baronn

Turbo 206 P model as skydive aircraft........

Turbos are designed and intended to get up high and stay there. The up and down cycle of jump ops is very hard on them.

Mismanage the engine and it will get very expensive very fast.
Make sure the pilot knows the particulars and peculiarites of operating a turbo equipped plane.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Good climbing aircraft if you want to go to 12K+ Or are a high field elevation DZ. Not needed for tandems at 10K. Higher maintenance costs and higher operating/more tach time if you don't turn loads. The turbine usually needs about 10 minutes running to cool things down prior to shut down.
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

I've got about 20 jumps on a 206. A turbo is great, a turbine much better and a regular piston is not bad. The issue from my jumps is the abitlity to exit. The door has to be easy to open, and you need a step right below the door and a hand rail on top would be a great additive.The gear step is reachable for a float postion but can prove difficult if not intimidating to Noobs. I think it can be a great jump aricraft if configured right.

A P206, when set up for jumping, has the same top hinged door as a 182. The "P" designation means PASSENGER model. You have been jumping from a U206, the "U" designation means UTILITY model which has the large cargo door aft of the landing gear leg. A P206 Is basicly a stretched 182 and the step is in the same place as stated above. As far as the TURBO goes, it has been done for years in CO. I would find out who has operated one for many years and call them. Don't listen to anybody on here. It may cost you an engine overhaul.

Appreciate the responses but, trying to keep this on subject. Not looking for an education on the aircraft or, to educate others. Attempting to get some real info on the pro's and con's if operating this setup. Thanks ahead if time......

Lets hear everyone's opinion of using this model skydive aircraft. The good, bad and the ugly. Lets try to keep this informative by sharing facts and historical data. Pipe in!

Well...I did and OH what a mistake I made. I write this as I wipe egg off my face. I did NOT read properly.

Then I noted my error in the OOOPS entry! Do ya'll see that one?

Maybe I'm not the only one around here with an occassional reading problem.

Baronn,
I have thousands of tandem jumps and AFF jumps from P206. Not turbo. In Alaska years ago we did have a P206 turbo I own a P206B and is a great work horse. This is just general information about P206 all models

Pros P206
Get to Altitude faster w/turbo
Easily modified to be a jump plane
Step is easy to create
Door can be changed to open like a 182
Lexan roll up door options
Haul 6 skydivers with the right STC
Very dependable aircraft
Parts are easily found

Cons P206
w/ turbo higher Maint cost
w/ turbo engine management
Wing struts is more forward than a 182
the wheel strut is higher than a 182 (less head room)
More expensive than a 182 (but is a true work horse)
Fuel burn more than a 182

I love my P206B very little would I change on this ship. There are others that have owned and operated 206 more than me but starting off a tandem instructor at a Cessna Dropzone with a P206C and a P206 Turbo I had the experince of figuring out how to utilize this aircraft. It’s the same but different than a 182. Climb outs are different.

Shannon