defenders?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coreece said:

"Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God."

So lesbians are OK, but the adulterers (like, say, Trump and Giuliani) are not.  Well, that's good news.

On the other hand, rape is apparently OK if you pay 50 shekels to the woman's owner. (Deut 22:28-29)  That's about $13 in US dollars - and I am sure Trump paid more than that to the ex-wife who said he raped her.  So he will probably be OK on that one.

2 minutes ago, ryoder said:

They will be assigned to each according to their heavenly worthiness. Since you can't take it with you they all will be working pro bono. That is their punishment.

Just now, ryoder said:

Either way will they be allowed to represent the gay or drunken accused? What if you weren't just gay and drunk but also were on "Survivor" and found an Idol? What if you greedily saved yourself and not someone you lied to at Tribal Counsel thus swindling your team? Talk about a real problem.

2 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Either way will they be allowed to represent the gay or drunken accused? What if you weren't just gay and drunk but also were on "Survivor" and found an Idol? What if you greedily saved yourself and not someone you lied to at Tribal Counsel thus swindling your team? Talk about a real problem.

That's the heart of the ethos that says "kill them all and let God sort it out".

Just now, gowlerk said:

That's the heart of the ethos that says "kill them all and let God sort it out".

Sure, but what if you were only given permission to kill communists like our Ron (I do hope he got that in writing) but not cross dressers, who were certainly homo's and not Governors, how ever does the problem make it into a loving God's hands?

2 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

A lawyer in heaven. You're funny!

A priest and a lawyer died and went to heaven. They were met by Saint Peter at the gate, who told them he would be giving them some transportation to get around in. He gave the lawyer a big white limousine. The priest was given a bicycle. The priest said "wait a minute" you gave the lawyer a limousine and me a bicycle. Why is that? St. Peter replied, oh we get a lot of priests in Heaven, but this is the first time a lawyer has made it.

Just now, Phil1111 said:

A lawyer in heaven. You're funny!

Not to spoil the party but I've hired a lot of lawyers and have had to deal with opposing lawyers too many times. Never once have I been in court or sat for a deposition and wished I'd brought my plumber instead. My experience tells me that most people hate lawyers because they really don't know what lawyers do. They aren't mind readers and they don't need new friends. Yes, they'll listen to your sad story and patiently wait until you are through emoting but all of that will be on the bill you think is outrageous. Instead, learn about the law as it applies to your situation before you sit down at your meeting. Treat it like an advanced class and show up with a paginated notebook with as many of the appropriate documents you could find that you have also read and tried to understand. (I always send that notebook in advance so the meeting is efficient and focused) Be prepared to hear what you do not want to hear and above all else be prepared to do what you are told to do. If you don't like what you hear try another attorney but no matter that's the way it works.

• Like 2

On 2/27/2023 at 11:56 AM, RonD1120 said:

Homosexuals are making a choice with tragic eternal consequences.

Religious bigots are making a choice with tragic consequences by living a life of hatred, hypocrisy, and moral failing when they will simply be plunged into nothingness after death. 

If their magical spaghetti monster did exist and there was life after death they would find their messiah waiting at the pearly gates to throw them out of the kingdom for being such terrible hateful people. The Jesus depicted in the bible accepted prostitutes and outcasts, and wasn't afraid to beat the asses of hypocrites on the temple steps. Most of you "religious" folks wouldn't stand a chance.

• Like 5

Just now, DougH said:

Religious bigots are making a choice with tragic consequences by living a life of hatred, hypocrisy, and moral failing when they will simply be plunged into nothingness after death. 

If their magical spaghetti monster did exist and there was life after death they would find their messiah waiting at the pearly gates to throw them out of the kingdom for being such terrible hateful people. The Jesus depicted in the bible accepted prostitutes and outcasts, and wasn't afraid to beat the asses of hypocrites on the temple steps. Most of you "religious" folks wouldn't stand a chance.

Doug, this is a hard one for me but I need to follow my heart. What you wrote seriously resonated with me. I have no choice, I am transferring Lippy's free jump to you. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Coreece said:

Ok, so you don't care about that stuff, but then why do you feel the need to lie that it's not in the Bible?  Or are you arguing semantics between the words 'enter' and inherit?  Or do you really not know that it's listed in 1 Corinthians 6:9-11?

"Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God."

Ron loves Donald Trump because he’s a greedy swindler. Ron says that makes him a winner. Why is Ron lying about what the bible says?

8 hours ago, Coreece said:

Ok, so you don't care about that stuff, but then why do you feel the need to lie that it's not in the Bible?  Or are you arguing semantics between the words 'enter' and inherit?  Or do you really not know that it's listed in 1 Corinthians 6:9-11?

Ahhh  - cherry picking translations. The usual then. 

11 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Instead, learn about the law as it applies to your situation before you sit down at your meeting.

This is more than practical advice. One will probably learn they need an attorney more than they think. 

13 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Not to spoil the party but I've hired a lot of lawyers and have had to deal with opposing lawyers too many times. Never once have I been in court or sat for a deposition and wished I'd brought my plumber instead. My experience tells me that most people hate lawyers because they really don't know what lawyers do. They aren't mind readers and they don't need new friends. Yes, they'll listen to your sad story and patiently wait until you are through emoting but all of that will be on the bill you think is outrageous. Instead, learn about the law as it applies to your situation before you sit down at your meeting. Treat it like an advanced class and show up with a paginated notebook with as many of the appropriate documents you could find that you have also read and tried to understand. (I always send that notebook in advance so the meeting is efficient and focused) Be prepared to hear what you do not want to hear and above all else be prepared to do what you are told to do. If you don't like what you hear try another attorney but no matter that's the way it works.

Hi Joe,

Re:  Never once have I been in court or sat for a deposition and wished I'd brought my plumber instead.

Perfect.

Jerry Baumchen

14 hours ago, DougH said:

The Jesus depicted in the bible accepted prostitutes and outcasts

Yes He did, Praise God.  He gave hope to those that were deemed unredeemable.

14 hours ago, DougH said:

and wasn't afraid to beat the asses of hypocrites on the temple steps.

Those are passages about money changers that Jesus referred to as thieves, likely because they charged exorbitant exchange rates among other dishonest practices.  Many tax collectors at that time were also considered thieves for overcharging and pocketing the difference to enrich themselves.

There was one in particular named Zacchaeus, but Jesus accepted him just as he did with other sinners.  Why do you think he accepted that thief, but not the thieves at the temple? (that we know of)

Relevant Passages:

Luke 19:1-10

Jesus entered Jericho and was passing through. A man was there by the name of Zacchaeus; he was a chief tax collector and was wealthy. He wanted to see who Jesus was, but because he was short he could not see over the crowd. So he ran ahead and climbed a sycamore-fig tree to see him, since Jesus was coming that way.

When Jesus reached the spot, he looked up and said to him, “Zacchaeus, come down immediately. I must stay at your house today.”  So he came down at once and welcomed him gladly.

All the people saw this and began to mutter, “He has gone to be the guest of a sinner.”

But Zacchaeus stood up and said to the Lord, “Look, Lord! Here and now I give half of my possessions to the poor, and if I have cheated anybody out of anything, I will pay back four times the amount.”

Jesus said to him, “Today salvation has come to this house, because this man, too, is a son of Abraham.  For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.”

Matthew 21:31-32

“Which of the two did what his father wanted?”

“The first,” they answered.

Jesus said to them, “Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you.  For John came to you to show you the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him, but the tax collectors and the prostitutes did. And even after you saw this, you did not repent and believe him.

John 8:10-11

Jesus straightened up and asked her, 'Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?' 'No one, sir,' she said. 'Then neither do I condemn you,' Jesus declared. 'Go now and leave your life of sin.'"

15 hours ago, kallend said:

I guess Trump won't make it, then.

Again, it's not my place to judge ultimately the spiritual condition of a specific person, nor is Trump held accountable to me in that regard.  I'm not really familiar with his spiritual life, but there is a video from about 7 years ago that may provide some insight. 

In it he talks about Norman Peale a pastor that died in 1993.  I'm not to familiar with him, but from what I gathered, he appears to have been one of the first to preach the prosperity gospel, a gospel to which I don't particularly subscribe.  When Trump was asked if he ever asked God for forgiveness, he said 'I don't think I have. . .if I do something wrong I just try and make it right.  I don't bring God into that picture."

How many people here are like Trump in that they don't seem to have a need or desire to ask for forgiveness, and don't bring God into that equation?

17 minutes ago, Coreece said:

How many people here are like Trump in that they don't seem to have a need or desire to ask for forgiveness, and don't bring God into that equation?

I have a need to ask for forgiveness for those I have wronged unnecessarily. Don't have a need to bring God into it, cause I don't believe in God.

I do believe Trump believes in the prosperity gospel, in the sense that he will happily use God to make himself money. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Keith,

I have never known anyone who hired a lawyer that they did not want to hire.

Jerry Baumchen

Complaining about lawyers is a lot like complaining about taxes. We don't like either one but we need both.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Coreece said:

I would be among that group. But I do not claim to be christian. Even though I was baptized as a baby.

2 hours ago, Coreece said:

How many of us are like Trump in that we also con gullible and hypocritical so-called christians like Ron into thinking we care about the Bible? 

Probably none.

2 hours ago, Coreece said:

Probably a few.  There are a few in every group of people.

2 hours ago, jakee said:

How many of us are like Trump in that we also con gullible and hypocritical so-called christians like Ron into thinking we care about the Bible? 

Probably none.

You wouldn't know what a 'so called christian' was if he got up and punched you in the face, so stop trying to con me into thinking you actually care about that.

Ron has been preaching the love of God through Jesus Christ and the repentance of sin which is what's referenced in the selected scripture above.  People are free to reject that, but don't try to pretend that scripture doesn't call out sexual immorality as sin, regardless of your preference.

The ones harboring hate and judgement in this thread are people like you, doug and normiss.