jf951

Exiting commercial flight in the event of a emergency

Hell yeah.

No rig, I would just do a super long track, shoe in the pants, and have the most spectacular ground rush ever.

Goodbye and thanx for all the fish.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

yoink

Unfortunately, unless you've carried on a bail out bottle with you, and are attuned to your personal symptoms of hypoxia, you're still not getting out.

You're just sitting there with a rig in carry on above you grinning stupidly.

Hypoxia leaves pretty much NO higher reasoning. Certainly not enough to comprehend the ramifications of a hypoxic flight and then gearing up and exiting.

IMO exiting a commercial disaster is a skydivers fantasy.
You'd be torn apart the second you started putting on gear by other passengers, even if you had time, consciousness and a stable environment.

Your best hope is hoping you survive the breakup of the plan and using your freefall skills to aim for something relatively soft. Trees, snow, whatever.

Didn't say it was possible, just a flight that you *could* exit from.

I have seen people bring own food on board, so why not bring your own oxygen :D

potatoman

Hell yeah.

No rig, I would just do a super long track, shoe in the pants, and have the most spectacular ground rush ever.

Goodbye and thanx for all the fish.

Track far away and take of your pants and hold them in your hand til impact.
The investigators will be quite puzzeld about how you got so far and why you have your pants in your hand.

OH, and keep your GoPro in your pocket. Would be top $ footage if you can rip that bad boy out.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

hmmm. pretty tough to Do....

just another reason to stay the hell OFF commercial airliners ;) imho

i prefer planes with Jump Doors...

IF you DO get out... and it's without a rig.. I.e. catastrophic structural failure.... and as Others have suggested, you Can TRACK........

And IF that's the case.....then track for trees !! Baby,,,, Track for Trees :P Or else a large body of water !!!:o:):SB|:)
jmy

mcstain

******Assuming I didn't have a rig on board:

1. Slow fall like my life depended on it and prepare to PLF

You can't PLF without a P.

Not with that attitude you can't.

Hey, if you go to your slowest possible fall rate you'll have to slam in on your belly. Not the classic PLF technique!
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I always tell people who ask (usually whuffos) that I'd strip naked and track as far as possible from the impending crash if I was in a plane that broke-up in the sky without a rig... just to give the news something to talk about later. :P

I think never finding my body would earn me a DB Cooper number... :D

NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

gowlerk

*********Assuming I didn't have a rig on board:

Not with that attitude you can't.

Hey, if you go to your slowest possible fall rate you'll have to slam in on your belly. Not the classic PLF technique!

No no no..... the real trick to landing without a parachute is to do a backflip just before impact and then do a standup.

I have done it a bunch and I always do a great standup with a cool DC with a 0.00 meters right there in the peas. IT works every time in that recurring dream

The111

***Assuming I didn't have a rig on board:

Sure you can.

http://youtu.be/cjrlBG4pvyE?t=4m5s
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Cant remember the exact time frame, but there was a guy in 1st Group (IIRC) when I was in that survived a HALO jump with a total/partial malfunction by sliding in on a hill, and another guy who survived when his main wrapped around him (investigators suspect it slowed his descent to like 80mph) by doing a PLF.

I would assume that a lot of people were concious in freefall when MH17 was shot down.

I think I might try to turn my iphone on videorecord, turn on the front camera and try to make one hell of a freestyle routine while filming my self.