traceomac

Skydiving in OZ

Hey,

Just received my 1 year working visa for Australia and plan to spend it jumping and working (hopefully at a DZ)
I'm wondering what would be the best dropzones in oz and why..? (price, number of jumps, location...)

I'm a fairly new skydiver with 48 jumps so far if that helps any!!!

Thanks guys n gals!!!

York (outside Perth) is often looking for people.

You can probably get work in the kitchen. To pack anywhere in Oz you will need to get your packer B details on the APF website.

Skydive Jurien Bay is really good but don't know about employment.

At 48 jumps you are going to be very restricted on jumps until you get your B license. Almost certainly you will need to do b rels with a coach - if you come to Perth I am happy to do b rels at York for free (just cover your slot) and can help with your packer B.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

What do you normally do for work? There are some very good job opportunities in Australia.

I came to OZ 4 years ago and spent the 1st year travelling around the country, working construction and going to almost every boogie that happened that year. Visited many amazing drop zones and had a blast!

As Nigel said the 2 main dzs in western Australia that operate 7 days are York and jurien bay.

QLDS check out Ramblers and Skydive cairns in innifsail.

NSW Sydney skydivers in picton used to be awesome but i haven't been there for a couple years. Elderslie is also an awesome club dz but only operates on w/e

VIC you have skydive Nagambie

Where in Australia do you want to go and what do you want to do while you are here is the better question.
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

Did the same, went over there with about 110 jumps though. Did my packer B and packed tandems, student rigs and sport rigs. Hard work, but pretty good money. And it's just really fun living at a dz. Try out different dzs, i loved Nagambie in Victoria!

Thanks guys!

I usually work doing Oilfield work and mineral exploration work but I don't really want to do that this winter... I would rather just go down and get a regular job in town (Tired of freezing my ass off)... I do a fair amount of plumbing and construction so I might try and get a job doing that if I cant find a job at a DZ.

I have a fair chunk of change saved up so getting my B licence and packing licence is definitely in the cards...
Will definitely be doing a S#%T load of jumps before I worry about work... lol

What are jump tickets usually in australia?
Also, would i be better to buy a used rig in canada or wait until I get there? anyone know if there is much of a price difference in used gear?

Jump tickets range from ~$40-45

Buy 2 used rigs in Canada and sell one of them once you get here.

Everything costs more here.

Seriously, if you work construction, those jobs pay very well here and its bloody easy to find work.

I moved from canada about 4 years ago, bought a car and spent a year driving around the country jumping.
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)