1 1
billvon

GOP reaction to their lack of success

So while the republicans picked up some seats in the house (and now have a majority there) their overall performance was a stunning setback. They were campaigning during a downturn in the economy with an unpopular president of the opposite party, and traditionally that means huge gains - which they did not see.  They did not even take the Senate.

The question they have to ask themselves now is - what's next?  Because the economy will recover (as it always does) and then they will have to do a tapdance to say something like "well Biden caused the downturn but had NOTHING to do with the recovery."  They clearly have some problems with voters, and now would be the time to start fixing those problems.

There are a few smart ways forward.

1) Start a campaign to aggressively improve the economy.  Again the economy will recover anyway, but if they help it along they can (with some justification) claim credit.
2) Jettison Trump, who is now splitting both their party and the conservative vote.
3) Start working with democrats.  Either they get some of what they want (and can then take credit for it) or, if not, they can claim "we tried!  It was the dems who won't compromise!"

Today I saw a tweet that indicated which direction they will go:

"Hunter Biden's laptop is REAL."

• Like 1

Yes it has become pretty clear that their main concern is to investigate Hunter Biden for the next two years. I am quite alright with it to be honest. I think it won't sit well with many Americans, bit I also think it will get dirty enough that Joe Biden won't run again for president in 2024 and that would be a good thing for Democrats.

3 minutes ago, billvon said:

So while the republicans picked up some seats in the house (and now have a majority there) their overall performance was a stunning setback. They were campaigning during a downturn in the economy with an unpopular president of the opposite party, and traditionally that means huge gains - which they did not see.  They did not even take the Senate.

The question they have to ask themselves now is - what's next?  Because the economy will recover (as it always does) and then they will have to do a tapdance to say something like "well Biden caused the downturn but had NOTHING to do with the recovery."  They clearly have some problems with voters, and now would be the time to start fixing those problems.

1) Start a campaign to aggressively improve the economy.  Again the economy will recover anyway, but if they help it along they can (with some justification) claim credit.
2) Jettison Trump, who is now splitting both their party and the conservative vote.
3) Start working with democrats.  Either they get some of what they want (and can then take credit for it) or, if not, they can claim "we tried!  It was the dems who won't compromise!"

They’re also thanking DeSantis because they know without his aggressive redistricting push the house margins would be even slimmer than they are now. They owe half their advantage to him.

The ability to redistrict like that is just utterly broken.
It feels like it should be illegal to do that and totally disenfranchise the people who won’t vote for you.

After burning the electoral college down, gerrymandering needs to be the next thing to go.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, CygnusX-1 said:

Does anyone remember Benghazi anymore?

Hi X-1,

Somewhat.  But, I do remember her emails.  Is that enough?

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  Does anyone remember how much federal money Trey Gowdy spent investigating Hillary?  Besides, Hunter can just say, 'I don't remember.'  

7 hours ago, billvon said:

....There are a few smart ways forward.

1. "Aggressively improve the economy". Current inflation is caused by all the stimulus floating around now. In additions the recently padded "Inflation Reduction Act" has another $430 billion in spending. Ops I meant passed not padded. Padded would be the number of excess programs in it.

2. "Jettison Trump" Scientists have been trying to cure cancer for a century now. Still hasn't happened.

3. "Work with democrats". Thirty years of tribalism is going to just leave Washington? Just like that.

DeSantis the GOP front-runner is the politician that banned mask mandates During the pandemic he earned the nickname “DeathSantis”. “Ron’s strength as a politician is that he doesn’t give a fuck,” a Republican consultant who knows him told me. “Ron’s weakness as a politician is that he doesn’t give a fuck"

Over the last couple years he has only appeared on FOX less than trump. "His job as governor, he said, was to fight the horsemen of the left: critical race theory, “Faucian dystopia,” uncontrolled immigration, Big Tech, “left-wing oligarchs,” “Soros-funded prosecutors,” transgender athletes, and the “corporate media.”

The GOP is like a shark thrown onto the deck of the boat too early. Its got lots of life and will thrash around, bite some, beat up the boat.

"Hunter Biden's laptop is REAL."  Nailed it.

8 hours ago, billvon said:

Hi Bill,

Jettison Trump, eh?  IMO in the long run, this is what the GOP should do.  Will they; I doubt it.

Just read this:   “Donald Trump would rather Joe Biden be president for a thousand years than Ron DeSantis be president for five minutes.”

‘A Crazy Old Man Fighting With Himself’: Can Trump Do to DeSantis What He Did to Bush? - POLITICO

I think that will apply to any GOP contender for the nomination.

As I continue to say:  They eat their own.

I'll consider it a good day as long as they sit at the dining table.

Jerry Baumchen

2 hours ago, Slim King said:

The Republicans had a great success in this last election. I'm an independent, so I don't have a dog in the fight. The Republicans took the House of Representatives and Destroyed the Dems in Florida. If the Democrats succeed in their seven years of Trump attacks the Republicans have an even stronger candidate in DeSantis and the Democrats would have expended their energies in the wrong direction.

Screen Shot 2022-11-25 at 12.38.10 AM.png

They didn’t have success so much as DeSantis did. The republican majority in the house wouldn’t exist without redistricting. Three seats were gained through DeSantis’ map in Florida alone. With the advantage he helped hand to them republicans should have picked up many more seats. Perhaps if they’d had a plan to move the nation forward in any way other than toward exacting revenge against President Biden and the democrats they might have.

50 minutes ago, Slim King said:

The claim is he stole the election. That needs to be resolved. That would be a step forward.

Fortunately it has been.  There have been dozens of lawsuits.  Every single one found the election valid.

So, here in reality, you have nothing to worry about any more.  (I mean, you can always try to sow fear and hate if reality is not to your liking.)

4 minutes ago, Slim King said:

It's never been in court. The Judges have never allowed it to be ... Please show me a single  legal court case that found the election pure of fraud. I'll wait.

But then what if you don’t get to personally select the jury? And anyway, do you just want judges to quit judging? How about that Supreme Court, then. What are your thoughts on an independent judiciary? You know, that Constitution thingie?

Wendy P. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Slim King said:

It's never been in court. The Judges have never allowed it to be ... Please show me a single  legal court case that found the election pure of fraud. I'll wait.

Sure.  Here's one that found no fraud.  In an added benefit, US taxpayers will pay for this frivolous lawsuit.

"MADISON, Wis. (AP) — A Wisconsin judge said Thursday that a Republican-ordered, taxpayer-funded investigation into the 2020 election found “absolutely no evidence of election fraud,” but did reveal contempt for the state’s open records law by Assembly Speaker Robin Vos and a former state Supreme Court justice he hired.

Dane County Circuit Judge Valerie Bailey-Rihn awarded about $98,000 in attorneys’ fees to the liberal watchdog group American Oversight, bringing an end in circuit court to one of four lawsuits the group filed . . .

The fees will be paid by taxpayers."

https://apnews.com/article/2022-midterm-elections-wisconsin-lawsuits-presidential-16d90c311d35d28b9b5a4024e6fb880c