cgriff

Mandatory AAD's (was: Franklin County fatality)

gregpso

At the DZ I jumped at (Skydive Nagambie in Australia .. a good dropzone) AADs were compulsory. Might be time everyone followed that. A reserve is compulsory so should an AAD. I remember at ist jump course at bridgewater we were told an Australian champion was saved by AAD. Seems she could not find her reserve handle after cutaway. if that sort of thing can happen to such an experienced jumper it can happened to anyone.

obviously the swoopers need a special aad. Compulsory AAds and RSLs would save many lives every year.

However you good folk in the USA have a fear about the government telling you what you must do.. but thats a different story. I love the USA and its people by the way.. visit often. but you have a different mindset over there.

That doesn't sound like government usurping a power they don't legitimately possess to me... You said the DZ requires them. That sounds like perfect evidence that people are able to manage things on their own without the government. And on that note, I'm with you. We should make them mandatory...

If you think wearing an AAD guarantees your survival, you need to think again. Its a good back up device, but making them mandatory does not mean people can survive every time they have a problem.

Wearing an AAD may help save your life, but that is as far as it goes.

No device can replace proper decision making and correct EP procedures. If you have one, you should embark on every jump prepared to carry out EP's as if it isn't there.

Never forget that.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

obelixtim

If you think wearing an AAD guarantees your survival, you need to think again. Its a good back up device, but making them mandatory does not mean people can survive every time they have a problem.

Wearing an AAD may help save your life, but that is as far as it goes.

No device can replace proper decision making and correct EP procedures. If you have one, you should embark on every jump prepared to carry out EP's as if it isn't there.

Never forget that.

^What he said^
Rainbo
TheSpeedTriple - Speed is everything
"Blessed are those who can give without remembering, and take without forgetting."

stayhigh

Ya, but the government does not enforce us to have a airbag.

They require manufacturer to install em, but once you use the airbag in an accident, then it is up to the driver to install another airbag.

Strawman.
How high are we going? Oh about 9000. Oh Mr. Pilot! How high are we going? Oh about 12000! That's the ticket!

Same argument for helmets and seat belts. They don't guarantee to save your life but they do greatly increase the odds.

Never said they didn't, that wasn't my point.

Edited to add: Prolly would have done the job in this case.

* Messed up the quote in my previous post.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

In Virginia it is a required part of the manditory annual inspection that the airbag (if originally installed) be present and operational. If not, it it illegal to operate that vehicle.

Got that straight from the officer in charge of the state inspection program when I was trying to get a car passed that originally had one. Despite the fact that the car's airbag had been an option that year and the manufacturer had discontinued the parts needed to fix it. (a waiver can be obtained IFF I could get a letter from GM guarenteeing that the removal would not decrease the safety of the vehicle... yea... right...)

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

BillyMongilly

Same argument for helmets and seat belts. They don't guarantee to save your life but they do greatly increase the odds.

cost of a helmet or cost of seatbelt as percentage of vehicle cost, is far less than cost of aad vs rig (expecially used rig).
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone