1 1
Rustbucket350

Mister Douglas

46 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

She's a classic!

Wendy P.

I bet it smells very rich in that cabin.  I actually like that.  Well, and the fact that you can stand up.  That's nice.

So far it is airworthy and certified.  Before they can take jumpers it needs some additional work.  Disappointing but hey, it does have seats, and seatbelts.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, wmw999 said:

She's a classic!

A friend, fellow skydiver and former member of the 82nd Airborne and I went to the 1983 Nationals in Muskogee (not to compete as skydiving newbies, but to watch). We took our rigs, "just in case" we could jump. A big way formed up and the team captain came and said there were two slots on Mr. Douglas, did we want them. Absofrigginlutelty!! 

He told us to go to the front of the plane and let them out and wait thirty seconds before going. Then he asked if we had ever jumped that plane and knew how to exit. Nope. "Point your chin at the bottom of the door and dive out." It was one of my more memorable jumps. I got to jump Mr. Douglas. It would be my one and only time, but I still love that I got to be a part of history and am glad that others will soon be able to also.   

EDIT: Damn, I just realized that was almost 40 years ago. What the hell happened.

Edited by BIGUN
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

A friend, fellow skydiver and former member of the 82nd Airborne went to the 1983 Nationals in Muskogee (not to compete as skydiving newbies, but to watch). We took our rigs, "just in case" we could jump. A big way formed up and the team captain came and said there were two slots on Mr. Douglas, did we want them. Absofrigginlutelty!! 

He told us to go to the front of the plane and let them out and wait thirty seconds before going. Then he asked if we had ever jumped that plane and knew how to exit. Nope. "Point your chin at the bottom of the door and dive out." It was one of my more memorable jumps. I got to jump Mr. Douglas. It would be my one and only time, but I still love that I got to be a part of history and am glad that others will soon be able to also.   

EDIT: Damn, I just realized that was almost 40 years ago. What the hell happened.

I hope I get to join in those stories.  Hopefully (ideally) with an idea of what im doing on exit.  I'm only 35.  Damn.  Already 35.  It's awesome to see that flying again.  I like the history.

LOVE that bird! Mr D,  was the “Cream of the Crop” among the jump ready DC-3’s of that era,(70’s-80’s). That clean paint job made it look sleeker & the tiny passenger “competition” door for No-show exits. I think my last jumps from that were in Deland, (mid 80’s). The DC-3 is still the best jump aircraft,(IMO). Maybe a bit slow climbing but just being in them was cool. The smooth rumble of those big radials, gentle drama free rotation and Big Fat huggable props. Standing up and running down that aisle when you got to go last. But especially the Fire Breathing sunset take-offs and landings. These aircraft had unique personalities.