Doug_Davis

Bridge Day: Tandems

So sitting around the DZ this weekend waiting for loads to build, we all started talking about bridge day and the fact they are offering tandems this year (no idea if they have in the past).

Out of everyone there only one guy said he would be willing to do it (be a passenger), and none of the TI's said they would do it.

What are your thoughts on being a passenger or being the TI? Just FYI, for those who havent been there, you are landing on 80 yard by 40 yard (approximately) parking lot next to a Class 5 river rapid. And if you hit the water remember your strapped to someone.

Also given all the restrictions tandem manufacturers have in place are these guys using gear without authorization? Or are there tandem base rig manufacturers?

JohnMitchell

Class 5 rapid?? You sure you aren't in sales?:D

I ain't never been there but that seems a little high of a rating for that stretch of the river, from what I've seen on videos. :)
Depends on river level. It can run anywhere from 3 to 5. And since I tend to enjoy bigger rapids, like the Gauley, I run the New when the level is high.

But since people seem to enjoy nitpicking my posts apart rather than discussing the actual topic of the thread, dont take my word for it here is the actual American Whitewater river info for that section of the New.
https://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/detail/id/2418/

Usual Difficulty III-IV(V) (for normal flows)

This is a high-volume, powerful river and can be run over a wide range of river levels. Most agree that the optimal level is 2 feet on the Fayette Station gauge, so all of the descriptions of the rapids are at that level. At this level the Keeneys, Double Z, and Fayette Station are really stompin'. At lower flows things get smaller (as you would expect). At higher flows the smaller features disappear and (in my opinion) things get easier! You have HUGE holes, but you have plenty of time to make your move around them. Above 10 ft there are no real eddies and the river is very wide, which can spell disaster for swimmers. If you do not have big water paddling skills then stay off above 6 feet. The high max level is set at 12ft because that is the Park Service cutoff for commercial rafting trips.

The rapid I bolded in the description is the one right out the parking lot for river access. Fayette Station.

This is it in 2012, at some of its biggest 17-18k CFS. Hit the same level last year. That was a fun day on the river.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAPSYSe8i6w
Is it always like this? No but it can be depending on weather and rains in the week prior.

This is a shot of it at normal 3/4 levels running at around 3' in height on the gauge.
https://www.americanwhitewater.org/photos/archive/medium/882555.jpg?no_cache=68820000

Doug_Davis

Class 5 rapid?? You sure you aren't in sales?:D

I ain't never been there but that seems a little high of a rating for that stretch of the river, from what I've seen on videos. :)
Depends on river level. It can run anywhere from 3 to 5. And since I tend to enjoy bigger rapids, like the Gauley, I run the New when the level is high.

But since people seem to enjoy nitpicking my posts apart rather than discussing the actual topic of the thread, dont take my word for it here is the actual American Whitewater river info for that section of the New.
https://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/detail/id/2418/

Usual Difficulty III-IV(V) (for normal flows)

This is a high-volume, powerful river and can be run over a wide range of river levels. Most agree that the optimal level is 2 feet on the Fayette Station gauge, so all of the descriptions of the rapids are at that level. At this level the Keeneys, Double Z, and Fayette Station are really stompin'. At lower flows things get smaller (as you would expect). At higher flows the smaller features disappear and (in my opinion) things get easier! You have HUGE holes, but you have plenty of time to make your move around them. Above 10 ft there are no real eddies and the river is very wide, which can spell disaster for swimmers. If you do not have big water paddling skills then stay off above 6 feet. The high max level is set at 12ft because that is the Park Service cutoff for commercial rafting trips.

The rapid I bolded in the description is the one right out the parking lot for river access. Fayette Station.

This is it in 2012, at some of its biggest 17-18k CFS. Hit the same level last year. That was a fun day on the river.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAPSYSe8i6w
Is it always like this? No but it can be depending on weather and rains in the week prior.

This is a shot of it at normal 3/4 levels running at around 3' in height on the gauge.
https://www.americanwhitewater.org/photos/archive/medium/882555.jpg?no_cache=68820000

Just bustin your balls Doug :) I guess my point was that the landing area sits in a pretty long area of calm water. You would have to try pretty damn hard to fly all the way to the fayette station area. The tandems tend to land in shallow water near the shoreline, but if they do land further out they still have the 10 million rescue boats to save the day. Those guys dont mess around!
BASE 1384

Halfpastniner

Just bustin your balls Doug :) I guess my point was that the landing area sits in a pretty long area of calm water. You would have to try pretty damn hard to fly all the way to the fayette station area. The tandems tend to land in shallow water near the shoreline, but if they do land further out they still have the 10 million rescue boats to save the day. Those guys dont mess around!

Cool. LOL B|
You are still braver than I am then! I might do the catapult solo BASE jump from their one day, but no way I would a tandem.