1 1
JoeWeber

Powerful speech by Biden on the assault on Democracy

2 hours ago, airdvr said:

I feel the need to balance the extreme left viewpoint here.

Two things here.

One is that I haven't seen too many extreme left viewpoints here.  The number of people who want to do away with capitalism or a demand-driven economy, for example, is very close to zero.

Two is that you can't balance an extreme left wing (or right wing) viewpoint by going to the other extreme.  That just leads to two incompatible viewpoints that can never converge.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kallend said:

So how do YOU feel about three separate courts in three separate fraud cases ruling  against Trump?  Just a viewpoint?

How do I feel?  Well, I'm familiar with the corporate veil that protects Trump from being personally liable without jumping through a lot more hoops.  If it's proven that he was aware or engineered it he should be charged and jailed.

(edited)
5 hours ago, kallend said:

Q.  What do the following have in common?

(a) Trump U.

(b) Trump Foundation

(c) The Trump Organization

A.  Apart from Trump, a court has found each of them engaged in fraud.

So how do you feel about that?  Fantasy of the extreme left?

How do I feel?  Well, I'm familiar with the corporate veil that protects Trump from being personally liable without jumping through a lot more hoops.  If it's proven that he was aware or engineered it he should be charged and jailed.

We all knew he might get around to answering. So for now voting for him and the policies of his party is all ok.

In the meantime his party will protect him. His voters will protect him. Those who he gave pardons to, i.e. the "capo bastone"   will protect him. After all a corporate veil shields him from responsibility. For republicans responsibility is for the other guy. For suckers, stooges, taxpayers.

Edited by Phil1111

"Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action."  Ian Fleming.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2022 at 12:46 PM, airdvr said:

If one wants to say that pharma is buying off the Rs the list shouldn't include Ds.

You seriously think that is ho it would work? If I were going to try and influence with money I would spend it on the main group (Rs) and then some of the fringe of the other group who could be convinced (Ds).

There are always those on the fringe of their party, like a Manchin or Sinema.

51 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

You seriously think that is ho it would work? If I were going to try and influence with money I would spend it on the main group (Rs) and then some of the fringe of the other group who could be convinced (Ds).

There are always those on the fringe of their party, like a Manchin or Sinema.

Most of the major players are big donators to BOTH sides.

While the money buys a certain amount of influence, what it mostly buys is access.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Access and influence are really synonyms here.

There have been attempts to rein in the drug industry on more than one occasion. Whenever it comes to a vote it is the R party who has been able to stop all or most of them. The exception being the Inflation Control Act which they tried hard to stop. I'm sure that the lobbyists do indeed spread the cash around to both parties but the proof of who is influenced is in the votes. 

• Like 1

On 11/4/2022 at 5:24 PM, airdvr said:

I'm saying I think it's odd behavior by someone who's house has been broken into. Obviously you don't.

Hi airdvr,

A little update to help in your understanding:  Police officer tells court he saw attack on Paul Pelosi happen | Express & Star (expressandstar.com)

Jerry Baumchen

6 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi airdvr,

A little update to help in your understanding:  Police officer tells court he saw attack on Paul Pelosi happen | Express & Star (expressandstar.com)

Jerry Baumchen

Yeah, there you go using facts again.

The simple reality is that they absolutely refuse to believe that their hateful rhetoric has ANYTHING to do with this, or any other attack.

They then have to create some sort of 'fairy tale' (pun not intended) that the Alt-Right attacker, who was fed all the lies and fantasies about Pelosi 'destroying' the country, instead was a 'gay prostitute'. 

They then deny that they are 'programmed'.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Glad they finally decided to release that.

Except they didn't need to. They never should have needed to. Everything you just saw, is exactly as described in the original statements.

I don't think you went down the rabbit hole on this one, but your "just asking questions" doubts give fuel to those who did.

• Like 4

Here's a nice list of the scumsuckers who promoted conspiracy theories.  All GOP or right wing - coincidence?

Maybe the folks who parroted on here will apologize, but I doubt it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/01/27/pelosi-footage-debunked-claims/

"They" actually did not decide to release it. A judge ordered it released because a news organization asked for it and was entitled to it. Score another win for the almighty First Amendment. The best amendment ever.

9 minutes ago, kallend said:

Here's a nice list of the scumsuckers who promoted conspiracy theories.  All GOP or right wing - coincidence?

Maybe the folks who parroted on here will apologize, but I doubt it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/01/27/pelosi-footage-debunked-claims/

And doubt it you should. But..... the victim opened his door in response to a few knocks from the cops and he was standing there in his undies with a hand on the perps hammer. Then the perp whacked him. Regardless of any other evidence, how does that happen? Were they struggling close to the front door and Paul requested a quick moment while he opened the door for the police? Kallend, you're a double first, put this one together.

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

And doubt it you should. But..... the victim opened his door in response to a few knocks from the cops and he was standing there in his undies with a hand on the perps hammer. Then the perp whacked him. Regardless of any other evidence, how does that happen?

?? Uh, the 42 year old violent extremist overpowered the unprepared 82 year old?  Do you really consider that confusing or odd?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, billvon said:

?? Uh, the 42 year old violent extremist overpowered the unprepared 82 year old?  Do you really consider that confusing or odd?

The confusing/odd bit is that the extremist said "OK, let's go answer the door and while I'm fix'n to bash your head in".  

I think it can be chalked up to nothing more than DePape not being the crunchiest cookie in the box, and Pelosi's keeping calm and keeping the guy engaged in conversation rather than being engaged in hammer-swinging.

It didn't make a whole lot of sense for DePape to agree to go open the door to see who was there, but it's not like the dude was on a sensible decision-making streak that evening.

8 hours ago, billvon said:

I find the video odd. Paul answered the door with one hand on the hammer and, at that moment, not fighting. Maybe the circumstances were such that such a thing makes sense but I think at that moment I'd be having both hands on the hammer and screaming bloody murder.

29 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

I find the video odd. Paul answered the door with one hand on the hammer and, at that moment, not fighting. Maybe the circumstances were such that such a thing makes sense but I think at that moment I'd be having both hands on the hammer and screaming bloody murder.

There is little about this crime that "makes sense". The attacker was a deranged man just not into being sensible. One possible interpretation is that Pelosi was having some success in talking to DePape, but then when the attacker realized he was about to be arrested without finding Nancy he just snapped and attacked.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

There is little about this crime that "makes sense". The attacker was a deranged man just not into being sensible. One possible interpretation is that Pelosi was having some success in talking to DePape, but then when the attacker realized he was about to be arrested without finding Nancy he just snapped and attacked.

That makes sense.

47 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Or maybe Pelosi knew that it was the cops and he had to open the door. Taking one hand off the hammer just long enough to reach the doorknob and let 'the calvary' in makes perfect sense to me.