coolskydiverguy

Opening impact

BigMikeH77

Why don't you jump with some force-measuring equipment and tell US?

Your name is a sham, I have bellybutton lint older than your registration date, and this is your first post. Contribute something worthwhile and inform US of your findings.

Settle the fuck down. If you don't like people asking questions on forums then maybe you shouldn't visit forums.

BigMikeH77

Your name is a sham, I have bellybutton lint older than your registration date, and this is your first post. Contribute something worthwhile and inform US of your findings.

And what have you contributed to the forums, oh great wise asshole?

B|INDEED I HAVE!!! B|

I have also learned that sometimes the greatest contribution you can make is the one where you don't say a word.

ETA- Also that one of the worst things you can talk about on DZ.com is skydiving. 90% of the people on here are has-beens, full of hot air. 4% are trying to sell me a fake passport, 2% are attorneys trying to bank off of an injury claim, 3% are current jumpers who think their way is the best and ergo the only way, and the final 1% are current, rational, and levelheaded peeps. If the shoe fits, go ahead and put it on.

From time to time there is an interesting and worthwhile discussion, but those are the exception. :P

BigMikeH77

B|INDEED I HAVE!!! B|

I have also learned that sometimes the greatest contribution you can make is the one where you don't say a word.

That doesn't make sense.

You should take some of your own advice....

To the OP, a lot of things determine opening force...canopy type, canopy size, your weight, container, body position, pack job, etc...are you asking for a specific reason? Are you looking to start jumping but have a bum clavicle?

Thanks Big Mike for the douche suggestion. I will look up in the sim for regulations on wearing force measuring equipment. I am sure it is right under the paragraph about wearing go pros. Logically, skydiving is so cheap that I have money in my pocket to burn on force measuring equipment.

Yes I am recovering from a broken clavicle. It has been long enough since the injury that I am doing push and pull ups just fine. From what I have read on the internet, it only takes 10 pounds of pressure to break a clavicle. If I were to guess with out using force measuring equipment, there is more than 10 pounds of force on the majority of openings I have packed.

In the three years in the sport, I have not heard of a clavicle break due to opening. Thus, I was wondering if the clavicle actually takes that much impact on opening.

coolskydiverguy

Thanks Big Mike for the douche suggestion. I will look up in the sim for regulations on wearing force measuring equipment. I am sure it is right under the paragraph about wearing go pros. Logically, skydiving is so cheap that I have money in my pocket to burn on force measuring equipment.

Yes I am recovering from a broken clavicle. It has been long enough since the injury that I am doing push and pull ups just fine. From what I have read on the internet, it only takes 10 pounds of pressure to break a clavicle. If I were to guess with out using force measuring equipment, there is more than 10 pounds of force on the majority of openings I have packed.

In the three years in the sport, I have not heard of a clavicle break due to opening. Thus, I was wondering if the clavicle actually takes that much impact on opening.

I can't think of any reason why there would be a lot of force on your clavicle so long as you're opening from a belly to earth attitude. If you pull from head down then things might be different.

FYI, I've had openings that were hard enough to brake bones but I haven't ever noticed any stress on my clavicle. But then again I've never pulled from head down. Although I've pulled from full flight on a WS, which is almost like head down in a way, but even on that I don't recall feeling much pain on my clavicle.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

I can't think of ever feeling any. I've known of broken ribs, broken femurs, bused biceps and legs (of course), whiplash, even broken neck (RIP Mike), but never a broken clavicle. Whats to put stress on it? Chest strap is lower, MLW are usually outside, and load is transmitted to legs.

I'm not a doctor but if you can do push ups I'd think your good to go.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

BigMikeH77

B|INDEED I HAVE!!! B|

ETA- Also that one of the worst things you can talk about on DZ.com is skydiving. 90% of the people on here are has-beens, full of hot air. 4% are trying to sell me a fake passport, 2% are attorneys trying to bank off of an injury claim, 3% are current jumpers who think their way is the best and ergo the only way, and the final 1% are current, rational, and levelheaded peeps. If the shoe fits, go ahead and put it on.

From time to time there is an interesting and worthwhile discussion, but those are the exception. :P

So maybe you should fuck off if this place is so worthless?

For the OP:

In typical skydiving conditions there shouldn't be a large amount of force on your clavicles. Opening always seemed to put more pressure on my thighs than anything else.

That said, in skydiving it's a really good idea to plan for the worst situation, rather than the best.... I can imagine that if you're head low on an opening, or in a funky orientation then the risk of pressure being applied there might increase some.

Personally I'd get a suggestion from my doc on the change in strength on my clavicle. If he says 'after a year or so it should be pretty much back to normal' I wouldn't worry about it, but if he said 'it's always going to be as fragile as glass', well, then maybe skydiving is a bad idea, you know?

councilman24

Whats to put stress on it?

Well your risers and three ring are laying pretty much right over the top of them. If he had prominent collar bones and was in a slight head down position on opening, so that the majority of the shock happened in that area?

Crazier shit has happened?

Even on the hardest opening I've ever had, I did not feel a thing on my clavicle.

However, my neck was fucked for 2 weeks, and the feeling of something not right lasted another month after that.

During hard opening most of the stress goes to your lower back or the neck, depending on what your spine was doing while canopy slams open.

I try to keep my spine straight as possible during opening.

When your spine is straight as it can be and if the canopy opens hard, the next part that takes most stress would be your femur, by the sockets where it goes in to your pelvis.

All above are just my theory thru the experience. Not proven at all.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

coolskydiverguy

I have broken a clavicle on opening before. To be fair, though, the opening was concomitant with a freefall collision, so there were additional forces at play.

That was my right clavicle. My left had been broken in an auto accident (seatbelt got it), so now I have a matching set. In both cases, they healed slightly offset. With the extra bone growth, they are much stronger than they were before.

In my (non-doctor) opinion, you'll be fine as long as you wait for it to fully heal.

BigMikeH77

ETA- Also that one of the worst things you can talk about on DZ.com is skydiving. 90% of the people on here are has-beens, full of hot air. 4% are trying to sell me a fake passport, 2% are attorneys trying to bank off of an injury claim, 3% are current jumpers who think their way is the best and ergo the only way, and the final 1% are current, rational, and levelheaded peeps.

9% are people who come here not to have conversations, but to try to shut them down. They tell people not to ask questions or not to discuss topics in which they are not interested or which they feel were covered adequately in a 9-year-old thread. They treat this forum like their own private clubhouse. Perhaps they are trying to save some KB on a server somewhere, perhaps they are drunk, or perhaps they are just disrespectful ogres in real life. They might even have "Making new friends" as a phrase in their profile, yet react incredibly poorly to the presence of new people.

In future, before anybody posts anything, ask yourself some questions:

1. Would BigMikeH77 be interested in this post?
2. Would BigMikeH77 consider this post appropriate given my registration date?
3. Would BigMikeH77 approve of my username?
4. Would BigMikeH77 believe I had done enough independent testing and background work on my own in advance of asking this question?

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

It doesn't seem like that much. My general crotch-area seems to get the worst of it, with around my shoulders a close second. Back when I was jumping the student Nav 300 and falling at 170 mph, those were the places where I'd get the most bruises. I never dislocated my shoulder, but both of them were sore for a lot of my first year. I haven't had bruises from opening for about a year now. The extra padding on my own rig helped with that a lot. Slowing down 40 mph helped a lot, too.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

A properly fitting rig helps a lot on distributing those loads also. If you deploy from a belly to earth position and take a few seconds to get in a good body position and deploy as slowly as you can fall stable, I think your clavicles should be saved from most of the opening force. A premature unexpected opening is anybody's guess.

Shit got real up in here. As for some info. I broke my clavicle last year and it healed a little wonky so its not perfectly aligned. I have had 0 problems with it on opening thus far and dont expect to have many problems. I wouldnt worry about it but thats just me
Belt and Suspenders

coolskydiverguy

On opening how much impact is on your clavicle?

it's way less than an impact with planet earth! :P

cant believe no-one came up with that yet..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

coolskydiverguy

I broke my collarbone late Nov. 2013. I was skydiving by January 20th, 2014. I sat up a lot on opening to baby it, but I don't think it was necessary. If you can do push ups and pull ups, I think you're good to go. That was my standard too. B|

BTW, I believe I'm a 1%-er, but that may just be my inflated ego telling me that. :P:D

BigMikeH77

jeez, you used to need a few thousand jumps on here to be an ass hole, now you dont even need a hundred :S
Jump more, Bitch less.