JBR

big boy question....

As a more robustly built jumper looking to buy (actually I need to buy) a slow falling FS suit can I get some opinions on which is best? I'm currently looking at Symbiosis' Slopo but I'm sure there's plenty of others that are as good or better? I fall so fast that I have to de-arch almost constantly whilst everyone else has to arch hard to keep up, I know going on a diet will help etc but I still need a suit that falls slow as I'm going to struggle to get below 200lbs ever!

You obviously want a high drag suit without having so much fabric that it looks like you're going early 80s retro. Tony offers a double layer of fabric for the arms, but it is not on their list of options. Other mfgs should be willing to do that also. It is a good way of adding drag without so much loose fabric. Cordura booties and cordura/padded knees will also add drag. I never used the continuous swoop cords on my old Tony suit - not worth getting. Even the extra large 2 in. grippers all around (definitely get leg inseam grips) can add a bit of drag compared to the wimpy size grips that were standard in decades past. I don't know about vented booties. Tony and some other mfgs can do a good job matching you to a suit that will give a proper fall rate if you let them know it is a challenge for you.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

JBR

As a more robustly built jumper looking to buy (actually I need to buy) a slow falling FS suit can I get some opinions on which is best? I'm currently looking at Symbiosis' Slopo but I'm sure there's plenty of others that are as good or better? I fall so fast that I have to de-arch almost constantly whilst everyone else has to arch hard to keep up, I know going on a diet will help etc but I still need a suit that falls slow as I'm going to struggle to get below 200lbs ever!

I'm down some but I'm still pushing 230 out the door. About a year ago I was well over 250.

I was having big guy problems and called Tony Suits. They made me a suit with a layer of 0-P sewn in between thick fabric. It made a huge difference. I had to learn to fly the suit but it really helped. They have this process down!

Get a suit with booties. With some technique and practice, they can be excellent anchors and slow you waaay down.

Later I got into the tunnel and asked them to work with me on slow flight. Now I fly a much slimmer suit and don't need the big baggy suit. I had to learn to fly my body. I still keep the slow suit around for working with smaller students but for everyday jumping I'm in a Vertical suit with cordura arms and legs.

If you're in the UK then I'd suggest you go for a Symbi suit. Give Rob a call and explain what you're looking for and he'll sort you out.
When I was jumping I was around 215lbs plus gear and have worn Symbi suits on the outside of 300 ways without any problems.

I'd suggest you go for sleeves with a baggy forearm (bloused) and order spandex over sleeves to kill the baggyness if needed.

Pete.

Really Big Boy Answer:

It sounds as though you're doing RW (arch/de-arch).

I have to tell you that I know nothing about the Symbiosis' Slopo suit. I also think that there's something not only wrong with your suit, but with your flying. You don't tell us your height, but if your weight & height are somewhat proportional; then its really more about your flying. If you're still using the boxman method; learn the mantis position.

The only two suits I have used have been Tonysuits and Flitesuit. Both probably have the longest duration in this industry and are used to varying sizes of skydivers. In both cases, I either spoke directly to them at a boogie (Tony) or called them on the phone (Flitesuit). One of the guys at Flitesuit was 6' 250# and an AFF/I - he helped design their "big boy" suit.

Both companies can add additional drag in the legs and enhance a small wing between your waist and elbow. This combined with the mantis allowed my 6'6" 250# avg to range my fall rate from 86 MPH to 125 MPH. TallGuy at 6'8"265# could do the same.

By flying in the mantis, all I had to do to slow down a bit was press my elbows out a little more for the wing to get taught, bring my legs in closer to create more surface drag and fly flat rather than de-arch. Feel free to PM me if I can be of additional assistance.

ETA: If you are or are thinking of vertical flying, I can't help you much there. About the best that I could master was a good sit fly that allowed me to remain relative to others; but heads-down and I might as well compete in the "lawn dart" speed contests. :D

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Thanks for the in depth reply, I get exactly what you're saying. I'm 6"1, I've ordered a symbiosis slopo suit today as I've got the chance to get on a 8 way speed team in a couple of weeks and will need it for that. The guy I spoke to at symbiosis knew his onions and I now have a suit made for my needs. At 80 jumps I need as much help from the suit as possible, next purchase is a freefly suit as I have got my sitflying sorted wearing shorts but my baggy ff-pants make it harder to hold the sit.
Thanks for the help, I'll let you know what the suits like when it arrives!

I loved the speed competitions.
Baggy pants did the same to me and I thought I was never gonna learn to sit.
On an evening HnP; I was wearing shorts and on the ride up a guy asks if I want to sitfly with him.
Told him upfront, I SUCK at sitflying and you better be off to my side not above me.
Right out the door I stuck it and held till wave off.
After that, it was like finding the "hover button" on a helicopter.

Good luck in your skydiving. Enjoy.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.