Zeppo

When is it time to walk away...

BIGUN

You have found a very special place as an Ambassador for skydiving in many areas and a beautiful ability to balance over the years of which I for one - envy.

Thanks Keith!

~ just lucky I guess.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

For me, Skydiving was FANTASTIC as a single guy. Now I have a 6 month old boy, and time with him (and my wife) is waaaay more valuable to me than hanging out at the DZ. That said, if he wants to get in the tunnel and start jumping when he's old enough, I'll likely jump back in with both feet.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Funny I've been worrying a lot that I wont have a choice to make and my body is about to tell me I'm done. I have made 3 skydives in the last year and a half one a demo a week before my surgery into my customer appreciation day we hold for our customers last year. Then I had surgery a week later (fused C5-6-7) and 2 this year after a year of recovery time.

On all 3 I was more worried about the opening so much so that I didn't really enjoy the jumps. Well except for the one Saturday, that one I loved the feeling of flying head down chasing my customer that won the tandem skydive we give away each year. Man I love chasing tandems..But when I tracked away the fear of the opening came back.. :(

The doctor told me the fusion is stronger then my neck ever was but the nagging fear from that and not having jumped in eons it seems makes for a miserable plane ride and jump. All I could think of was having a slammer and flying paralyzed into the ground or the plane crashing into the mountain :(

For me that has always been my biggest issue, the plane ride. It took me 25 jumps to not to argue with getting back on the plane after I finally got back down. I have the same irrational argument with myself after a long layoff. Before it went away after I left the aircraft but now with my neck fusion it was all I could think about on 2 of the 3 jumps and right at pull time on the jump Saturday.

I told my wife I have accomplished almost everything I wanted from jumping except my PRO rating, a 100 way in my log book and to be with my kids when and if they decide to make their first jump. Next year my health permitting the first two will be my goals. As for my kids I hope I make it through my kids 18th's birthdays. My daughter is 15 so hers maybe but my son just turned 8. Not sure I will even be walking straight at 58 let alone jumping so we will see.

I know most of that has nothing to do with what your feeling but I wanted to share it to show our brains are funny things and if your not enjoying it then that is a really expensive and stupid way to spend a weekend.

For me Saturday saved me as if I spent the WHOLE skydive miserable I probably would have a different story to tell today but that jump reminded me WHY I jump out of perfectly good airplanes and why I will still for the foreseeable future will continue..

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

Stumpy

For me, Skydiving was FANTASTIC as a single guy. Now I have a 6 month old boy, and time with him (and my wife) is waaaay more valuable to me than hanging out at the DZ. That said, if he wants to get in the tunnel and start jumping when he's old enough, I'll likely jump back in with both feet.

I've just returned to jumping after a 13 year layoff. I was in my 20s and single then (only got to 72 jumps before I quit due to funds, UK winter and the fact that I was bored of solos and couldn't afford to do FS1). Now I'm 40, married, and have 2 daughters of 3 and 5 years old...and I've just started jumping again!

I read posts like yours and wonder if I'm just plain mad for coming back!

About 25% of my back is fuzed, couple nine inch rods and a double handfull of screws... I know what you're talking about.

First fifty jumps a year after surgery were nerve wracking - what's gonna get ya the opening or the landing. Lol

I rigged up a pilot chute controlled reefing system that took care of the openings.

For me it was easy. The decision was made for me. Did not fit in which was my fault. Made enemies on line. (mainly my fault) It was meant to be. Did 66 jumps without a scratch and met some really good folk like Ralph and Patrik.

Happily retired with good memories... nil interest in jumping again. A couple of folk i would like to get even with. but not worth the energy. It was fun and a good experience. Thanks Ralph Patrik Wooka Boo to the max Don Sarah and KGB (but they would say the same to me)
I tend to be a bit different. enjoyed my time in the sport or is it an industry these days ??

gregpso

For me it was easy. The decision was made for me. Did not fit in which was my fault. Made enemies on line. (mainly my fault) It was meant to be. Did 66 jumps without a scratch and met some really good folk like Ralph and Patrik.

Happily retired with good memories... nil interest in jumping again. A couple of folk i would like to get even with. but not worth the energy. It was fun and a good experience. Thanks Ralph Patrik Wooka Boo to the max Don Sarah and KGB (but they would say the same to me)

Apples and oranges... The OP is contemplating a voluntary disassociation - that's a personal decision.

A far cry from being involuntarily thinned from the herd.

It does however give you 'special snowflake' status!

Talk about being in a small minority!!

good analysis twardo...:)
When it is time to walk away..... which I personally hope is still a few years away,, for Me..[:/]

I will remember , If ever I am asked about my jumping,,
to Never say " My Last ... Jump " was such and such,,, but rather to say " My Most RECENT Jump " was such & such...;)

:) jmy

airtwardo

I rigged up a pilot chute controlled reefing system that took care of the openings.

Elaborate, please! :)My fear of hard openings is starting to take away from the thrill of the jumps. Anything to help alleviate that would be much appreciated!
You may never get rid of the butterflies, but you can teach them to fly in formation.

Interesting to read all the posts. After 15 years and 1500 jumps, I'm asking myself the same questions. Actually, it's been about three years since I'd be able to fairly consider myself current, but I still drag out to the DZ once in a while to try and rekindle the flame.

My concern is that I need to shit or get off the pot. People here have mentioned the risks involved: every time I go out to jump now, I'm aware that I'm in the most dangerous category of jumpers: those who are experienced but not current. I need to decide to either get back into it and stay into it, or hang it up and walk away. Mr. Miyagi and Yoda were both on the same page about this one...

Part of my difficulty in walking away is that I do still miss it, and enjoy going out to jump when I do. I also have a hard time giving up something that, for so long, WAS "who I was" as well as "what I did." OTOH, other posters here are right: I've found new friends and new hobbies that I really enjoy. And Phreezone is right: now that I'm married with a wife and a home, it's hard to toss and turn all night on a thin sleeping bag at the DZ when just minutes away I have cold beer, warm food, a soft bed, and a hot wife waiting for me! ...but not hanging out means those bonds of friendship aren't as strong, which is one of the bigger draws to go to the DZ in the first place.

It's a decision I'm still considering every day... that said, every day not jumping is a step towards the decision being made, no?

Elvisio "contemplating my navel" Rodriguez