landmissle

Retire near which DZ once you're an old phart?

It won't be that many years before my wife and I are ready to retire from our careers. Skydiving has been part of our lives for the last 14 years and we see no reason for that to stop once we retire in our late 50's. Actually, we expect it to increase!

Assuming you could move to any city in the US which would it be and more importantly, what drop zone would you be near? Tell us why you chose the city and the drop zone.

I understand this is all subjective and preference based, but it would be fun and insightful to hear your opinions.
Feet up, heads down, blue skies WWOD?

Landmissle

I had about that many years jumping when I retired. I had gotten married the year before to a jumper though. We live in So Cal. When I retired Hemet was still open and 20 minutes away. Perris, Elsinore, and Oceanside are all about 45 minutes away. Otay is less than 2 hours and Taft and Eloy are both a drivable distance. An incredible amount of jumping variety and lift capacity in a small area.
I live in the desert just south of Hemet on 20 acres so we have plenty of room for critters or toys. Skiing, Scuba, fishing, gambling, and the beach are all easy to get to.
Of course the downsides are taxes, cost of living, politics, and overcrowding but as things go I'd rather live here than most places.

No need to pick. Sounds to me a perfect time to become an RV gypsy and move with the seasons.

He said it perfectly

Wendy P.
(retired, and just finished with Lost Prairie -- BTW, you HAVE to do Lost Prairie)
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I've lived full-time on four different dropzones and I've lived very-close to many more. I can tell you with 100 percent certainty that I will fully retire in Zephyrhills, FL. I lived on the dropzone in my RV for four years and LOVED it. I was VERY SAD to leave that place, but I needed more work. I'll be 51 next month. When my body tells me it can't take my current 850 jumps a year instructional pace here in Arizona I am packing up shop and moving into one of those "over 55" trailer parks off of 6th Ave, just across the railroad tracks. Close enough to ride a bicycle to the dropzone or any of the bars in town, but not in an RV in the burning sun in the RV park on the DZ. Downtown Z-hills is quiet, shaded, and cheap to live in. There are plenty of places to eat, some EXCELLENT biker-type bars, and it's an easy drive to the beach.

Zephyrhills, FL for the win!

Chuck

SkymonkeyONE

I've lived full-time on four different dropzones and I've lived very-close to many more. I can tell you with 100 percent certainty that I will fully retire in Zephyrhills, FL. I lived on the dropzone in my RV for four years and LOVED it. I was VERY SAD to leave that place, but I needed more work. I'll be 51 next month. When my body tells me it can't take my current 850 jumps a year instructional pace here in Arizona I am packing up shop and moving into one of those "over 55" trailer parks off of 6th Ave, just across the railroad tracks. Close enough to ride a bicycle to the dropzone or any of the bars in town, but not in an RV in the burning son in the RV park on the DZ. Downtown Z-hills is quiet, shaded, and cheap to live in. There are plenty of places to eat, some EXCELLENT biker-type bars, and it's an easy drive to the beach.

Zephyrhills, FL for the win!

Chuck

yes what Chuck said and there are plenty of fossils there now to hang out with

they had me make this banner (pic attached) a couple weeks ago
B|
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

Central Florida gets my vote. You can use highway 60 to cross the state to access some of the best DZs in the US. Plus if you're heading out of town to a boogie, Orlando airport flies all over. And then there's all the other outdoor things to do in Florida and you'll have both coasts to choose from.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

I used to dream about a double wide with a k car on cinder blocks across the street from Carolina Sky Sports as my retirement plan till that selfish bastard decided he had enough.:)

Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

Yeah, I asked after you and nwflyer told me. Better health next year

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)