Hollywood5581

Do any Drop Zones state side offer C-130 jumps?

demoknite

It's not all that great. End up spending a $100ish bucks to not be able to hear your fellow jumpers and ride the hill for two seconds then it's like any other skydive. Jump a skyvan.

I agree. I've jumped a bunch of aircraft and a Skyvan is the most fun.

I have 30 or more military jumps from a C-130...not skydives. When I was in the 82nd Airborne, early '60s, none of the three skydiving clubs at Bragg where jumping 119, 123 or 130 aircraft for skydiving. Matter of fact, I don't think they ever did. WAY too expensive...
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

It's not all that great. End up spending a $100ish bucks to not be able to hear your fellow jumpers and ride the hill for two seconds then it's like any other skydive. Jump a skyvan.

Quite right.

Tailgates are great fun, but at least a Skyvan or Casa are pretty easy to find in regular use.

More rare are the Sherpa and turbine Caribou, both of which I've jumped several times. B|

[inline Caribou.jpg]
[inline Caribou_exhaust.jpg]
[inline C23_sherpa.jpg]
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

far to expennsive to use for normal skydiving unless you are making some few hundred way record, having been on a military jump team i have jumped c-130's and a c-17, and it is a good bit of fun for just thrill wise and a check off list, but it is no big difference from a skyvan, just a tad more kick.

Hollywood5581

I was just curious if there is any place that has a C-130 to jump out of? Short of joining the military lol. Thanks all, Blue Skies!

Not that I know of, though I haven't looked too hard as I like my shoulders way too much to jump one unless I'm getting big dollars to do it. B|
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Hercs are OK but not all that special (and who pays over 100 bucks to jump one - it was about £20 at the last Herc boogie way back when).

However the nicest tailgates are either something like the MI-8 helicopter or the AN-72 Jet (nearly as big as the Herc, but much cleaner air on exit).

Paul

Since the thread drifted a bit about juming different airplanes and how pleasant it can be, here is the list of airplanes I have jumped from. I have 11 jumps from a Hercules. Despite that the heigth and width of the door do not allow jumpers to have a grip on it, I can say the Hercules allowed us to do superb linked exits even though is was at 155 mph. That was in 1986 in Quincy Ill, at the Freak Brothers convention organized by Roger Nelson. The Hercules (Safie from South Africa...) has flown from South Africa with about 30 South Africaner jumpers aboard. They stopped at Abidjan, (Ivory Coast) before crossing the Atlantic ocean. Left a spare engine in Boston and some other spare parts just in case. That aircraft was almost new. I had the chance to visit the cockpit which was the most beautiful one I have ever seen. Wide seats for pilots, roomy. When I asked them which system they were navigating with, they told me the list of different systems and better yet a pilot went and opened a little closet to remove a sextant which he positioned vertically on a special adaptor on the roof of the cockpit. He told me that once in a while they use it, even overnight using the stars, and that the precision was about one or two miles. (no GPS at the time).
My only regret is that I could have asked them to bring me back (me and my car...piece of cake for a Hercules) in Canada since they were going to a international conference at Quebec City after the boogie. Great memories.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

this was the only one i was ever aware of. when i tried to sign up i was given another phone number where an air force officer answered. i explained that i was trying to sign up for the c-130 jumps; he explained that he was the JAG and he was in charge of prosecuting the pilot who was trying to misuse government aircraft. it was an uncomfortable phone call.
Truth is the distilled meaning of facts, for any truth refuted by a fact becomes a fallacy.

JamMasterJay

this was the only one i was ever aware of. when i tried to sign up i was given another phone number where an air force officer answered. i explained that i was trying to sign up for the c-130 jumps; he explained that he was the JAG and he was in charge of prosecuting the pilot who was trying to misuse government aircraft. it was an uncomfortable phone call.

Almost went to that. 16 hours of driving, having to get my haircut as they required a dress code didn't phase me. It was the impending snowstorm that weekend that made me bail. :(. Didn't even care about the non refundable (think it was less than $50) deposit. Rumor is, someone else did, and contacted JAG. >:(

Think they got two jumps, both hop n pops. Apparently they left the plane running while people packed too.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Opie

http://www.globalplanesearch.com/listing/aircraft-for-sale/Lockheed-AC-130/290

Have a spare $2.7 mil laying around? Affordable cargo monster for sale!

-

If I had the money laying around, I buy it just to circle to altitude over Kim Gibbs house.>:(
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.