2 2
Phil1111

Midterms

2 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

IMO it was the killing of Roe v Wade that prevented the so-called Red Wave.  There is a point where even a Republican woman is fed up.

Think the RNC will have a meeting to develop a distancing from Trump strategy?

4 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Think the RNC will have a meeting to develop a distancing from Trump strategy?

Hi Keith,

While reading this morning's newspaper, there was an article by Jennifer Rubin of WaPo with the headline:  Trump's Decline Offers Reason for Biden to Bow Out.

I do not subscribe to WaPo so I cannot add a link to the article; although, the headline seems to say it all.

Re:  Think the RNC will have a meeting to develop a distancing from Trump strategy?

If they don't they may go the way of the dinosaurs.  I am hopeful.

With two-faced, no ethics Kevin McCarthy as Speaker, I am not so hopeful.

When I joined the Republican Party in the late 60's, they did not care about abortions, they did care about non-balanced budgets, they did not care about what consenting adults did in their bedrooms, etc, etc.  They were a party of small gov't.

That is not the Republican Party, as we know it today.

What tipped the scales for me to switch parties was LBJ's Great Society; everything for everyone.  But, no way to pay for it.

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, headoverheels said:

They aren't pulling the trigger yet, but they are getting into position to do so.  Even Fox "News" is maneuvering to do so:

Trump will not willingly bow out unless he is sure that he can not win the R nomination. And he still has enough support among the primary voting fanatics that he has a good chance of winning it. This is the point where the party will have to pay the price for the deal it made with the devil.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Don't be too sure Boebert is gone. The NY Times is still saying she will most likely win based on the areas where votes are still to be counted. This is at 13:20 CST Wednesday. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/11/08/us/elections/results-colorado-us-house-district-3.html

Latest I've seen is CO's 9News projecting a Frisch win. Current tally has him at 73 votes ahead of Boebert.

Edited by ryoder

8 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Today on the New York Post (owned by Rupert Murdoch):

ny-post.png

The party establishment and the right wing of the MSM did not want Trump last time around either. But no one else could beat him in the primaries because the poorly educated do want him. De Santis will also not be able to beat him if it comes to it.

2 minutes ago, ryoder said:

I predict ketchup all over the walls of Mar-A-Lago when Donnie sees this!

Fox News: Ron DeSantis is the new Republican Party leader Republicans are ready to move on without Donald Trump

The grass roots of the party are not loyal to Murdoch. Or De Santis. Or Mitch. Or Pence. They are loyal to their loud mouth hero. It's all very well and fine to call him yesterday's man, but who can beat him in the party? 

5 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

The grass roots of the party are not loyal to Murdoch. Or De Santis. Or Mitch. Or Pence. They are loyal to their loud mouth hero. It's all very well and fine to call him yesterday's man, but who can beat him in the party? 

How far would Trump have gone without the loyal GOP propaganda arm: Fox News?

7 minutes ago, ryoder said:

How far would Trump have gone without the loyal GOP propaganda arm: Fox News?

They were against him in the beginning. Ted Cruz, and Jeb Bush and even John Kasich were the favourites. FOX only came on board when Trump became inevitable. And they will do the same thing again. If Trump wants it and fights for it he will get it. And then he will lose the general again. He nearly lost to Hilary and she was hated.

Edited by gowlerk

12 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

When I joined the Republican Party in the late 60's, they did not care about abortions, they did care about non-balanced budgets, they did not care about what consenting adults did in their bedrooms, etc, etc.  They were a party of small gov't.

That is not the Republican Party, as we know it today.

And on that note, I found the following. Republican Party Platform of 1960

As we emerge out of the midterms, we now have the presidency on the horizon. IMO, a Biden/Trump ticket would mean we as a country have failed to provide the US a leadership path for the next ten years. A Biden/Trump ticket would mean (to me) that we would not be voting for what's right, but what's left. 

We as a nation can do better than these two. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BIGUN said:

Apparently not. Still, in the big scheme of things, considering the absurd impediments Trump and his lackeys gifted Biden at the start of his Presidency and the huge geopolitical challenges- not the least of which were a weakened NATO and the Ukraine war- he's done fairly well. In fact, I think it's unfair to twin the two implying they are equally bad. They are not and it's not even close.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BIGUN said:

A Biden/Trump ticket would mean (to me) that we would not be voting for what's right, but what's left. 

You almost did. Hilary would have been a good leader. But so many of you were convinced that she is an evil harridan. So many people vote with their gut and fail to engage the brain. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Keith,

While reading this morning's newspaper, there was an article by Jennifer Rubin of WaPo with the headline:  Trump's Decline Offers Reason for Biden to Bow Out.

I do not subscribe to WaPo so I cannot add a link to the article; although, the headline seems to say it all.

Re:  Think the RNC will have a meeting to develop a distancing from Trump strategy?

If they don't they may go the way of the dinosaurs.  I am hopeful.

With two-faced, no ethics Kevin McCarthy as Speaker, I am not so hopeful.

Jerry Baumchen

Just wondering, do you feel the same about Nancy?

I'm not a Trump, Biden, Kamala, Pence, Nancy, Kevin, or Chuck fan. IMO If Trump runs that's a big problem. If Biden and Trump run it forces people to choose between two bad options. There are good people in both parties that could run if Trump & Biden got out of the way. 

Politics has gotten so nasty. It seems that bipartisanship rarely occurs. Without that everything gets polarized. Maybe I'm dreaming but it seems that there are plenty of people like me that are more middle off the road. People that want compromise and for things to get done for the good of the country.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, billeisele said:

There are good people in both parties that could run if Trump & Biden got out of the way. 

What utter BS. Both those men are where they are because no one else was able to beat them. Winners don't "get out of the way". They get pushed out of the way by stronger candidates. America has the leaders it deserves. America does not have to be polarized, it has chosen to be polarized.

Edited by gowlerk
  • Like 1