Xitesmai

Dropzone Social Dynamics?

Generally speaking, I find very despicable when people try to involve students in DZ drama and arguments. Seriously, I hate that.
For a bunch of good reasons, first because nobody really cares about your drama, really: it's not as important as you think it is.
But more important, when different groups are involved and maybe instructors are divided, you are going to force the student to take parts, whether you're doing it consciously or not. That sucks, because a student will have to jump with several instructors and don't get much of a choice, but by playing that game you'll weaken the trusting bond that you need, either on one side or the other, you'll create awkward situations.

As an experienced jumper, it's different because you can choose who to jump with and who to like, but students should not be dragged into these petty things because they'll have to work with everybody at some point.

And even as an experience jumper, I found DZ clashes of egos extremely boring. So as long as people don't do anything wrong to me (and it hasn't happened yet), I want to stay away from these things. You have nothing to gain from these things, unless you dig these dramas and you want to be part of it (again, depends on personalities, some people love drama and simply can't stay away from it).
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

Look for the biggest guy, spill his beer, then beat the crap out of him in front of everyone in the bar.

You will be famous, and everyone will be your "friend".

Once off student status, ask around who wants to do a jump with you. Soon you'll have plenty of friends, and probably not just at the DZ.;)

You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

Advice on fitting in:
Do not try.
Focus on the next jump you make.
Go completely banzai about it but do it intelligently. Focus on bringing rational judgement to everything you do.

The friends and place you fit into the community will come to you.
I got the name Lurch because when I first started jumping I was a leftover Goth kid before they called 'em goth kids. I specialized in looking as dangerous as possible from long experience in nasty places with psycho violent people among whom the only way to be left alone was to make it quite clear you can and will take em apart with your bare hands given the slightest provocation- Dressed in black, reclusive, scary as hell. The idea of a social scene and community in which I could let down my guard was completely alien to me.

I fit in like a crow at an exotic bird convention.
My first several years, I had a very hard time connecting with anyone. Yet everyone treated me well. But I'd go back to my car alone at the end of every jumping day and just sit there with a beer feeling lonely as fuck and very much the outsider.

I didn't let that discourage me- I was here for the flying, pure and simple. Inside of 18 months I got ahold of a wingsuit when wingsuits were just getting started, and dedicated myself to just flying it.

Eventually went to Zhills where I found myself a little fish in a big pond in the emerging discipline of wingsuits. The ranking flyers of the time welcomed me and I started to earn respect and fit in without really noticing it- too busy flying. Made my share of mistakes, owned em, learned, moved on.

I had no idea how much of an impression all this made at my home DZ let alone the global community.

Bit by bit I noticed that not only didn't I feel like an outsider much anymore but I had connected with people across all cliques and disciplines. As I gained ability and rank in the wingsuit community it sort of spilled over to my relations with jumpers in general and I found myself connecting with all sorts of people. And loving it.

Eventually worked my way up to the heavy suits, made a few of my own, specializing in freefall time, performance flying- everyone's got their own take on what kind of flying they like, mine is extreme performance... distance, duration.

Mastered flocking, became in demand for big wingsuit events. Started getting invited to far more events than I could possibly attend, hit as many as I could, built connections and made friends all over the world.

Last few years have been all about competing- First game, scored in the middle. Upped my game, took a bronze. Upped my suit AND game, ended up taking home a chain of first place wins and then a bucket full of various podium spots, silver, bronze, more gold, whatever. I was and am in it for the fun, challenge, glory, adventure, and friends.

I'm about ready to retire from comps, mission accomplished ten times over, but I still got one more game left in me so I'll be swinging by Elsinore again this fall. I owe Spot a hug and I can't WAIT to hang and party with the Irish boys again. Some of the most fun people I have ever met.

Now I fit in everywhere I go. They keep a spot open for me just in case I drop in. They took care of me when I stopped by the UK this spring. They took care of me in Germany, they took care of me in Hungary, the Philippines, Cali, Florida, Maine... I've got friends at dropzones around the world, from other champions to rank noobs. I don't care what your rank in the skydiving hierarchy, you're either quality people or you're not. I don't have time for the nots because I'm so busy flying and partying with the quality people. Many of them aren't even wingsuit flyers let alone "part of my clique"- has nothing to do with it. We're in the sky, aren't we?

I've got a long-established territorial spot on the lawn at Elsinore just to the left of the front walk where I throw down my portable nest every time I'm in the neighborhood- I drop in once or twice a year. Wingsuit records, comps, whatever. There are friends there.

Same goes for Zhills except I'm still experimenting with the best spot for a tent there.

This season when I ran out of resources to continue competing I was moved almost to tears when my home DZ crew threw a series of fundraisers to help finance my ongoing competition career. They SENT me back to Hungary for a 3rd year at the Marko Mike's game. I had no idea people could be this incredibly awesome. Somehow I never noticed when exactly I became the hometown champion and international representative of my home DZ and the US depending on who is attending whatever comp I've been at lately.
I try not to let all this go to my head- it isn't hard, I just remember I came for the flying and friends and let the social stuff work itself out.

Just keep jumping and doing your best to be a good person and your place in the social scene will work itself out. Have faith in the future cause if you keep jumping you're gonna get there sooner or later anyway.

Fly. Fly with all your heart and let the chips fall where they may. The people you fit in with, will come and find you. Count on it.
When they do, take care of them. They're the best people reality will ever gift you with.
It's up to you.
If you let the small scale stuff spoil it for you, you'll be forever stuck on the small stuff.
Let go, and everything you ever wanted will fall into your lap unasked-for. Next thing you know you'll have people you can call real friends, everywhere you go.
I owe this community everything. I do my damndest to give it back as much as I can. Teach the new birds, fly with everyone...
Gotta go. They're expecting me up in Maine right now. Tiki Bar burning. Haven't missed a Tiki in 13 years and I don't plan to start now. I don't know what this weekend holds but I know there'll be a shady spot in the trees to drop my nest and more friends than I can hug.
Good luck.
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

lurch

Advice on fitting in:
Do not try.
Focus on the next jump you make.
Go completely banzai about it but do it intelligently. Focus on bringing rational judgement to everything you do.

The friends and place you fit into the community will come to you.
I got the name Lurch because when I first started jumping I was a leftover Goth kid before they called 'em goth kids. I specialized in looking as dangerous as possible from long experience in nasty places with psycho violent people among whom the only way to be left alone was to make it quite clear you can and will take em apart with your bare hands given the slightest provocation- Dressed in black, reclusive, scary as hell. The idea of a social scene and community in which I could let down my guard was completely alien to me.

I fit in like a crow at an exotic bird convention.
My first several years, I had a very hard time connecting with anyone. Yet everyone treated me well. But I'd go back to my car alone at the end of every jumping day and just sit there with a beer feeling lonely as fuck and very much the outsider.

I didn't let that discourage me- I was here for the flying, pure and simple. Inside of 18 months I got ahold of a wingsuit when wingsuits were just getting started, and dedicated myself to just flying it.

Eventually went to Zhills where I found myself a little fish in a big pond in the emerging discipline of wingsuits. The ranking flyers of the time welcomed me and I started to earn respect and fit in without really noticing it- too busy flying. Made my share of mistakes, owned em, learned, moved on.

I had no idea how much of an impression all this made at my home DZ let alone the global community.

Bit by bit I noticed that not only didn't I feel like an outsider much anymore but I had connected with people across all cliques and disciplines. As I gained ability and rank in the wingsuit community it sort of spilled over to my relations with jumpers in general and I found myself connecting with all sorts of people. And loving it.

Eventually worked my way up to the heavy suits, made a few of my own, specializing in freefall time, performance flying- everyone's got their own take on what kind of flying they like, mine is extreme performance... distance, duration.

Mastered flocking, became in demand for big wingsuit events. Started getting invited to far more events than I could possibly attend, hit as many as I could, built connections and made friends all over the world.

Last few years have been all about competing- First game, scored in the middle. Upped my game, took a bronze. Upped my suit AND game, ended up taking home a chain of first place wins and then a bucket full of various podium spots, silver, bronze, more gold, whatever. I was and am in it for the fun, challenge, glory, adventure, and friends.

I'm about ready to retire from comps, mission accomplished ten times over, but I still got one more game left in me so I'll be swinging by Elsinore again this fall. I owe Spot a hug and I can't WAIT to hang and party with the Irish boys again. Some of the most fun people I have ever met.

Now I fit in everywhere I go. They keep a spot open for me just in case I drop in. They took care of me when I stopped by the UK this spring. They took care of me in Germany, they took care of me in Hungary, the Philippines, Cali, Florida, Maine... I've got friends at dropzones around the world, from other champions to rank noobs. I don't care what your rank in the skydiving hierarchy, you're either quality people or you're not. I don't have time for the nots because I'm so busy flying and partying with the quality people. Many of them aren't even wingsuit flyers let alone "part of my clique"- has nothing to do with it. We're in the sky, aren't we?

I've got a long-established territorial spot on the lawn at Elsinore just to the left of the front walk where I throw down my portable nest every time I'm in the neighborhood- I drop in once or twice a year. Wingsuit records, comps, whatever. There are friends there.

Same goes for Zhills except I'm still experimenting with the best spot for a tent there.

This season when I ran out of resources to continue competing I was moved almost to tears when my home DZ crew threw a series of fundraisers to help finance my ongoing competition career. They SENT me back to Hungary for a 3rd year at the Marko Mike's game. I had no idea people could be this incredibly awesome. Somehow I never noticed when exactly I became the hometown champion and international representative of my home DZ and the US depending on who is attending whatever comp I've been at lately.
I try not to let all this go to my head- it isn't hard, I just remember I came for the flying and friends and let the social stuff work itself out.

Just keep jumping and doing your best to be a good person and your place in the social scene will work itself out. Have faith in the future cause if you keep jumping you're gonna get there sooner or later anyway.

Fly. Fly with all your heart and let the chips fall where they may. The people you fit in with, will come and find you. Count on it.
When they do, take care of them. They're the best people reality will ever gift you with.
It's up to you.
If you let the small scale stuff spoil it for you, you'll be forever stuck on the small stuff.
Let go, and everything you ever wanted will fall into your lap unasked-for. Next thing you know you'll have people you can call real friends, everywhere you go.
I owe this community everything. I do my damndest to give it back as much as I can. Teach the new birds, fly with everyone...
Gotta go. They're expecting me up in Maine right now. Tiki Bar burning. Haven't missed a Tiki in 13 years and I don't plan to start now. I don't know what this weekend holds but I know there'll be a shady spot in the trees to drop my nest and more friends than I can hug.
Good luck.
-B

:D

Praise the lord and pass the ketchup........

Expected that to end with "he cured, he can walk"

Quality rant.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Be social & learn names
don't be a wallflower
ask questions - but always confirm the answers with your instructors
don't join in on the bashing others
buy beer

don't try to force your way in- that will lead to them talking about you in a negative way - being a nice social person will give you your "in" with time - the regulars see many students that fade out - once they see you your committed they will likely warm up to you.

and when you have 100s or 1000s of jumps remember what it was like to be the person on the outside looking in

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

So I guess my question is this:

How as a new jumper can I make friends at the DZ without being drawn into the politics/sexcapades/BS of the DZ?

You can't. Sometime, somehwere, someone will somehow drag you into it. You just have to deal with the fact that there are fucktards at the DZ as well as in whuffoland. :|
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Deimian

It sounds like I should visit your DZ. Or import the getting naked tradition to mine. Here we just throw people into the pond in underwear. So boring....... B|

What??? Don't people tend to end up naked sooner or later at every dropzone? You should come to Sweden mate, that's all I'm saying.

Anyway, to the OP; just to add on to all the great advice in the thread I would just say give it some time. Some of the nicest people at my DZ jokingly ask about the new guys that have just got their A license if they've bought their own gear yet? "They haven't? Then I probably don't know 'em".

From my brief experience it already seems that so many come to the DZ, make a few jumps or even manage to make it to an A license, never to come back for a second season. I guess it's just frustrating in the end to make new friends every year, only to see them fade out a few months later.

What??? Don't people tend to end up naked sooner or later at every dropzone? You should come to Sweden mate ...

Scandanavians are so much more relaxed about public nakedness than the average American.
Sadly, American society still has a Puritanical streak.
That reminds me of a Bavarian boogie back during the 1980s .... a couple of German spectators were sun-bathing top-less. One of those German women had an awesome pair of watermelons!
"They are just trying to get attention" said my Dutch girlfriend before she dragged me into my tent and ....... let your imagination run wild!
Hah!
Hah!

Xitesmai

So this may seem abit strange but I'm having some trouble understanding the DZ social structure and where exactly I fit in.

So I'm still a student, and I have yet to convince any of my friends to come jump with me. So often I drive down by myself and stay at the DZ two days(typically) sometimes on the weekend and sometimes in the week.

It seems like there are 4-5 groups of jumpers.

Tandems - They come, they pay, they jump, they leave...
Fun Jumpers - They come, they pay, they jump, they may leave depending if they are jumping the next day.
Teams - They are always there, jump all the time, but are not the most social if you're not in their class/crowd already.
Staff - Always there, relatively friendly and easy going

I've noticed at times that there can be tension between the teams, and the staff at times and when you hang out with either group they either bitch about each other, or they talk about DZ elements/goings on that as a fun jumper/student really puts a damper on social enjoyment.

So I guess my question is this:

How as a new jumper can I make friends at the DZ without being drawn into the politics/sexcapades/BS of the DZ?

I hope this question made sense...

Your question makes a lot of sense to me actually. It's a good question.

First off, remember this - a lot of those people at the dropzone have been friends for a long time. You're new, you're in their world. Be a courteous guest until it's your world too. We have had a few people show up at our DZ who unsuccessfully tried to bring it full steam the first few times they were at the DZ. They pretty much are all considered creepy and/or no longer jump at the dz. This happened because they scared people by trying to act like the rest of us who have known eachother for years and years. The sad truth of things is that unless you're a cute girl or a super experienced skydiver you're not going to integrate into the DZ overnight in most cases.

Get to know people, make skydives, focus on learning.

lurch

Couldn't have said that better myself. I jump at a mid-sized-small-dropzone (that's a mouthful) where everyone pretty much knows everyone. We try to be friendly with everyone and stuff - but at the end of the day - my friends are my friends and I don't exactly know a new person yet. Making some skydives with them and seeing that they are trying to learn goes a long way.

As for the comments about the different groups complaining about each other, it's pretty common. The thing you have to remember is that you haven't really been at the dropzone long enough to have opinions on that kind of stuff. If you're around long enough you will. The key is to try and not be a jerk. Be nice to everyone cause it's the right thing to do. Don't complain about things that you can't fix or can't be fixed.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka