1 1
olofscience

Go anti-woke, go broke

I know our troll kept posting 'go woke, go broke' topics which had a pretty broad definition of 'woke', but here at least it's self-described.

So apparently there was a bank that was founded to be anti-woke:

The app was aimed at people who saw Wall Street as too liberal and wanted a bank that shared their values.

...and well, they went broke: https://www.wsj.com/articles/anti-woke-bank-glorifi-to-shut-down-11669051554

If there is one thing you can count on with the anti-woke crowd. Is that they are total f*&k-ups. S.C. anti-woke nutjobs excluded of course.

Peter Thiel, yeah Elon Musk's pay-pal billionaire buddy. Gave the idiot CEO $50 million to start this nuthouse. “Mr. Neugebauer’s(the CEO) 16,000-square-foot Dallas home, modeled after the White House, became the company’s(the bank in question) initial headquarters. Desks dotted the property’s palatial common areas. Employees who didn’t live in Dallas would often stay in guest bedrooms, where they could sometimes hear Mr. Neugebauer pacing the halls during his 17-hour workdays, according to former employees.”

And: “[S]taffers began complaining about what they said were Mr. Neugebauer’s volatile behavior and drinking habits,...‘Several people working at the mansion told me to make sure I leave around 6,’ Ms. Amos wrote in the memo. ‘When I inquired why, they stated that after 5 p.m. Toby starts drinking and things at the house deteriorate quickly.’”

The other bank business partner involved in this mess was Nick Ayers, former chief of staff to Mike Pence. Naturally since this is a bank, rabidly conservative, trump has to around somewhere. "Nick Ayers has been a White House chief of staff in waiting.

President Donald Trump informally offered Ayers a job as his top aide during a private huddle at an election night party in the White House residence last month. Several White House staff and advisers were within earshot and overheard the conversation, which included First Lady Melania Trump, and its details were described to POLITICO by two people briefed on them."

7 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Stupid Second Guy Syndrome.

I don't blame the first guy for trying something, I blame the second guy who says, "That sounds like a good idea" when he should have said, "That sounds stupid." 

Well, as they say: 
"Grifters gonna grift".

Opportunistic predators trying to cash in on the 'anti-Woke' idiots. 

When it's selling stupid clothes on FB, or soliciting donations from the gullible, it's one thing.

But when it's a highly regulated industry like banking, it's not quite as easy.

I'll guess that the ringleaders didn't lose a dime.

Just the fools who invested.

I don't think the Klingons, Romulans, Borg, or even the Vulcans, were woke. For that matter, I'm not sure it can be claimed that Velociraptors or Yellow Jackets can be defined as woke. SC Moderators and we Liberal silly kids are sort of woke, I guess, so we have that. 

3 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

I don't think the Klingons, Romulans, Borg, or even the Vulcans, were woke. For that matter, I'm not sure it can be claimed that Velociraptors or Yellow Jackets can be defined as woke. SC Moderators and we Liberal silly kids are sort of woke, I guess, so we have that. 

I’d give yellow jackets a pass. They definitely hate everyone equally.

The economics of fantasy and drivel are well established in the world of religion.  Suspension of disbelief is routinely the basis of a lucrative business model.

A couple of examples that come to mind are LDS and Scientology.  A dispassionate analysis of the literature behind each of those ideologies reveals their bases to be demonstrable, unadulterated nonsense.  In both cases, they bring in money hand over fist.

The darlings of the Woke movement similarly put forth blather and bring in millions.

The bottom line is that attempting to correlate economic success with the validity of underlying principles is a fool's errand.

BSBD,

Winsor

2 hours ago, winsor said:

The darlings of the Woke movement similarly put forth blather and bring in millions.

Hmm.

Emmett Till was one of the darlings of that movement.  He certainly didn't bring in millions.

After Emmett Till was lynched, Rosa Parks, another one of the darlings of the woke movement, put forth her blather, and she didn't make millions.  She was arrested, jailed and lost her job.

Martin Luther King was one of the most woke people of his time.  His blather has become a fundamental plank in civil rights in the US, and is perhaps the best known woke warrior in the US.  He got a bullet for his troubles.

Harvey Milk was the first openly gay politician in California.  His blather got one of the first gay rights bills passed in California.  He did not bring in millions; he got a bullet as well.

So no, generally the darlings of the woke movement did not bring in millions.  Generally they suffered for their blather.

They're both just different facets of the same thing. Woke demands individual awareness of whatever other person I'm talking with, BLM is presented more as a more organized movement to highlight that the general acceptance that "some lives are worth more than others" is wrong, when race is a primary means of that determination of worth. Both are much demonized, but just like anything else, both are a range of behaviors and people, from the reasonable to the ridiculous. Kind of like how I vote in elections because I want some input into them, but I don't participate in violent attempts to wrest control of the vote counting and certification.

And not recognizing/accepting that there are degrees to that which you disagree with is just as intellectually dishonest as demanding that someone else recognize your degrees intimately.

Wendy P.

11 hours ago, wmw999 said:

They're both just different facets of the same thing.

For me, kinda. Woke is being alert to racial prejudice and discrimination in high-level legal constructs that prohibit equality. BLM is being alert to prejudice and discrimination in social constructs that promote racism. Am I splitting hairs here?   

2 hours ago, BIGUN said:

For me, kinda. Woke is being alert to racial prejudice and discrimination in high-level legal constructs that prohibit equality. BLM is being alert to prejudice and discrimination in social constructs that promote racism. Am I splitting hairs here?   

Possibly, but maybe not for the reasons you think. The word "Woke" has been turned so toxic by elements of the right that it is pretty much used exclusively as a perjorative now, so it's almost impossible to use it the way you have defined here (as it originated) and be understood correctly.

As in, I was genuinely disappointed in you having used it, because I reflexively took it as the perjorative. I am *glad* that I was wrong about your intent, but I honestly could not tell you the last time I saw a conservative use it correctly and without an implied sneer.

Edited by mistercwood
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Let's not commingle Woke and BLM. Different. 

Woke is someone who is alert to injustice in society.  The BLM targets one particular injustice - bigotry against blacks.  Someone who supports the goals of BLM is woke; someone who is woke may not be part of BLM.

22 minutes ago, billvon said:

Woke is someone who is alert to injustice in society.  The BLM targets one particular injustice - bigotry against blacks.  Someone who supports the goals of BLM is woke; someone who is woke may not be part of BLM.

We've had this discussion and both of us have tried to school Winsor on the subject. Woke is an aristocracy devoted to means that prevent minorities from advancement by using the legal system. 

BLM on the other hand is/was supposed to be a decentralized social movement to enlighten the American public, which went south after even the minorities saw where the money was going. Intent was good following the murders of several African-Americans which we all witnessed, but unfortunately, too much money too soon  . . .   

59 minutes ago, mistercwood said:

I am *glad* that I was wrong about your intent, but I honestly could not tell you the last time I saw a conservative use it correctly and without an implied sneer.

Thank you. Please don't confuse conservative with MAGA right.

• Like 3

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1596083744728928257

I am neither conventionally right nor left, but I agree with your point. The woke mind virus has thoroughly penetrated entertainment and is pushing civilization towards suicide. There needs to be a counter-narrative.

I see woke/SJW is more of a crying wolf phenomena.  "Donglegate" would be my favorite decade old example: getting two people fired for making a comment between themselves privately at a conference.  Or, a white person eating tacos "appropriating".  

12 minutes ago, base698 said:

I see woke/SJW is more of a crying wolf phenomena.

It only appears so at the time.

In MLK's times the same argument was made.  The woke people of the time were crying wolf.  Didn't black people have the right to vote?  Didn't they have the right to not be enslaved?  They have their section of the bus, whites have their section of the bus, that's 100% perfectly fair.  What more do they want, other than to shove interracial marriage down our throats and sit where they're not supposed to on the bus?

In the 1980's - same argument for gay people.  The woke crowd was clearly insane, calling for more gay rights.  Gays have all the rights straight people have!  A straight man can marry a straight woman; a gay man can marry a gay woman.  Exactly the same rights!  What more do they want, other than to destroy traditional families?

Nowadays we understand why those were issues.  The woke people of the time (MLK, Rosa Parks, Harvey White) were called all the same names - but time and history has vindicated them.  I'm on their side.

53 minutes ago, billvon said:
12 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Woke is an aristocracy devoted to means that prevent minorities from advancement by using the legal system. 

Well, that's structural racism - and CRT is the study of structural racism.  

Tracking. I failed to use CRT.  Thanks. 

1 hour ago, billvon said:

It only appears so at the time.

In MLK's times the same argument was made.  The woke people of the time were crying wolf.  Didn't black people have the right to vote?  Didn't they have the right to not be enslaved?  They have their section of the bus, whites have their section of the bus, that's 100% perfectly fair.  What more do they want, other than to shove interracial marriage down our throats and sit where they're not supposed to on the bus?

In the 1980's - same argument for gay people.  The woke crowd was clearly insane, calling for more gay rights.  Gays have all the rights straight people have!  A straight man can marry a straight woman; a gay man can marry a gay woman.  Exactly the same rights!  What more do they want, other than to destroy traditional families?

Nowadays we understand why those were issues.  The woke people of the time (MLK, Rosa Parks, Harvey White) were called all the same names - but time and history has vindicated them.  I'm on their side.

Do you feel you are creating a racial injustice when you eat a taco?  Do you believe a society where most cultures stay in their lane by not eating each other's cuisine results in more equity and understanding between cultures?

Edited by base698