stayhigh

Is Sherry Butcher in the same boat as Rich Winstock??

Huh? Sherry is not? May want to check some facts before posting such inaccurate opinions. Anyone that knows her, knows the hoops she has jumped thru to continue to be part if this sport/business. Entitled to your own opinion. Not your incorrect facts. Love or hate the USPA, it's board or any of its members, it's simply unfair to to indicate this. We all have our flaws. Even Jay Stokes

I don't know who has more, I'd guess Jay. When I started jumping in 2002 Sherry had about 4000. Since every time I've been to the DZ (and that's just about every weekend it's open until last year) I've seen her on practically every load that flies, so I'd guess she's probably got around 7000-8000 minimum by now.

She's an active AFF-I and I/E, she's an active Coach and Coach I/E. When she's not doing on of those jobs, she's filming a tandem or getting in a fun jump.

Care to explain how that's not being a "real" skydiver?
Owned by Remi #?

stayhigh

I want Jay Stokes back in.
Atleast that guy is a true skydiver.

What do you mean by "in the same boat" in this context? Did she also break her femur and injure a spectator? Otherwise, your question doesn't quite make sense.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

> Im just trying to figure out how one's jump numbers equate to knowing anything
>about board management of a national membership based nonprofit corporation?

?? It doesn't. It does indicate that they know something about skydiving. And given what the USPA does, that's pretty important.

billvon

> Im just trying to figure out how one's jump numbers equate to knowing anything

?? It doesn't. It does indicate that they know something about skydiving. And given what the USPA does, that's pretty important.

Agreed. But one would think a little more thought should go into it than who is the most popular or who has the highest jump numbers.
As this person isnt just a board member, but the President of the organization and presiding officer of all BOD and member meetings. So an additional background in finance, law or business management would be key to leading an organization and BOD with a national and international presence.

Or you can just make it a dick measuring contest based on who has the highest jumper numbers.

billvon

After people get to a certain point does it really matter who has more jumps? I get that a 100 jump wonder probably isn't the best choice, but when both people are over 5k jumps I think that either of them would have sufficient knowledge of the sport to be USPA president.

>But one would think a little more thought should go into it than who is the most
>popular or who has the highest jump numbers.

Definitely. Skydiving experience is just one part of the equation.

>As this person isnt just a board member, but the President of the organization
>and presiding officer of all BOD and member meetings. So an additional
>background in finance, law or business management would be key to leading an
>organization and BOD with a national and international presence.

>Or you can just make it a dick measuring contest based on who has the highest
>jumper numbers.

As opposed to a dick measuring contest to see who has the most degrees?

(JFish said)
>After people get to a certain point does it really matter who has more jumps?

Raw number doesn't matter as much as currency and breadth. Someone who jumps regularly, is an AFF-I, has done tandems and video, been on some bigways, done some freeflying, wingsuting etc is going to be a better choice than someone who just freeflies (for example.)

billvon

Raw number doesn't matter as much as currency and breadth. Someone who jumps regularly, is an AFF-I, has done tandems and video, been on some bigways, done some freeflying, wingsuting etc is going to be a better choice than someone who just freeflies (for example.)

I agree with your comments regarding diversity of experience being asset, however I would also think that someone who has been around the sport for 5000+ jumps would have knowledge of different aspects of the sport even if they don't have experience in that specific discipline. For example, if someone has never done a wingsuit jump because it doesn't appeal to them, I think they could have enough of an understanding of that aspect of the sport (based on their years of experience an thousands of jumps) to be an effective president.

Although I was replying to your comment, it was in the context of the thread and stayhigh's comment about who has the most jumps. I don't know anything about either Jay or Sherry's experience level, however based on comments regarding the number of jumps Sherry has I don't think her number of jumps would indicate that she doesn't have the experience required to be USPA President (admittedly I know nothing about the different disciplines that they participate in). Stayhigh's comments regarding who has the most jumps implied that he thinks that # of jumps is the sole factor in determining who would be the better USPA President, and I disagree with that opinion (and based on previous comments it appears you do as well).

Just what boat is Rich Winstock in???? Ya see, that could be the "Love Boat," or The "Black Pearl!" What an ignorant topic IMHO. So quick to persecute, but not interested in finding out the facts, or the truth of the matter. Why don't you just "Stay High?" & "Go Away?" WA,AH. <====== (That don't mean whining by the way.) See if you can figure it out for your self.

rwieder

Just what boat is Rich Winstock in???? Ya see, that could be the "Love Boat," or The "Black Pearl!" What an ignorant topic IMHO. So quick to persecute, but not interested in finding out the facts, or the truth of the matter. Why don't you just "Stay High?" & "Go Away?" WA,AH. <====== (That don't mean whining by the way.) See if you can figure it out for your self.

Hmmm. So I attended the gm meeting last night. I was appalled how little interest and just down right rudeness certain board members had in the meeting. Several spent the whole time playing on their phones and texting each other across the room and giggling like little teenage girls. You would think they could fake that the care for 2 weekends a year.

J
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Can you tell us who, of our representatives, are the ones acting in such a distasteful manner. Maybe, if people knew, maybe, just maybe, we could get mad and take some action like voting for someone different next time around or some other participation...I couldn't make it to the meeting, but appreciate that you did, and that you may be able to give the rest of us some better insight into
exactly who feels what and who shows any disrespect for the members...
Thanks,
Tom
tom #90 #54 #08 and now #5 with a Bronze :-)