the.Legend

Barrell roll on a canopy

While barrel rolls had been done for at least 20 years on skydiving gear, on a descending flight path, I guess the innovation was doing it after a touch and go at surface level. Not actually a climbing barrel roll, but with a canopy with the performance to climb enough after a touch and go, to still allow the barrel roll to be completed. Not done to a safe landing on dry land, but at least to a reasonably controlled splash down on water.

Not that I know much about the history of these things; I'm just trying to put it all into context of what the specific attributes and achievements were.

Edited by pchapman

I've done them on a bunch of skydive wings from a Gangster 96 down to a Wairwolf 75. I've also done them on larger speedwings, 140 being the biggest and found it way harder to keep the bigger wings properly pressurised. No extra trimming etc required but as with everything, there is a proper technique.....please get some help if you're gonna try!

Sunset barrel roll

(edited)

I noticed this comment from Jesse:
image.png.ceb2cd14ca47474b02afe8f361a967f0.png

Why does a headwind vs tailwind matter for the roll performance? I can understand if he is talking about a change in wind speed during descent / a bit of wind shear? or that somehow near the ground there is some interaction with the surface that affects the wind just above it? otherwise the only reason a headwind would be preferred would be to slow down the landing runout right?

Edited by SethInMI
typo

1 hour ago, SethInMI said:

Why does a headwind vs tailwind matter for the roll performance? I can understand if he is talking about a change in wind speed during descent / a bit of wind shear?

Yeah I'm guessing it is the normal wind shear that exists near the surface, with wind speed sometimes significantly increasing in the bottom 100' or whatever of the atmosphere. 
I'm not totally sure of the logic in all cases. Eg, why do you want just a little headwind, rather than a moderate although still smooth headwind being equally as good?  
But anyway, if you are down low with lets say near zero wind and pop up into a higher headwind, wham, you can get a temporary boost in lift, that gives you more margin before sinking out back to ground level.   ("Temporary" until inertia effects and aerodynamics have you and the canopy reacting to the changed wind conditions.)
(Note that the upwards trajectory in the maneuver matters too as the increased headwind also increases the angle of attack, also boosting lift. In contrast, when on a normal skydive you are just descending on a normal glide under a parachute, and suddenly you get a headwind, yes the wind speed hitting the canopy is higher, but the angle of attack of the canopy will suddenly be lower -- so depending on angles and speeds, the combination of greater speed but less angle of attack may give more or less lift -- the canopy might sink faster rather than sinking less fast, or even have the nose collapse downwards if the angle of attack got too low. ) 

(edited)
On 12/6/2022 at 2:53 PM, SethInMI said:

I noticed this comment from Jesse:
image.png.ceb2cd14ca47474b02afe8f361a967f0.png

Why does a headwind vs tailwind matter for the roll performance? I can understand if he is talking about a change in wind speed during descent / a bit of wind shear? or that somehow near the ground there is some interaction with the surface that affects the wind just above it? otherwise the only reason a headwind would be preferred would be to slow down the landing runout right?

I'm with you. In the sense that the head wind vs tail wind will affect perspective and not actual performance of the wing in its given envelope of air.

Edited by ChrisHoward
Edit: Didn't watch read the article.

It's possible to do zero-altitude-loss barrelrolls on speedwings. Check out:

Do not forget, that speedwings have much shorter lines than skydiving canopies. In my experience - the shorter the lines, the easier it is to prevent diving after a barrel.

I did a few close to the ground on a 90 velo back 13 years ago now. I don't do them near the ground anymore (thanks to a good friend talking some sense into me) but still enjoy doing them on high pulls or planned in flocking jumps. I've done them on 111 FX's down to 71 Leia (220 lbs exit). I think it is more about the responsiveness of the canopy than it's size. 

outside view

Inside view