sammymalta

Smallest DropZone

Hi guys.... the minimum drop zone area as specified by the BPA is 500 meters in diameter.. Does anyone know of the smallest dropzone area?

That is incorrect, the BPA Op's Manual defines a dropping zone (DZ) as:

1.2. Dropping Zone (DZ)
A DZ is a notified portion of airspace within which parachute descents are made. The
normal radius is 1.5 nautical miles and up to the altitude notified.

A Parachute Landing Are on the other hand is:

3. PARACHUTE LANDING AREAS
3.1. PLAs to be used by all designations of parachutists should provide a large open space
of reasonably level ground, which can contain a circle of 500 metres diameter free
from Major Hazards, and largely free from Minor Hazards. These PLAs should be
bordered on at least three sides by suitable overshoot areas.
3.2. PLAs which do not comply with the above, may require restrictions on operational
procedure and/or may not be suitable for all designations of parachutists. These
PLAs will need the approval of the Safety and Training Committee (STC) of the
BPA. This does not apply to display PLAs (see Section 13 - Display Parachuting).

In the UK most centres have PLA's well in excess of 500m, I believe that the new parachute centre being set up at Barton Stacey in Hampshire (West London Skydiving) will probably have the smallest PLA, although Guernsey is also pretty small.

On the subject of Guernsey, it only opens for 2 or three days per year, does that make it the most exclusive parachute centre in the world?
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

In Finland the area size for student training is defined as:

Hyppypaikan suositeltu esteetön vähimmäiskoko on vallitsevan maatuulen suunnassa 300 metriä ja tuuleen poikittain nähden 150 metriä.

Translation: The recommened object free minimum size for the dropzone in the direction of the prevalent ground wind is 300 meters and 150 meters perpendicularry.

For tandems the definition is the same except the distances are 100 meters and 25 meters respectfully.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

When you land off the DZ All those rules go out the window. There is no minimum.

Ever try and land acanopy in someones backyard, a two lane road,

Get ready because it can happen to anyone. The only DZ I've been to that actually gives a go around on occasion was at Z-hills.

The spot wouln't have been bad except for the 2 way head downers spotting (first out) and taking way to long to exit.>:(

R.

Hi.. does this mean that in Finland a dropzone for tandem can be just 100m?

Yes that is the minimum size defined by the regulations. Although as far as I know all places have at least 300 meters since most places that do tandems do normal student training also, which requires 300 meters.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

reply]

The spot wouln't have been bad except for the 2 way head downers spotting (first out) and taking way to long to exit.>:(

/reply]

So, you didn't check the spot before you jumped?

Hi Speedy

I wasn't the LO and he made the decision not to ask for a go around. We took what we got.

I'm sure you know when your doing RW not everyone gets to check the spot before they exit.;)

Cliff notes: formation load experienced lady jumper is last out of lead plane gets hit by the prop of the trail plane. DZO tries to blame the lady for not taking the time to make sure the trail plane wasn't out of position.:S

Chow.

R.

Krip

The only DZ I've been to that actually gives a go around on occasion was at Z-hills.

Uh? Say what?
I've been to several DZs (not many, I admit, but almost every DZ in New England and a couple outside of it) and I've never been refused a go around when asked to. Even though I am relatively low experienced and relatively low jump number, nobody ever made me feel bad about asking a go around. Doing only RW I am often in the first group leaving the plane and if I am spotting for my group, sure as hell I am spotting.
If I can't see the spot or I don't like the one I see, my group is not leaving the plane, easy as that.
A couple of times, people later asked me why I didn't leave or had the plane do a go-around, but it was more out of curiosity than blame. "Because we were completely off" - "Fair enough, good job". Yeah, people get impatient, some my start yelling you to go, but it's more because they think that you did not see the green light, when I yell back "I can't see fucking shit, but you're welcome to leave before us", they generally stop. :ph34r:
It's not the responsibility of the LO to check the spot for every group, as far as I know.
Theoretically every jumper should check the spot, now when you leave in a medium to big way it's impossible to check for the divers, but I expect the people in my group to check. And people actually do it, also because nobody really likes to land off in New England.
I have 250 some jumps, not many ok, I landed off only twice and in both case it was totally my fault/mistake and not a bad spot. But I've seen many go arounds. So if people are too lazy to check their spot, they shouldn't blame the DZ or the pilot that occasionally will make a mistake and he's relying on the jumpers to double-check with their eyes to help each other.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

CSPA's minimum DZ size requirements are close to BPA's (I did not look up the exact numbers).
Last year a Canadian DZ asked for a waiver because construction was "squeezing" their DZ. Specifically, their landing field was getting narrower. Since they jump I n a mountain valley, winds only blow along the (single) runway. Since their narrow DZ is parallel to the runway, they would only land along the "long" axis of the narrow. CSPA's Technical Committee granted them a 1-year waiver.

The smaller, the more outlandings. Thats all.

But I have seen temporary DZ's, where it was basically the parking area in front of the hangar, no students though.

Think if you ask the base-ers, you will get something like 3 sqaure feet, in between the rock, the electric wire, and the car.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.