joephus

Calling any Speed Skydivers

Woofie

I'd want something easily removable, so that the Pro-track can go back in the helmet for other kinds of dives for the altitude warning beeps. And I don't like the idea of not having that on a speed dive. Seems to me you need them especially more for a speed dive, because your head is locked rigid looking down, and you don't want to move it to do a visual look at an altimeter, as that would mess up your position and cost you speed. Hmm...

I'm thinking about getting the Chroma to complement the audible in my helmet. Then I'm left with getting two Protracks. I figure I'll pick one up and just use that for awhile, it won't tell me if I'm out of bounds, but I think it'll work for raining.

Luckily, I'm already a computer geek and don't think it'll be that hard to analyse the data. :) But yeah still expensive as I have to buy a whole new container system!

I am old.... Cant Remember Shit....

You can use ANY kind of audible in your helmet.. I recommend 2 of them..

You are turning what is essentially a 60 second skydive into a 40 second skydive... do you see a possible problem with that???

You have a certain "muscle memory" of what a normal skydive feels like.. a speed dive is not a normal skydive!!!!!

PLEASE use two audibles I always used a Protrack and a Dytter by L and B
in my helmet after learning the hard way that one audible in an open face helmet may not be heard on the first alarm... I heard the second alarm thinking it was the first.. then heard my third...aka.. HARD DECK.... I got big... really big and dumped and proceeded to blow up my Triathlon.. I deployed at a far to high a speed. That did real good job of ringing my brain bells.

Do not use Velcro.. use the protrack mounts and zip tie the protract in place.!!!!!!

Learn to look at the horizon not looking down... you will be faster if you do that.. DE-ARCH you are diving.. not tracking.

Talk with the pilot and the DZO................ you NEED to go out first and I would recommend your "spot" be right over the DZ and track off the line of flight ALWAYS.

You do not want to be going out after others or groups.. its jut too dangerous going that fast.

The judges... download the raw data from both protracks into Jump Track... it does all the work. IF it is more than 30 KPH difference between the downloaded data you are OUT OF BOUNDS

Amazon

PLEASE use two audibles I always used a Protrack and a Dytter by L and B

This ^.

You can't look at a wrist alti during a speed jump without either going unstable or losing a hell of a lot of speed. You absolutely need an audible, you need two audibles. I use an Optima and a Pro Dytter (which I find the most reliable).

For training, one Pro-Track in your helmet would do fine, that's the set up often used for qualification jumps anyway. It won't tell you if your out of bounds of course, but getting the speed wobbles will likely tell you that anyway. The older Jump Track software has speed skydiving functionality built in, the newer versions don't (unless L&B changed it again). I just use the replay function on my Viso to get an idea of how fast I'm going.

Speed skydiving is scary shit. Going unstable at 250+mph can pop your shoulders out so keep those arms clamped to your side till you slow down (you'll only make that mistake once), and pulling out of the dive into a track will pull more G's than anything else you can do in free-fall. It still gives me the heebie-jeebies busting 5k at full tilt. Pro-tracks can be a few feet out on altitude so to to get the best average you don't slow down till you're well past the bottom gates at ~5500ft. For training, I still tend to pull out at 5.5k or higher.

You can use ANY kind of audible in your helmet.. I recommend 2 of them..

So now I need 4 devices: 2 Pro-Tracks for my hips, and two for my helmet. That's about a $1,000 investment right there. Crap!

Do not use Velcro.. use the protrack mounts and zip tie the protract in place.!!!!!!

The problem I see with the zip ties is that you'll have to take them off all the time to hook the Pro-track up to the computer. In order to remove them, they have to be clipped off with something like wire cutters. And then you're risking nicking your harness webbing... Seems like 3" wide velcro would stay secure.

I would recommend your "spot" be right over the DZ and track off the line of flight ALWAYS.

Yep, I think the perpendicular to line of flight thing is a must for this. If you end up not perfectly vertical, either a little short of vertical, or a little past vertical, you end up tracking or back-tracking up or down the line of flight, which could put you underneath other jumpers.

The judges download the raw data from both protracks into Jump Track... it does all the work.

So this is a function already built into the Jump-track software? I'll have to look for that...

Woofie

So now I need 4 devices: 2 Pro-Tracks for my hips, and two for my helmet. That's about a $1,000 investment right there. Crap!

No, you need 2. A pro track and another audible, both in your helmet. For competition, the organisers supply two pro-tracks for your harness.

For qualification jumps, they use the 1 pro-track in your helmet, so you can use that for training as well, unless you're rich.

So this is a function already built into the Jump-track software? I'll have to look for that...

Not all Jump-Track software, L&B discontinued it in later versions.

The problem I see with the zip ties is that you'll have to take them off all the time to hook the Pro-track up to the computer. In order to remove them, they have to be clipped off with something like wire cutters. And then you're risking nicking your harness webbing... Seems like 3" wide velcro would stay secure.

Only the mounts are zip-tied to your rig.The protracks are clipped in those mounts and secured with a rubber ring

http://www.wingstore.aero/638-1163-thickbox/mount-for-protrack.jpg

Last week at the Austrian Nationals I saw the guy who made the third place using small pockets which were stitched to both sides of his rig.Also he was jumping with blue jeans and a tight long sleeve only.

Guy who made the second place was jumping with a latex suit - looks kind of a SM suit ;)

hoipex99

Only the mounts are zip-tied to your rig.The protracks are clipped in those mounts and secured with a rubber ring

Last week at the Austrian Nationals I saw the guy who made the third place using small pockets which were stitched to both sides of his rig.Also he was jumping with blue jeans and a tight long sleeve only.

Guy who made the second place was jumping with a latex suit - looks kind of a SM suit ;)

I will make no comment on that but I know who it is :):):D

CazmoDee

Just saw this on Facebook...

I am not sure but I believe that is Luigi Cani.. who holds a record that ISSA does not recognize.
I wonder how fast I could go wearing 40+KG of lead...:ph34r::ph34r:

There is a reason the rules stipulate the equipment and NO LEAD for the competitions.

I will be interested in seeing if he ever shows up for a competition to see how fast he can go while complying to the same standards other competitors have to meet.

JackC1

***So now I need 4 devices: 2 Pro-Tracks for my hips, and two for my helmet. That's about a $1,000 investment right there. Crap!

No, you need 2. A pro track and another audible, both in your helmet. For competition, the organisers supply two pro-tracks for your harness.

For qualification jumps, they use the 1 pro-track in your helmet, so you can use that for training as well, unless you're rich.

Well, as a minimalist you could get by with just the Pro-track in your helmet, for both recording and audible alarms.

But to be most serious about it and mimic competition conditions to best track your training, you need the one for each hip also.

hoipex99

Thanks for that. I think I've got a spare mount clip from an old Pro-track that I broke, and that along with a couple of packing bands ought to do the trick. I'm going to try out the hip location and see how that works.

It would be fun to get about five Pro-tracks and mount them all over your body; head, chest, hip, thigh and shoe, and look at the numbers from all of them for a single dive, so see what the differences are, if any. Anyone ever done that?

CazmoDee

Just saw this on Facebook...
Attachments: 10482498_682670991813264_2593182898980761872_n.jpg (70.5 KB)

That looks more spandex than the shiny latex.

I note the bare feet. I suppose the lack of a few extra inches of surface area from shoes might be worth a few more miles per hour. I think I'd still want something on my soles for landing. Some kind of thin slippers maybe.

Attached: latex photo. Gosh, even the RIG seems to made of latex!

And I think that's the largest D-ring handle I've ever seen.

Drat, I rotated the photo 90-degrees on my computer to get the orientation correct, but when uploaded here it reverted back to non-rotated. Oh well, you get the idea.

Woofie

Thanks for that. I think I've got a spare mount clip from an old Pro-track that I broke, and that along with a couple of packing bands ought to do the trick. I'm going to try out the hip location and see how that works.

It would be fun to get about five Pro-tracks and mount them all over your body; head, chest, hip, thigh and shoe, and look at the numbers from all of them for a single dive, so see what the differences are, if any. Anyone ever done that?

They have been mounted all over... we found there is less chance of "spoofing" them by placing them center mass.. You could REALLY get interesting readings on your feet and kicking them back and forth and getting the protrack into the transitional very fast tube of air that surrounds you... your feet will feel it as almost like kicking a wall when you are at speed an you start to oscillate.