ConfusedVorlon

Jumping from small jets? Jets and wingsuits?? What happened?

A friend called me up to try to explain the skydiving event he just witnessed. I'm baffled - I wonder if anyone here can shed some light?

He was walking in Italy (in the Dolomites) and saw two small jets cruising down the valley below him (jets were approx 1000-2000ft from the valley base).

The jets were small and flying in formation. He said it was much like the jets that fly past in the Welsh mountains; He heard the sound, then saw them for a moment, then they were gone.

Except - that there were two skydivers where the jets were, and then shortly afterwards two (square) parachutes and a lot of whooping and hollering.

So - any idea what happened?

My best guess is that someone has been doing an event where a couple of wingsuiters fly down the valley and are buzzed by a couple of jets.

Perhaps the Italian military are testing out some new ability to eject passengers at low level...

Can anyone shed any light?

ryoder

Someone shooting a new James Bond film?:D

Probably not a James Bond film, however it could be the remake of Point Break. It started filming this month and Italy is one of the locations where they are planning to film. They are using actual extreme athletes to perform the stunts, so it could have been a scene with some of the wingsuit flyers filming a scene.

JFish

***Someone shooting a new James Bond film?:D

Probably not a James Bond film, however it could be the remake of Point Break. It started filming this month and Italy is one of the locations where they are planning to film. They are using actual extreme athletes to perform the stunts, so it could have been a scene with some of the wingsuit flyers filming a scene.

what the hell is an "Actual Extreme Athlete?"
IHYD

Jbag

******Someone shooting a new James Bond film?:D

People who can hold in their gut and still breath.

Jbag

******Someone shooting a new James Bond film?:D

Probably just means real stunts done by real people, rather than Hollywood fakery. Like that freefall scene in Point Break where you just know they're suspended from a ceiling by wires with a fan blowing up on them to tussle their hair.

Sanjak

*********Someone shooting a new James Bond film?:D

Probably just means real stunts done by real people, rather than Hollywood fakery. Like that freefall scene in Point Break where you just know they're suspended from a ceiling by wires with a fan blowing up on them to tussle their hair.

^^^ This is what I meant. The wingsuit scenes are going to be performed by pro wingsuit flyers, not done with special effects/computer generated.

ConfusedVorlon

I think the most credible suggestion (thanks Slater) is that there were no jets, and they were just wingsuiters.

I'm told that wingsuiters zipping past sound a lot like jets, and this may be the cause of the confusion.

How close was he to the objects that he thought were jets? Wingsuit noise can sound quite loud when they are very close (check out some of the wingsuit videos on youtube), but from a distance I'm guessing that the noise wouldn't travel nearly as far as that from a jet - could someone with more wingsuit knowledge than me confirm?

In your OP you said that your friend saw them for a moment and then they were gone - can you get more details on what he means by this? If he saw the objects and they disappeared mid air and suddenly there were parachutes around the same place where the "jets" magically disappeared, I would be inclined to agree with you. If what he meant by they were gone is they flew out of his line of sight and then there were parachutes somewhere behind where he last saw the "jets", I'd be inclined to think that you may have been correct that there were wingsuit and jets doing some kind of stunt.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that someone could confuse a wingsuit and a fighter jet.

Jumping from small jets is dangerous.
The biggest risk is hitting the wing or engines or tail, etc.
A decade or so ago, a pair of French Air Forces para-rescue jumpers tried jumping from a Falcon executive jet. They were testing the feasibility of using executive jets to quickly transport them to the middle of an ocean, where they could jump in to save people in distress.

The Falcon's main door is forward of the wing. Contact with the left wing's leading edge made a massive bruise on the leg of one test-jumper and the other guy barely missed the wing. That was the end of the test program!

The only safe way would be to fall out a Raisbeck (after-market Supplementary Type Certificate) ski/luggage pannier under the aft fuselage. Keep in mind that the luggage pannier is not pressurized, so that altitude and endurance at (oxygen-breathing) altitudes would be severely limited if you wanted the rescue jumpers to be capable of jumping by the time they arrived over the target.

Forget about cruising at 10,000 feet until over the target (ship in distress) because jet engine, fuel efficiency drops dramatically below 20,000 feet.

A corporate pilot friend of mine repeatedly offers me the rear access hatch on the Falcon he flies. Aft of wings on port side, underneath an engine.
He said it bothered him since we met that there was not a safe way out.
:D:D:D

I still pass. Sweet aircraft though.
B|

>Jumping from small jets is dangerous.

We had a Challenger 604 for a while and it would have been quite easy to jump from, even with a fairly large ruck. The luggage hold was accessible from the cabin, and it had a door that opened inward beneath the left engine. I've often thought about it for the same purpose - rapid deployment of rescue over oceans and in areas without reliable transportation. The US Coast Guard already has a few of these.

(In fact I can't find it now but I believe it has been STCed for parachuting. I saw the news release and first thought "that can't be right" but apparently they actually did the paperwork and got it approved.)

normiss

A corporate pilot friend of mine repeatedly offers me the rear access hatch on the Falcon he flies. Aft of wings on port side, underneath an engine.

B|

You pass on using your buddies backdoor to get your rocks off?

:P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

theonlyski

***A corporate pilot friend of mine repeatedly offers me the rear access hatch on the Falcon he flies. Aft of wings on port side, underneath an engine.

B|

You pass on using your buddies backdoor to get your rocks off?

:P

probably a good call :D
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!