BETO74

running wild with Bear Gryll show

So I'm watching this show called running wild with Gryll featuring Zac Efron the guy throw Zac out an helicopter to what they wanna make believe is his first jump. idiots board the heli without legs straps done (not precisely a safe wY to do it) heli pilot should had warned and debrief them but hey, I know some heli pilots that are real idiots! then the guy jumps statict line and line seems to wrapped around the guys legs parachute do not deploy inmmediayely giving him a few seconds of free fall, watch the show and comment, clear violation of every skydive rule I know.... beside the fact that I don't believe is this guys first jump ! ( not problem there)
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

BETO74

So I'm watching this show called running wild with Gryll featuring Zac Efron the guy throw Zac out an helicopter to what they wanna make believe is his first jump. idiots board the heli without legs straps done (not precisely a safe wY to do it) heli pilot should had warned and debrief them but hey, I know some heli pilots that are real idiots! then the guy jumps statict line and line seems to wrapped around the guys legs parachute do not deploy inmmediayely giving him a few seconds of free fall, watch the show and comment, clear violation of every skydive rule I know.... beside the fact that I don't believe is this guys first jump ! ( not problem there)

We changed the channel after realizing that the rest of the show is probably as staged as the skydiving scene.

Yes, the dude climbs into the chopper without his legstraps on and away they go. The jump was an IAD (not static line) and somehow the guy instinctively reached up and grabbed the steering toggles and steered to the ground in close proximity to the camera crew even though this was supposedly his first hop.

Oh well.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

I did the same thing... changed the channel..... Im cool with promoting the sport at any level but not the condescendence they approached this jump, the IAD was horrendous, safety was grossly neglected. I have more than a few jumps from different types of helicopters from R22 to Bell's 407's and in two different occasions another skydivers had open containers while in the heli, to see these guys these non-sense really got me. If this guy dies due to a parachute never opening because the bridle wrapped around his leg will really be something to read about !

this guy was lucky! period
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

I know this is in General, but my reply is a little more Bonfire...

That scene was fucking stupid, but Bear is an incredible person. I happened to meet him at Denver Intl back in 2007. No one was around him besides his crew, and I asked if I could trouble him for a quick picture. What I thought would be a 30 second encounter turned into a 30 minute chat. You wouldn't (actually, you probably would) believe the things that are/aren't staged in the show.

JohnnyMarko

What I thought would be a 30 second encounter turned into a 30 minute chat. You wouldn't (actually, you probably would) believe the things that are/aren't staged in the show.

When he happens to come across a freshly killed animal that he then eats, I don't see how it's survival.

I prefer Survivorman and recently have started watching Naked & Afraid as well.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

theonlyski

***What I thought would be a 30 second encounter turned into a 30 minute chat. You wouldn't (actually, you probably would) believe the things that are/aren't staged in the show.

When he happens to come across a freshly killed animal that he then eats, I don't see how it's survival.

I prefer Survivorman and recently have started watching Naked & Afraid as well.

Shane from the first season of N&A jumps at Pepperell. Nice guy.

Man / Women vs Wild is a fun show also. The part in the helicopter was obviously set up for regular jumpers to pick apart, humorously. He's sitting with the door open, both guys chest straps are obviously tucked under the main lift webs, slapping Bear in the face, and he has to pull his out of his face while talking about safety and grinning about it ....... I figure they both had seat belts on at that time. Dorky move but..........
Life is short ... jump often.

Theres a parachute landing he did ages ago in the snow and ice somewhere that was clearly fake....im guessing the camera ppl weren't in the right place to catch the real landing...so wat they did was make a shitty ground launch type thing into a landing....I cant find the video anymore but
FTMC