Skwrl

Burning Man - Burning Sky

Hey all -

Which of you have been jumped at Burning Man and/or camped with Burning Sky?

Are you planning to go (and possibly camp with Burning Sky) this year? Any thoughts or recommendations for a newbie burner? I've got plenty of advice about life on the playa, I'm curious about the skydiving experience (both in the air and in the camp) specifically.

Thanks!

-J
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

Some advice -

Bring a crappy rig/main and a lot of closing loops. As the week goes on you will need longer and longer ones. (And they will likely borrow your rig for the whuffos, which is another reason to not take a nice rig.)

Don't expect to make a lot of jumps; it's not that kind of event. It takes quite a while to get manifested, get to the plane, jump, land and walk back. (Although the walking is half the fun.)

Do the night jump if you get a chance; it's one of the top ten jumps I've ever done.

billvon

Some advice -

Bring a crappy rig/main and a lot of closing loops. As the week goes on you will need longer and longer ones.

What's that about. Sand in canopies?

(And they will likely borrow your rig for the whuffos, which is another reason to not take a nice rig.)

Oh yeah. I wanna jump that rig.

Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

billvon

Some advice -

Bring a crappy rig/main and a lot of closing loops. As the week goes on you will need longer and longer ones. (And they will likely borrow your rig for the whuffos, which is another reason to not take a nice rig.)

Don't expect to make a lot of jumps; it's not that kind of event. It takes quite a while to get manifested, get to the plane, jump, land and walk back. (Although the walking is half the fun.)

Do the night jump if you get a chance; it's one of the top ten jumps I've ever done.

Yeah but at night you can't see all the playa powder explode out as the canopy deploys like they did in the Gypsy Moths:ph34r:

Jumped with Burning Sky 2 years ago.
We made 6 jumps over 3 days.
Very windy, a lot of dust but very very fun.

Don't forget to take the papers of your rig and never drink something you may be offered between landing area and packing area if you expect to jump again on the same day^^

As we went for Eloy after BM my rig cleaned itself after 20 jumps ... :)

>Sand in canopies?

Playa dust. It's still stuck to my bike.

>>And they will likely borrow your rig for the whuffos, which is another reason to
>>not take a nice rig.)

>Oh yeah. I wanna jump that rig.

Especially after the naked guy with all the body paint uses it . . . .

billvon

>Sand in canopies?

Playa dust. It's still stuck to my bike.

>>And they will likely borrow your rig for the whuffos, which is another reason to
>>not take a nice rig.)

>Oh yeah. I wanna jump that rig.

Especially after the naked guy with all the body paint uses it . . . .

Bill, you and Amy go?
IHYD

Oh, the Playa.... Sadly, after 5 consecutive years I won't make it home for dinner this year. I heard it was going to be really windy, dusty, and hot this year. To top it all off, I dont think Bassnectar is going to be there. (Inside burner joke)

I was licensed last year but failed to meet the requirements (200 jumps). Truthfully, because of the conditions, I don't think 200 is a safe minimum. D license is more appropriate. Wind, dust, family (burners) who don't pay much attention to what's up, only what's out. It is not to blame because everything you see in BRC is something new, amazing, shocking, and mind boggling at the same time (Bank of UnAmerican, Wells Cargo, Walkallovaya, THUNDERDOME, etc). If one had to focus on the sky all the time it would simply be too much.

Like stated, bring shltty gear and expect each jump to be the equivalent of 50 on your canopy/lines if you were off the playa.

Best tip I can give anyone... make it your mission to not leave BRC until you have given at least 5 times what you've taken. Oh, and bring some alcohol to the ice tent to jump to the front of the line and then volunteer to help run it.
Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance.

Isn't it like some calcified limestone dust that is nowhere else on the planet?

Dust storms... tell 'em about the fucking dust storms!!! :|

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.