Xitesmai

Dropzone Social Dynamics?

So this may seem abit strange but I'm having some trouble understanding the DZ social structure and where exactly I fit in.

So I'm still a student, and I have yet to convince any of my friends to come jump with me. So often I drive down by myself and stay at the DZ two days(typically) sometimes on the weekend and sometimes in the week.

It seems like there are 4-5 groups of jumpers.

Tandems - They come, they pay, they jump, they leave...
Fun Jumpers - They come, they pay, they jump, they may leave depending if they are jumping the next day.
Teams - They are always there, jump all the time, but are not the most social if you're not in their class/crowd already.
Staff - Always there, relatively friendly and easy going

I've noticed at times that there can be tension between the teams, and the staff at times and when you hang out with either group they either bitch about each other, or they talk about DZ elements/goings on that as a fun jumper/student really puts a damper on social enjoyment.

So I guess my question is this:

How as a new jumper can I make friends at the DZ without being drawn into the politics/sexcapades/BS of the DZ?

I hope this question made sense...

You have a two options:

1) Put up with it.
2) Look for another DZ.

If you stick to option #1 you can try to be neutral. Most probably in any group there would be some people that will respect you for not taking part in their beefs. Some other will not want you around unless you take sides with them. I would try to stick around the first kind of people, regardless of which group they belong to.

Also, as a student, there is no reason for anybody to approach you, except those that are naturally open and nice (I like this kind of people, but not everyone is like that). Be aware that it is your "task" to be open and approach people, not the other way around.

You might consider also option #2. Every DZ has its own "microclimate". Explore, have fun, and stick to whatever place you like more.

So this may seem abit strange but I'm having some trouble understanding the DZ social structure and where exactly I fit in.

As a student, you're kind of in limbo for a bit as folks figure out that hey, you're not just a one-or-two jump wonder and you might actually stick around for a while. As mentioned by a previous poster, bringing refreshments and sharing them after hours (with an introduction) can be a good way to meet folks, no matter what "group" they fall into. You may have to make a little effort to introduce yourself, but a beer and a question can open some doors.

Dropzone drama will always be there, but I'm a firm believer in DZs as anywhere else, drama attracts drama. So if you're the kind of person who feeds on gossip (either dishing out or receiving) or the kind of person who prefers to address issues by bitching behind someone's back vs. bringing the topic up directly in a civil fashion, well, you can find plenty of drama. People will always find something to bitch about; it's up to you whether you decide to indulge in it for very long.

Teams may seem antisocial during the jump day. I know that for me when I'm team training, it's not that I mean to be antisocial. It's just that we train on a tight schedule to maximize our day and time with our coach, and training that fast doesn't leave much time on the ground for anything beyond dropping gear with the packer, debriefing/planning jumps, gulping down some water, maybe hitting the restroom or grabbing a snack before it's time to gear back up and do it all over again. On the plane, I'll chat a bit, but I also need to take a good chunk of time to close my eyes, focus, and visualize the jump and what I want to work on. So it doesn't give me much time for being social. But catch me on a fun jump day, or after hours, and I'm happy to be social, or to talk about 4-way, or what being on a team is all about, or what the hell a zircon is. :ph34r:
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

DZ dynamics will vary DZ by DZ... But there will mostly always be some level of drama. Just like there is drama in pretty much any group situation.

The best advice I can give you is to keep going to the DZ, and hang out. Don't commit yourself heart and soul to one group (if that DZ is very cliquish), but be a bit of a butterfly. You may find you click with some people more than other, regardless of what kind of jumping they do.

But, the more you hang out, the more "in the know: you will be of all the BS and drama, and then it's up to you to not get involved.
Remster

Stick around in the evening and ask people about their gear, how their jumps went, crazy past jump stories ect. Jumpers love to talk about jumping. Just keep the conversation about jumping, if they veer into drama topics just kindly excuse yourself. Eventually you'll know who you get along with and who you'll enjoy jumping with. And who the negative nancys are and can give them their space.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

countzero

Stick around in the evening and ask people about their gear, how their jumps went, crazy past jump stories ect. Jumpers love to talk about jumping.

This is good advice. In fact, if you can't manage to keep skydivers talking about skydiving........ Well, maybe the problem is you? :P
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Just don't buy into the drama. If someone starts talking shit, just shrug and say, "I don't know, he's always been nice to me", or "maybe he's just having a bad day" or change the subject to something like, "that's a shame that happened. Hey, how was that 8 way you did today? Did you guys nail it?" Get it?

Krisanne is right about the teams, just don't bother with them during the day. They're spending a lot of money and they are there to train. From the looks on their faces, it's not even fun. :P If they don't stick around later, it's probably because they are worn out. They do a shitload of jumps during the day!

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Deimian

Also, as a student, there is no reason for anybody to approach you, except those that are naturally open and nice (I like this kind of people, but not everyone is like that). Be aware that it is your "task" to be open and approach people, not the other way around.

That's a messed up philosophy and anyone who does this likely doesn't have many real friends. Be friendly to anyone, 0 jumps or 10000 jumps. No reason anyone is better or worse than anyone else. We're all just there to smile and have fun, right? It's sad to know that this stereotype exists

skymama

Just don't buy into the drama. If someone starts talking shit, just shrug and say, "I don't know, he's always been nice to me", or "maybe he's just having a bad day" or change the subject to something like, "that's a shame that happened. Hey, how was that 8 way you did today? Did you guys nail it?" Get it?

Good advice. :)
I'm guessing the OP is not a blonde single woman. :D

Hey, DZ's are full of all kinds of people. Bring some beer and listen to jump stories. Feel free to ask sincere questions (no brown nosing). You'll find out who the friendly ones are. And Krisanne is right. We see a lot of people come and go, so don't be surprised if they seem a little non-committal. Welcome to the sport. :)

As a person who went through some of the issues you are going through now not too long ago, here is my take:

First off, as has been mentioned before, when you are a student you have to understand that you are not seeing how these people will be towards you even 10 jumps from now. They have seen many students come and go, and are leery to spend any real amount of time getting to know you as this may be the last time they ever see you. When I was at 6 jumps, I almost quit because I thought everyone was a bunch of jerks that had their click and wouldn't bother with anyone else. But my instructor had told me in the beginning that once people realize you will be around for a while, they will open up. And it is true. At jump 9 or 10, it began. Once I got my A license, it was like a flood. Everyone started coming up to me asking about my day, jumps, job, other interests, etc. Give it time and more people will gravitate towards you.

The second thing that helped greatly is staying after the beer light came on, and I always bring a 12 pack with me (or at least 6). I share a beer and talk it up. Usually I stay at the DZ hanging out for 4+hrs after jumping. Then you really get to know people.

You will find people at any DZ who think they are better than everyone else, but I have found that to be the vast minority of people.

I have heard that some DZs are very clickish, although I haven't experienced that yet. So maybe your experience will vary from mine, but I have found that the people are half the reason that I skydive. Welcome to the sport!

BeauRiebe

That's a messed up philosophy and anyone who does this likely doesn't have many real friends. Be friendly to anyone, 0 jumps or 10000 jumps. No reason anyone is better or worse than anyone else. We're all just there to smile and have fun, right? It's sad to know that this stereotype exists

I think you didn't understand my point. I agree completely with "be friendly to anyone" regardless of jump numbers. But if you are new in a group of well integrated people, and put yourself in a corner facing the wall, well, not many people will go and push you into being part of the group. That is not skydivers behavior, is standard behavior in many situations. If you move to a new city, and don't look to make new friends, almost nobody is going to go to your apartment and ask you to hang around with them. It has nothing to do with jump numbers, it has to do with being unknown to a well established group.

Deimian

I think you didn't understand my point. I agree completely with "be friendly to anyone" regardless of jump numbers. But if you are new in a group of well integrated people, and put yourself in a corner facing the wall, well, not many people will go and push you into being part of the group. That is not skydivers behavior, is standard behavior in many situations. If you move to a new city, and don't look to make new friends, almost nobody is going to go to your apartment and ask you to hang around with them. It has nothing to do with jump numbers, it has to do with being unknown to a well established group.

Seems about right, In my personal experience I moved to a new dz and it took some time for the people to start getting to know me (and vice versa). Spent couple weekends, finished my student jumps and got A, Always paid my beer fines (and brought beer for no reason) and hanged out with people and nowadays I have plenty of friends at the DZ..

Deimian

Very DZ dependent. At my DZ we have no corners to stand in. You will be forced to explain yourself, drink with us and tell your life story and then possibly get naked. ;)

DZ is an extension of high school.

There is cool kids, there is nerdy kids, and than there are some weirdo kids. The biggest difference between high school and dz is that the dz sucks at female vs male ratio.

Just like seniors will not hang around with freshmens, people with less than 100 jumps tend to hang out with each other, unless they already knew the kid with 1000 jumps even before they started jumping.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

Trafficdiver

Very DZ dependent. At my DZ we have no corners to stand in. You will be forced to explain yourself, drink with us and tell your life story and then possibly get naked. ;)

It sounds like I should visit your DZ. Or import the getting naked tradition to mine. Here we just throw people into the pond in underwear. So boring....... B|

skymama

Krisanne is right about the teams, just don't bother with them during the day. They're spending a lot of money and they are there to train. From the looks on their faces, it's not even fun. :P If they don't stick around later, it's probably because they are worn out. They do a shitload of jumps during the day!

We are having fun, I swear (though sometimes around jump 8 or 9 I have to remind myself of that!). :D:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Every place is different, but I have found all DZ's to be as awesome as you want to make them.

Introduce yourself to jumpers and organizers. Say hello and ask if you can join in on a conversation. Pull up a seat at the DZ bar.

Smaller dropzone's tend to engage new individuals more from the get go, but that doesn't mean larger dropzones are unfriendly or unapproachable.

And if you don't like your current scenery change your location!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P