Munther Alahmad

Storing Gear - off season

Hi all, 

i am still new to skydiving and i had bought my gear 4 months ago. Given it is not season now in NL, it would not surprise me if i dont jump for months. So, my question is, how do i store my rig best without damaging it? or just the best way to hide it/store it?

At the moment, it is just leaning in my room under my working desk (sunlight doesn't reach it). is it better to put it in a closet? in a suitcase? etc.? 

Thanks in advance for letting me know!

unpack your main, store it loosely folded in a waterproof container in a dark area.

If you use rubber bands, don't leave them wrapped around suspension lines since the rubber may / will degrade.

clean any dirt from your harness / container, leave the reserve packed and store the "rig" in a waterproof container in a dark area.

take it to your rigger for an I&R several weeks prior to jumping again.

Have fun.

• Like 1

(edited)
16 hours ago, kleggo said:

unpack your main, store it loosely folded in a waterproof container in a dark area.

If you use rubber bands, don't leave them wrapped around suspension lines since the rubber may / will degrade.

clean any dirt from your harness / container, leave the reserve packed and store the "rig" in a waterproof container in a dark area.

take it to your rigger for an I&R several weeks prior to jumping again.

Have fun.

Thanks for the response!! but is this the way even if i jump on average one day a month?

Edited by Munther Alahmad

6 hours ago, Munther Alahmad said:

Thanks for the response!! but is this the way even if i jump on average one day a month?

If you are jumping once a month, don't worry about it.

kleggo's advice is solid, but is more of a 'long term' storage process.

I take winters off these days (too old to jump in the cold) so my rig usually sits from maybe late October/early November until April or May.

The only thing I really do is pull the pilot chute out of the BOC pouch to keep the spandex 'relaxed'. Rig sits in the gear bag, in the spare bedroom (kept at normal house temps).

Standard I&R & repack the main in spring.

• Like 2

- store your rig in a dedicated wheelie suitcase which you can use for storage, DZ visits and flights

- If not jumping for more than couple weeks, remove pilot chute from BOC (* see idea below)

- use a garment brush on rig before putting away (type you use on men’s suits, not the hard-bristle type you clean your bathroom tiles with)

- NEVER put your rig away wet or damp.  If last jump of day was to wet grass, take you rig home unpacked and pack main at home when dry

- don’t store rig in area of your home that may get wet or flood at any time

* I had my rigger make this pouch for me years ago.   When storing rig, I remove PC from BOC pouch and put in this bag and tuck the red loop handle under my Javelin’s main pin cover while storing

PCStorageBag.jpg