2 2
JoeWeber

Patterns (split from Canopy collision - Ohio - Oct 22, 2022)

(edited)
15 hours ago, nwt said:

The newer platforms are worse, not better. It's unfortunate.

The correct EP would be to deploy the reserve without cutting away, no?

yes.  deploy the reserve, then do a canopy transfer. 

so, apparently i was wrong on this one, or someone was wrong on the other thread.  this is what the discussions are all about, clarification.  in my limited experience, i have always been taught not to cutaway below 1000ft, and i would have done so in this case, especially had someone split my canopy.  another canopy would have slowed the bundle and then all would of them would have had a softer landing.  soften it up enough and the roof would have held them, especially if they hit it flat and spread across a couple of rafters. 

now here i am discussing important crap in the wrong thread.

Edited by sfzombie13

(edited)
15 hours ago, OrphanBlue said:

Dinosaurs teach us more about extinction than anything else.

Indeed.

For without their efforts to tame the wild wild west that the pattern was in 2005 or so, a lot more skydivers would be extinct.

And yet the same stupid shit that they worked so hard to stop is still happening.

Why is that?

Edited by skybytch

1 hour ago, skybytch said:

Why is that?

Because until they're the ones giving chest compressions, tying off a tourniquet or holding a canopy to shade some poor broken fucker while waiting for the LifeFlight they will always operate under the credo "Anyone but me. It will happen to anyone but me." This shit isn't complicated. Myopic assholery, yes, but not complicated.

• Like 2

On 11/2/2022 at 9:02 AM, OrphanBlue said:

Because until they're the ones giving chest compressions, tying off a tourniquet or holding a canopy to shade some poor broken fucker while waiting for the LifeFlight they will always operate under the credo "Anyone but me. It will happen to anyone but me." This shit isn't complicated. Myopic assholery, yes, but not complicated.

Also consider that we grow a new generation of young skydivers every 2 or 3 years and every new generation needs to hear the same bloody lessons anew. It is also important to include a bit of history or theory to help the lecture sink in. Young jumpers need to hear that they are standing on the bloody shoulders of older skydivers who learned bloody lessons the hard way.

The old military, authoritarian approach no longer works with younger skydivers as they need to be motivated and they expect to have some of the "whys" explained.

• Like 2