kallend

Recommendations for a free PDF maker

My trusty 12 year old laptop is being retired, on which I had a legal copy of Adobe Acrobat.  It won't transfer to my new (Windows 10) machine and I can no longer find the Acrobat installation disks.  I only need to use it once a month (to create a newsletter) now that I am retired, and I am not about to pay Adobe their exorbitant monthly fee for the current cloud based version.

Can any of the computer jocks on here recommend a stand-alone PDF maker for Windows that does a decent job of making small files and doesn't insert malware or dazzle me with ads.  I see lots of possibilities with a Google search but would prefer something that comes with an independent recommendation.

TIA

No input on Acrobat replacements, but under similar circumstances a few years ago I got a somewhat backlevel copy of MS Project along with Office for not much on eBay. These were OEM CDs (the laptop had a CD drive), which might be limiting form you. But OEM CDs reduced somewhat worries about virus infections, and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed using the products since then. Especially every month when I don’t get a bill for rental

Wendy P. 

3 hours ago, kallend said:

stand-alone PDF maker for Windows

One can "export" or "Save as .pdf in MS Office, LibreOffice, etc. the issue is they don't have the full functionality of Adobe and anyone can cut/copy/paste your work. 

Another alternative is FreeOffice: https://www.freeoffice.com/en/

They also developed a FreePdf which you might try: https://www.getfreepdf.com/en/download for a test drive

Both by SoftMaker. The only caveat is agreeing to use your email address (but you can unsubscribe from their marketing campaigns at any time).  

EDIT: The full version is $79.00/Year: https://www.softmaker.de/flexipdf

Hope that helps.

Edited by BIGUN

6 hours ago, BIGUN said:

One can "export" or "Save as .pdf in MS Office,

can't get office any more without a subscription.  hardly the choice for a once a month newsletter, but that's just my opinion.  libreoffice can save word docs, openoffice can't.  i think they both do pdfs though.  on a phone, xodo allows you to open and enter text and sign them, i use it for workorders, but not sure if it's on a desktop.  no ads and free.

14 hours ago, sfzombie13 said:

can't get office any more without a subscription.  hardly the choice for a once a month newsletter, but that's just my opinion.  i think they both do pdfs though.  on a phone, xodo allows you to open and enter text and sign them, i use it for workorders, but not sure if it's on a desktop.  no ads and free.

The point being (although, not explicit), most people have some form of "Office" be it, MS. Open, Libre, Google Docs, etc. of which all can "Save As" .pdf. but none of which can provide the protection from cut/copy/paste like Adobe or one of the other full PDF applications like SoftMaker, but to get there - one has to pay something. I know of no PDF application that offers the functionality of Adobe for free. But, there are those with a lesser cost per annum. 

14 hours ago, sfzombie13 said:

libreoffice can save word docs, openoffice can't.

Sure it can. >File >Save As and select "Microsoft Word .doc or .docx"

Anyway, I think Kallend has the info he needs. 

17 hours ago, sfzombie13 said:

can't get office any more without a subscription.  hardly the choice for a once a month newsletter, but that's just my opinion.  libreoffice can save word docs, openoffice can't.  i think they both do pdfs though.  on a phone, xodo allows you to open and enter text and sign them, i use it for workorders, but not sure if it's on a desktop.  no ads and free.

Hi 13,

A couple of months ago, I had to get a new version of MS Office.  The subscription route was one option; however, simply buying it was another option.

I found a retailer on-line & bought it for about $120.

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BIGUN said:

The point being (although, not explicit), most people have some form of "Office" be it, MS. Open, Libre, Google Docs, etc. of which all can "Save As" .pdf. but none of which can provide the protection from cut/copy/paste like Adobe or one of the other full PDF applications like SoftMaker, but to get there - one has to pay something. I know of no PDF application that offers the functionality of Adobe for free. But, there are those with a lesser cost per annum. 

Sure it can. >File >Save As and select "Microsoft Word .doc or .docx"

Anyway, I think Kallend has the info he needs. 

nope.  libreoffice can save word docs, but openoffice can't.  i may have it backwards because it's been a while since i looked but one can and one can't, the one that can't can open and work on them, but saves them in a different format and not a .doc or .docx.  i suppose they could've added that functionality in the last three years, but when i researched a free replacement for my office 2007 it couldn't. 

op is making a newsletter, not signing documents, so doesn't need to have any "full functionality" and if they do, then xodo is the free way to go, but it's on a phone, and i haven't checked if it's on a desktop.  with xodo, you have the "full functionality" of being able to take any pdf, put text onto it, and sign it.  there are others out there that allow that but as mentioned, are full of ads or other crapware.

1 hour ago, sfzombie13 said:

libreoffice can save word docs, but openoffice can't. 

Brother, I just did it. 

Open Office > file > Save As > Test.rtf.

Closed OO (It has to be closed)

Opened MS Word

Open > Test.rtf > No problem 

Test 2 .rtf.jpg

Edited by BIGUN
Wrong pic

thanx.  that's why i said i may have had it backwards or they added it in the past three years.  now i know, and i liked openoffice better than libreoffice, but had to have the save to .doc ability.  i may be able to ditch my office 2007 now.  damned thing has windows updates stopped because i won't accept the license terms to the update.  that's how they zap the old programs you have and make you buy new ones.  i had a licensed version of office 2010 from school but lost it somewhere over the years.

that's not .doc, or .docx, it's .rtf, not a word format.  word can open it, but it loses functionality.   i usually get it right when i do research, but am always open to being shown i made an error.  not in this case though.

Edited by sfzombie13

12 hours ago, sfzombie13 said:

which is $7 every month that i don't have to spend now.  why on earth would i spend that for something i use just fine for free? 

You brought up having lost an MS Office school edition - it was just a suggestion. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BIGUN said:

You brought up having lost an MS Office school edition - it was just a suggestion. 

no, i still use an outdated product because i am too cheap to pay for a new one.  i appreciate the suggestion.  anyone trying to help is always doing a good thing.  ms is famous for how they make you buy things new.  first they cut the help, then push an update that bricks whatever you're using.  they cut the help on office 07, now it has an update i refuse to accept the license terms for.  it kinda sucks because it won't let any other updates come in either, but oh well. 

For those interested in MicroSoft products: MS Office Works - it's an interesting licensing function, be sure to use your own email address once the product is installed and activated. I have yet to find better pricing. I bought the "Lifetime O365 5 user license", there is no lifetime subscription with MS. The installation appears to be a corporate type of license, but you can use your own email and OneDrive.

They also have a few other products at very reasonable prices.

@kallend - I'm pretty sure I still have a few Adobe installation disks - I'll check here in a few - happy to send you one.

I just used one CD at home on 2 computers - all fully functional and still appear to be legal installs. I believe it's version 10??