Woofie

Motorcycle Helmets & AADs

kontiki

Having witnessed the effects of jumping without an AAD first hand I am a huge proponent for jumping with one. However, I do feel that people should be allowed to make their own decisions on the matter.

This. On both helmets and AADs
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Most people who don't use them are fooling themselves. One big difference is that a person who needs an AAD and doesn't have one is unlikely to generate as many medical bills as someone who needs a motorcycle helmet and didn't have one

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

Most people who don't use them are fooling themselves. One big difference is that a person who needs an AAD and doesn't have one is unlikely to generate as many medical bills as someone who needs a motorcycle helmet and didn't have one

Wendy P.

+1

We had a double fatality motorcycle accident here in Louisville just last year. Couple on a touring bike behind a semi on I-65 bridge southbound into town from Indiana. Semi in front of them blew a tire and started shedding rubber onto the road.
They hit the shredded tire, both went over the handle bars. Wife died instantly from head trauma. Husband a few days later.
In all likelihood helmets would have easily saved them, as they werent traveling that fast due to heavy traffic on the bridge.

I dont mind it though. Darwin's law cleaning out the gene pool. :D

Motorbike helmet should be your own choice as the only person thats going to suffer from it is yourself there is no potential to hurt others......jumping without aad has potentional to kill others damage property etc.. it would be unlikely but if u get knocked out or killed...and your over the dz or anyone etc u become a missile that will destroy anything it hits
FTMC

I don't smoke. Smoking is stupid.
I don't jump without an AAD
I don't jump without a helmet
I don't jump without a reserve.
I wouldn't ride a motorcycle without a helmet.

BUT...

I view it as societally and philosophically dangerous to tell adults too much about what they can and cannot do. I think adulthood is largely a license to be stupid. So go ahead and do what you want. I do view it as ok if the DZO requires some things. That is the DZO's prerogative. I'm one of the old guys who tells the young guys I think they are about to be stupid. Then they do what they want.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Btw I voted that neither should be required. I'm not against people doing stuff I think is stupid per se. But it pisses me off if my taxes/insurance then go up because of those choices. But my being pissed off isn't exactly the end of the world.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I went 38 years without an AAD and probably still wouldn't have one if Captian Mom hadn't gifted me a Vigil... That said I'm happy to have it and do use it. I wouldn't be afraid to jump without it.

I have 3 different motorcycle helmets... I usually wear one but not always, I like having the choice.

I don't like mandatory requirements on choices... It's indeed safer to utilize these things and smarter people do without being legislated into it. But the choice should be up to the individual.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I vote not to require for both; HOWEVER, there are certain caveats.

DZO can decide if he lets no-AAD jumpers jump. Remember, someone dying or getting injured doesn't just affect that person, but the DZ jumpers, staff, owner, etc.

Split the insurance pools. Those who wear/use some minimum level of gear/protective equipment/safety devices and those who don't. Costs would adjust accordingly. No dragging everyone who chooses to be safer down. I'm not sure what the legal ramifications are, but I'm not sure why this isn't already done. Coverage dependent upon compliance. If you sign up with a company that says you'll wear a moto helmet every time you're on a bike and you wreck without one on, then they don't have to cover anything (breach of contract).

I'm all for the freedom to make your own stupid choices, but the argument that only the person making the choice is affected is thin at best. At least take the responsibility and admit that you are making a choice that is worth the potential consequence to you AND those that care about you.