RichM

Screw up - target fixation - no casualties ;)

I screwed up a few weeks ago, only just got to posting the video here http://youtu.be/sfjcU-m2vnw

Last lift of the day, we knew a crate of beer would be by the crash mat so I made a 90 swoop, a bit too high but safe, followed by a carve to come safely close to the kind peeps who bought the beer and were at the crash mat. It was only when I was happy I was going to carve close but a safe distance away from them that I looked ahead and discovered a mate of mine walking a beer to a previous landing, right in my path. I braked to lift and he ducked, we just missed each other, but only just. It could have been very nasty... knee to the head at 20mph would not haver been a good ending for either of us.

Please excuse the colours, I was trying to pick him out so it could be seen better.

We got lucky, stay alert please peeps, assess the whole landing area for hazards.
Rich M

riggerrob

A good reaction - by you - saved his dumb ass.
Bottom line, he was a dumb-ass for walking into the swoop lane before all canopies were safely on the ground.

Agreed 100%

The swoop lane is like a runway. No one should be crossing the runway while planes are landing. Good heads up call by the canopy pilot.
One Jump Wonder

So............

I was the guy walking. I saw Rich a little way out and stopped walking expecting him to pass in front of me, but the curving path of the swoop meant we would be in the same space.

In reality there was never any risk as we had both seen each other and I could easily have dropped to the ground or stepped backwards.

What happened was a bit of 'eye to eye' and a bit of a 'game of chicken' before he popped up and I ducked down.

For the peeps getting bent out of shape and calling me a dumbass - Get over yourself guys, it really was an amusement rather than a danger.

Juz

Hi Juz

The only reason this issue is being dicussed is because your buddy posted the video. That was his choice.

The video made your buddy look good and the person who was crossing the runway, well you know [:/]

Every video doesn't need to be posted in public.

Have a happy. :P

One Jump Wonder

Still a good reminder about swoop and chugs and the potential traffic conflicts between those on the ground and those that are landing. Ive seen a few people get cleaned up because they didn't have their eyes on the sky.
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

riggerrob

A good reaction - by you - saved his dumb ass.
Bottom line, he was a dumb-ass for walking into the swoop lane before all canopies were safely on the ground.

Hi Rob
It may look like a swoop lane but its actually the accuracy mat, there is no swoop lane at that DZ. I didn't see him because I was target fixated on the people with the beer, my fault; well beers fault really ;p
Rich M