3 3
riggerrob

Minimum docking altitude?

(edited)

For me personally, it depends.

How many other people are in the air, what are we doing, how current am I etc.
After a sequential jump I have had no problem with accepting a center dock at, say, 2K or 1500 if we're doing 2-way.
I've also been known to be part of a "post-stack" which is complete at the altitude previously indicated, but flown down to 100 ft or so. I do that only with people I really know and trust.

Offset docks, that ends at 3-3.5K if we're doing 2-way and isn't happening at all after a larger sequential jump.

I don't coach people for their first canopy formation jumps (I'll leave that to @IJskonijn) , but I'd like to submit that the minimum docking altitude would also greatly depend on what gear everyone is on. For the purpose of this discussion I regard bumping endcells as "docking" where newbies are involved.

The most important thing to know is, cross your legs once you reach the minimum altitude you're comfortable with and people know to stay away.

Edited by Baksteen
  • Like 3

(edited)

For the first-time CRW coaching jumps (always 1-on-1, occasionally with an experienced CRW camera flyer behind us), I use a hard-deck of 3000ft for accepting docks, and 2000ft lowest break-up altitude. This is with Lightnings, I flat-out refuse to do CRW coaching without using proper equipment. If my student is heads-up, flies nicely controlled and predictable, and feels up to it, I might fly a 2-plane down into the landing pattern by the time we reach jump 5.

Of course, with more experience & trust among the jumpers involved, these minimum altitudes become more fluid. Especially with @Baksteen we've routinely flown a plane down to near flare-height. And because we know each other and each other's skill well, I will happily accept a dock below 2000ft from him.

But by the time we reach pattern altitude ~1000ft, I'll keep what plane we have but not accept anything new.

Edited by IJskonijn
typo

For first CRW jumps that we coach, we have a hard deck on docks of 3k. We want to give plenty of time to practice flare and get a feel for landing the Lightening.

As they progress, it can be variable based on skill, comfort, type of dock, decision altitude and scenario as discussed above.