skyrick

1st 100 way

The 1st 100-way belly was at the Muskogee Nationals, but I can't remember which year. Also, I can't find any video for it anywhere, anyone have a link to it? It would be 16mm or VHS. I want to say it was 1985-6 because my wife went with me for the first time one of those years and she was excited to see the historic jump from the ground.

Earlier that summer, skydivers gathered at Pitt Meadows, near Vancouver, Canada to try and build a hundred-way. Their jumps were part of the festivities surrounding the EXPO 86 World's Fair. After building a series of 99-ways, they gave up.

A month-or-so later, most of them gathered at a Freak Brothers Convention to attempt more hundred-ways. After building a series of 99-ways, they adjourned to the USPA Nationals in Muskogee where they succeeded.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, riggerrob said:

Earlier that summer, skydivers gathered at Pitt Meadows, near Vancouver, Canada to try and build a hundred-way. Their jumps were part of the festivities surrounding the EXPO 86 World's Fair. After building a series of 99-ways, they gave up.

A month-or-so later, most of them gathered at a Freak Brothers Convention to attempt more hundred-ways. After building a series of 99-ways, they adjourned to the USPA Nationals in Muskogee where they succeeded.

If memory serves, they decided to try an 8-way base in Muskogee over the previous attempts with 5-ways to speed things up.

(edited)

5 July 1986.  20-way base with a 10-way star at the center.  I remember it well as I was closing on the 20-way on the left leg of Guy Manos in the 10-way, with Carol Clay to my right in the 20-way.  Carol wanted to race on our approaches and, I'll admit, she won on most but not all the jumps of that event.  The "blow hole" formed by the larger base in the center, as we were briefed, was designed to allow the base to fall faster than those 5-way base or similar attempts.   

Edited by pms07