rogerpidactor

Return student aff after broken arm but....

Broken distal radius and dislocated ulna after a (now that I have had three months to dwell) totally bone head high flare and stall on landing aff d1. Finally got cleared Monday to return and schedule a retrain and jump for today. Nerves where on a different level of jittery. Mild diarrhea kind of nerves. Finally made a decision to do it. Manifested, got the rig on, went over the flow for a modified lesser d1 my guy called aff x, just to get back on the horse. Winds 12 and gusting a little. Uppers kicking it. Boarded while shaking in my boots. Hop and pop guy on load says check out the wind sock and it was moving back and forth probably 70 degrees and inflated straight out. Taxied the Cessna to the runway and pilot hits the gas for about 5 seconds and AFFI says shut it down. Aborted take off right then and there. Says to the pilot I'm not putting a student out in this take us back. Now my mind is just overloaded thinking about it. Anyone else experience serious ass nerves returning from an injury? Any advice?

I'd say you've got a pretty heads-up Instructor who's not afraid of making a safety call. Sounds like you're in good hands. Anticipatory anxiety is to be expected after an injury. When Doc came back to make a jump after the plane crash and broken back; she was literally shaking the whole ride up. When she came down off her skydive; she shucked her rig with a big smile and manifested again. There's only one way to overcome that fear - face it and take charge of it.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Sounds like a great call from your instructor. B|

Have you told him about the additional nerves? That's not a bad idea. He might give you a bit of extra support and put you out in ideal conditions for your first jump.

That said, eventually you just have to get over it by jumping. ;)

I had a PC in tow during my student progression. Scared the hell out of me. It was probably worse because it was my fault. I wasn't sure I could get back on the plane but knew I needed to. I grabbed a rig and manifested and went up but there was a IAD student on the load so we went on our IAD jump run before going up to altitude for my jump and she got her feet out the door and decided she couldn't do it so we had to come back down. After my reserve ride and an aborted jump with a plane ride down I was ready to call it a day. I decided to go ahead and go back up and I'm glad I did. If I had CHOSEN to walk away I'm not sure I would have come back.

In your case you manifested and couldn't jump because of weather so it's not your choice but nerves are going to be normal getting back in the air. You just have to do it. The longer you go without going back up the less likely you will.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

rogerpidactor

Anyone else experience serious ass nerves returning from an injury? Any advice?

Pretty tough thing to return from. I've had this sport beat me up a few times.

One of the best things for nerves is positive visualization. Keep running a video preview of your next jump over and over in your head. Watch everything proceed perfectly and smoothly, from exit to soft landing. Try to imagine the wind, muscle movements, noises, etc. as vividly as possible. Keep the positive images in your head and use them to block the negative images.

JohnMitchell

*** Anyone else experience serious ass nerves returning from an injury? Any advice?

Pretty tough thing to return from. I've had this sport beat me up a few times.

One of the best things for nerves is positive visualization. Keep running a video preview of your next jump over and over in your head. Watch everything proceed perfectly and smoothly, from exit to soft landing. Try to imagine the wind, muscle movements, noises, etc. as vividly as possible. Keep the positive images in your head and use them to block the negative images.

this is exellent advice, even years down the road, sit in a quite place and visualize your up coming jump like a video and evey thing going perfectly, great training tool!
Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward

you have a great instructor :)
nice to see safety trump $$

I broke my leg doing a low turn *(tib/fib) on jump 13 - took the year off then returned and it still took me a solid month of going to the dz and watching everyone every day they were open till I felt like I was ready to give it a go. the case of the nerves was crazy as hell even mentally going through the exit/dive out.

almost walked away but I never leave something on a bad note so I decided to make one more jump and then if I quit it would be because I didn't want to do it anymore rather than because I was scared.

first jump I was about shaking the c-182 apart with my shakes :ph34r: but once out they went away and upon landing I knew without a doubt I would be continuing :)hah, everyone knew I was back as once I landed I screamed out "I'M BAAACK"!!!

go sit at the dz and watch - soak up the vibes and decide if you really want to jump again- hell, pack and earn money while you decide :)

Roy

They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

What the others said. Spend a little more time at the DZ. Book your jump when you feel right, and when the weather is better.

Face the fear.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.