stayhigh

Is Sherry Butcher in the same boat as Rich Winstock??

Kirk Verner didn't even try to hide it. Rich Winstock kept it under the table but there is no table skirt so it was very obvious, especially when he started texting Tony Thatcher across the room. A few others checked there phones a time or 2 but appeared to be less than 15 seconds.

When I got to the hotel I ask sherry butcher where the meeting was and she sent me off on a wild goose chase.

A few napped through the meeting. Some dosed off for 20 seconds and a few slept for at least 20 minutes.

It was so disappointing watching all this. How can they expect us respect them and their rules when they don't give a crap about about the members. Many said after the meeting that no one showed up, yet there I stood...apparently I a no one as far as they are concerned. There were about 7 members there.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

jlmiracle

Kirk Verner didn't even try to hide it. Rich Winstock kept it under the table but there is no table skirt so it was very obvious, especially when he started texting Tony Thatcher across the room. A few others checked there phones a time or 2 but appeared to be less than 15 seconds.

When I got to the hotel I ask sherry butcher where the meeting was and she sent me off on a wild goose chase.

A few napped through the meeting. Some dosed off for 20 seconds and a few slept for at least 20 minutes.

It was so disappointing watching all this. How can they expect us respect them and their rules when they don't give a crap about about the members. Many said after the meeting that no one showed up, yet there I stood...apparently I a no one as far as they are concerned. There were about 7 members there.

Judy

I was there and chatted with Judy and Chris, her husband and former BOD member, before and after the meeting.
I paid attention at the meeting and members.

I too agree with Judy that it is extremely disrespectful for BOD members to be texting during these meetings.
Sometimes at committee or plenary sessions, there is a reason to contact someone outside of the meeting, but those instances are few and far between.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

loudtom

Can you tell us who, of our representatives, are the ones acting in such a distasteful manner?

Not me! I was at rapt attention the whole time.

Honestly, I wish members attending General Membership meetings would ask more questions.

Jan, Gary, Jay Stokes, Larry Hill, Mike Mullins, Todd Spillers and many others were very attentive during the meeting.

The playing on the phone is a major pet peeve of mine. It may not bother most people as much as it bothers me.

j
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

jlmiracle

Judy

I'm not so sure texting should be allowed during meetings. That's akin to holding private meetings between board members during official proceedings.

Is that (private meetings) even allowed under Robert's Rules?
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Is that (private meetings) even allowed under Robert's Rules?

No it is not. According to Robert's Rules of order, all remarks are addressed through the chair.The advantage of this rule is that there are no side conversations or debates between members. The chair is expected to control the meeting and this rule helps do that.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

Technically, the meeting was adjourned immediately because we lacked 10% of the membership. They just had Ed Scott do his presentation regarding membership numbers and financial information.

Sorry I did not include this in the original post.

Judy

jlmiracle

Jan Gary, Jay Stokes, Larry Hill, Mike Mullins, Todd Spillers and many others were very attentive during the meeting.

The playing on the phone is a major pet peeve of mine. It may not bother most people as much as it bothers me.

j

There's a simple solution. You put your damn phone on the table at the beginning of a formal meeting and you pick it up at the conclusion. This is like dealing with teenagers. [:/]
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

Gary, I was reasonably certain that the main question I wanted to ask (namely, what, if any, action USPA is taking regarding the incident with Rich Winstock) was not going to get answered in the GMM but was going to be the topic of Executive Session. I look forward to seeing a report out of how USPA decided to handle that, even if it's "The matter was discussed and no action was taken," in the name of accountability to its membership.
"You guys should just do CRW. There are so many more ways to get killed, it makes a CYPRES seem safe." -Kevin Keenan

Approximately how long was the meeting? That's irritating to hear this about the phone usage!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

skymama

Approximately how long was the meeting? That's irritating to hear this about the phone usage!

In fairness, jlmiracle mentioned in post #34 "Technically, the meeting was adjourned immediately because we lacked 10% of the membership. They just had Ed Scott do his presentation regarding membership numbers and financial information.

Sorry I did not include this in the original post."

I'm a "no messaging in meetings" person too, but this one seems on the line, not over it. It was also brought to my attention in a PM that this was happening after 11 hours of meetings, so I don't find it unusual that folks were anxious to communicate things they may have been waiting to get to outside the "official" meeting time.

Not sure if it happens, but I would completely disagree with private communications of any kind going on between board members or with outsiders during the official proceedings. That brings on all kinds of inappropriate implications.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

My four way team is having Kirk in as a coach next week. I am sure my team will love me for asking but I will ask and report back on what I am able to learn from a conversation I will have had with a bod, little spelling on purpose, member...
Anyone want to pm me good questions I will certainly ask...
I understand about meetings being over and all that but...
Maybe I won't get anything new or exciting but I will do my part and try, Yoda forgive me, to find out what I can or need to know.
lt
tom #90 #54 #08 and now #5 with a Bronze :-)

skymama

That's irritating to hear this about the phone usage!

Playing Devil's advocate, I try to be as digital (paperless) as possible, which means taking notes on my phone/tablet. I remember a 4-way coach once picking me up on not paying attention during a debrief, whereas I was actually updating my block notes! So the phone usage may have been related.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

chuckakers

***Approximately how long was the meeting? That's irritating to hear this about the phone usage!

I'm a "no messaging in meetings" person too, but this one seems on the line, not over it. It was also brought to my attention in a PM that this was happening after 11 hours of meetings, so I don't find it unusual that folks were anxious to communicate things they may have been waiting to get to outside the "official" meeting time.

Not sure if it happens, but I would completely disagree with private communications of any kind going on between board members or with outsiders during the official proceedings. That brings on all kinds of inappropriate implications.

It's true that the meetings started a 8 am that day and the GMM started at 7 pm. But what the person PMing you forgot to mention was that there was a TWO hour break (5pm to 7 pm) to catch up on texting and such. And there are many short breaks during the day.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Playing Devil's advocate, I try to be as digital (paperless) as possible, which means taking notes on my phone/tablet.

Good point. I'm still a paper and pen type of girl, so I didn't even take "note taking" into consideration.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

MakeItHappen

******Approximately how long was the meeting? That's irritating to hear this about the phone usage!

It's true that the meetings started a 8 am that day and the GMM started at 7 pm. But what the person PMing you forgot to mention was that there was a TWO hour break (5pm to 7 pm) to catch up on texting and such. And there are many short breaks during the day.

That notwithstanding, my point was that the apparent messaging was happening outside the formal proceedings and after some hours of meetings.

I think we're all splitting hairs a bit on this.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX